Jabsco toilet wont flush

Guest biggles999

Hi Gang,

I went down to "Tango" today but couldnt get the toilet to flush at all, It pumps the toilet out ok.

I took it apart and it seems to consist of a rubber type gasket seal with two diaphram parts, the plunger washer I coated in cooking oil to lubricate but it still dosent flush, how does the system work anyone please?? :Stinky

Check that part # 35 on the exploded diagram Martin has posted the link to is present, it’s a small spring and can often get lost. Your lavie will probably look slightly different as the drawings are for the new twist lock type, part 29 will not be a cone but a disc but apart from that they are almost identical. Parts are available off the shelf for almost every chandler, a service kit with full instructions is quite cheap and I usually have one aboard just in case I or somebody else is “in need†so to speak. :grin:

Not as daft as it might sound Jonny, operator error is often the cause and certainly worth mentioning, though I suspect not in this case. Some non boater we had aboard once left the thing in the left position and filled or boat heads compartment with sea water as we planed over Breydon, we only noticed when it started coming out of the bottom of the bulkhead door. :o

Hi,

lever set correctly, cooking oil applied to piston and seal, cant find any evidence of a small spring ! what does it do?

They don't all have one! We have two loos aboard Friday Girl and one has the spring and the other doesn't.

One of ours stopped working a month ago so I bought a complete service kit from Peachments in Brundall, about £24, I recollect. Taking it apart and servicing it took about an hour or so and it now works perfectly. :dance:dance:dance

If it has a grey handle it should have a spring John, Jabsco had problems with these a few years ago and introduced the spring, but that was mainly related to poor priming rather than evacuation (no pun intended) Generally whatever is wrong then a full service kit will fix it, you can even replace the pump with one of the new twistlock type for about £60, mind you a brand new lavie is only about £100 from the right source so that's a bit pointless. A word on using too much cooking oil as a lubricant, by too much I mean enough to leave an oxygen excluding layer on top of the holding tank which kills the aerobic bacteria that break down the solids with no smell and allows the propagation of anerobic bacteria, the ones that produce a foul smell. The best additive for a holding tank is oxygen via a properly arranged large bore vent system, I have not used blue in our boat from new and there has never been a pong issue.

It's a pretty agricultural thing I know John, but the article does point out a few differences in the three generations that could confuse anybody who is unfamilliar and just looking at the parts list, but you're right, it's just like a comic strip. ;)

A new pump will fit on the bottom plate along with the new joker valve, you may find a new old stock pre twistlock complete pump at a good price in a backwater, but a full service kit should do unless the pump bore is badly scored. :naughty:

Take care not to overtighten any of the screws as you can crack the housing or strip the body, I really don't know why they don't cast stainless or brass threaded inserts into the things, cost I guess.