Am I The Problem?

LondonGuy

Personally, I think it’s like trying to drive a car by reading a book. 
You can’t. 
You can however,get some of the basics like mooring against tide and practice knots. 
But a lot of helming is about feel and experience ie the moment you lose grip from the rudder. 
And the best way to learn, at least on the broads, is to have a go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonGuy said:

There seems to be some problems caused by inexperienced boaters.

Should there be some sort longer/more formal mini-course/induction that is offered to virgins (like me).

Is that practical?  Would it help?

Hi London Guy don`t let some comments get you to concerned, by all means read up on best practice if you wish but just remember we were all first timers and inexperienced at one point, we all survived and have gone on to enjoy many years boating, there is one simple rule that will solve most problems and that is when manoeuvring to do everything slowly and if you are not sure the best course of action accept help from those nearby, I dont think anyone however experienced can hold up their hands and say they get everything right all the time, a gentle bump will do no or little harm which an apology will put right.

Just remember boating is about relaxing and enjoying the environment, you have shown you have the right approach by your posts just go and enjoy your holiday.

Fred

• Like 2
  • Love 1

As has been said before on a similar subject: inexperienced people have been hiring boats on the Broads and canals for years and years and it's only since the coming of the internet and social media that we get hear more about it. I'm sure if we knew how minor car accidents there were on the road everyday we probably never drive!:facepalm:

• Like 1

went many years as a teenager then 20yrs later as a couple and have returned several times and considered going this year ,  while cruising respect the water and should be fine , mooring dealing with nature tide and wind but take your time and restart if necessary ,

10 hours ago, LondonGuy said:

There seems to be some problems caused by inexperienced boaters. . . . . . . . .

There are hundreds of new crews enjoying The Broads every year.  The vast majority enjoy their holiday and come again (and again and again . . . .).  My first experience of a boating holiday was in 1969, aged 13 with my parents and grandparents.  My nan, who hated water and had been nervous of going, loved it so much that she made my dad drive to Lowestoft and book for the following year at Hoseasons offices (where we met Jimmy Hoseason himself), on the way home.

As with every activity, there will inevitably be some who don’t for whatever reason.  That’s life.

There has been good advise on here - take your time, moor against the tide (I find the Aweigh App very useful for this), if you need help ask, most importantly perhaps, take it slowly (especially when mooring) and relax - don’t worry.

As far as choice of boat is concerned, if you’re going to stick to the Northern rivers, I would suggest something like this:

https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/holiday-cruisers/sleeps-4-to-6/aqua-emblem/?arrivaldate=&duration=&flexibility=&sleeps=5

so as not to limit your cruising range if the river levels are high.  Whilst not quite as luxuriously appointed as some other craft, it will be comfortable and will pass under the bridges at Ludham, Wayford and usually Wroxham to allow you the chance to explore the quieter, more picturesque areas.

• Like 1