Trivial Question - Wetshed.

floydraser

And on a lighter note: It is true that I tend to think too much and walking past this wetshed I began to wonder what the vertical flag like things hanging down above each craft are for? I have a vision of someone sitting in the corner of the shed on a summer's day, pulling a rope to make them wave back and forth. :facepalm:

Wetshed.jpg

The same flaps to the right of the image may give the game away. I suspect the roof either leaks or drops flakes of rust onto the boats below and the sheeting was put in the roof to catch the drips but has since fallen down?

The things they hang in the roof of boatsheds never ceases to amaze. It took me ages to work out why a bucket was hung in the sheds at Wayford and even then Doug had to explain the concept of the 'rat bucket' hoisted into the roof space to stop the rats getting at the milk, sugar and tea bags!

• Like 1

Not just me then....

I see Timbo's point about the roof leaking but they look very uniform and seem to be deliberately above each boat. That would likely tie up with Peter's bat idea; it would encourage the little blighters to cr*p elsewhere.

At Rutland Water boats are at the bottom of the food chain below fishermen, who are in turn below the birds. You are not allowed to sail near the bird sanctuary but the birds are allowed to fly over your stored boat. God only knows what they put in the bird feed but they sh*t Polyfiller. :default_2gunsfiring_v1: 

I hate to disappoint, they are very long lengths of board, originally used as a soffit, some ends have come adrift and over time have bent down. They are still secured by the remainder of the board and cant fall off.

The roof is sound but the soffits have been affected by weather over many years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I hate to disappoint, they are very long lengths of board, originally used as a soffit, some ends have come adrift and over time have bent down. They are still secured by the remainder of the board and cant fall off.

The roof is sound but the soffits have been affected by weather over many years.

Oh dear Mark, I am disappointed; I thought I was about to learn about some remarkable technique for looking after old boals. Ah well...:default_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surely 'unused' needs to be inserted between 'your' and 'polishing'?

I'm surprised the two of you thought he would buy any polishing cloths in the first place 

7 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I'm surprised the two of you thought he would buy any polishing cloths in the first place 

Perhaps his old, long since condemned, flannelette combinations were taken aboard in an unfulfilled gesture as potential polishing rags only to be retrieved for their original purpose after the excesses of the Pleasureboat's curry night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps his old, long since condemned, flannelette combinations were taken aboard in an unfulfilled gesture as potential polishing rags only to be retrieved for their original purpose after the excesses of the Pleasureboat's curry night?

The mental image of old combinations hanging above classic wooden broads craft in a wetshed.......:default_smiley-char054:

19 minutes ago, floydraser said:

The menntal image of old combinations hanging above classic wooden broads craft in a wetshed.......:default_smiley-char054:

True story coming up!

Back in time, when I worked in the hire industry, it was not uncommon for boatyards to have a trophy wall or linen line from one end of a shed to another in order to hang abandoned knickers etc. that had been left onboard the cruisers. Valuables were always reunited with the hirer but unmentionables, the grubbier the better, always found their way to the yard's display. There were some crackers there, some with more skid marks than the grid at Silverstone! 

• Haha 1