Old Broads Map

floydraser

I did wonder about the M&GN line in Yarmouth and the old Breydon swing bridge.

As this a Jarrolds map I suspect it will have something around the edge which says when they printed it, and on which OS maps it is based.

By maybe Floydraser already knows this?   :default_smiley-angelic002:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I did wonder about the M&GN line in Yarmouth and the old Breydon swing bridge.

As this a Jarrolds map I suspect it will have something around the edge which says when they printed it, and on which OS maps it is based.

By maybe Floydraser already knows this?   :default_smiley-angelic002:

On the inside cover it says, "This map has been specially drawn to supply all the information necessary for the full enjoyment of a holiday in Broadland". So I would take that to mean anything not helpfull like closed lines and stations would be omitted.

There is unfortunately no border to the map as you can just see on some of the pics. Obviously there was a creative type working for Jarrolds at the time of publication! :default_icon_e_confused:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to revive this thread, I've just read a few notes about the Claxton Tramway. This ran from Staines barn near Claxton Church, through Claxton Manor farm to the river Yare, somewhere a little up river of the Beauchamp Arms/ Buckenham  sailing club.

Believed to have been 2ft (60cm) gauge it was for transferring sugar beet to wherries.., Built just post WW1 it probably used secondhand materials from the military, it went out of use just before WW2 and the track was lifted about then..

I've read an additional note it appeared on some Jarrolds maps, would be interested to see if someone has a map with that showing..

• Like 3

That's the one Thanks, it shows the route, which I had guessed wrongly as being nearer the pub... 

I'm now looking at google earth, and can see where the main run of the line went from the farm, but the detail isn't enough at the river end.. it could of course be buried under more modern river embankments..

Now I know exactly where to look it's off to NLS maps to see if there is anything there , I couldn't find anything before..

No, the tramway is not as far as I can find on any official map.. So sometime I shall have to go for a walk along the river bank

Thanks for your help..

Those are the maps I was looking at, but it's not on there, I did however find this..

https://claxtonpc.norfolkparishes.gov.uk/history/ which if you scan down has a piece of the track showing , supported by two posts behind.. 

That track type is called "Jubilee track", often used at the time, in quarries etc. It can be lifted and moved by a couple of men, a panel at a time, and was often placed on bare earth so there is often no trace left on the ground.

With the comparative lack of information on this line it's definitely a case of "don't tell him Pyke"

I think the brickworks was a bit further north, by the pub, the track certainly resembles that used to relay ammunition to the front line in WW1, i suspect there would have been a fair amount available after the war, making it an easy transport option.

• Like 1

looking at the kink shown on Jarrolds and the satellite version of google maps, it appears to tun alongside the dyke, which does a similar turn near the river, the satellite view shows the browning of the grass in thisarea, which may be an indication of a marshalling yard or similar, i would love to see the lidar of this area.

27 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Thanks for the Lidar thing grendel, I'm going to be playing with that for hours now! :default_eusa_dance:

Don't forget to set your filters from DSM to DTM. If you come across an area not covered on the map, give me a yell as I may have the data sets. I also have a full set of the higher resolution data sets. For maximum fun, drop the data from a specific area into a 3D modelling program. Don't forget to cross reference anything you see with the Norfolk Heritage Explorer which will also provide details of where to report new discoveries as well as a list of known sites and finds.

• Thanks 1