Diesel Heater Leak

sorry for another question, but it seems as soon as I delve into one thing I spot another issue that I know nothing about. Noticed today there is diesel leaking from the heater, question is if I switch off the fuel input to it and it keeps leaking so emptying out all the fuel in the hrater , is it like a diesel engine that runs empty and will need bleeding or whatever before it will start again or will it be ok. Obviously don't want to leave diesel leaking until I can get it fixed.

If its like my lorry one, I power the pump by a jump pack until you hear the ticking slow down this indicates fuel at the pump, then reconnect pump to control system then try to fire it, it may take a few attempts, depending how close the pump is to unit.  

5 hours ago, fishfoxey said:

sorry for another question, but it seems as soon as I delve into one thing I spot another issue that I know nothing about. Noticed today there is diesel leaking from the heater, question is if I switch off the fuel input to it and it keeps leaking so emptying out all the fuel in the hrater , is it like a diesel engine that runs empty and will need bleeding or whatever before it will start again or will it be ok. Obviously don't want to leave diesel leaking until I can get it fixed.

With the fuel pump lower than the heater there is only a tiny amount of diesel in the burner to leak out.

Assuming this is an Eberspacher type unit with a small inline solenoid pump, the pump is considered to be a non-return valve. 

I assume the leak is on pipework. In years past, these were often copper with compression fixings. Using ISO rathe fuel hose, this is now unnecessary and we simply use hose clips to secure hoses, often over a swelling on a pipe or a proper flared end. Any joint can develop a leak but the compression ones are more troublesome because, unless just needs nipping up, the unions are tiny and likely difficult to get hold of, especially if you don't know the size. 

Easier to replace the offending part if you can with a bit of iso fuel hose. 

• Like 1

Depending on the type and age of the unit, some of the newer ones have a thermostat controller that you can use to put the pump into priming mode. You remove the fuel pipe where it enter the heater and then via the thermostat controller put it into priming mode which will pulse the fuel pump. Once you see fuel at the end of the pipe, stop the priming mode and reconnect the pipe. Make sure it is leak tight and then start the heater as normal and it should fire up first time. Some units may go into error mode and need a reset if it fails to fire up too many times.

59 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Using ISO rathe fuel hose, this is now unnecessary and we simply use hose clips to secure hoses, often over a swelling on a pipe or a proper flared end.

The BSS doesn't have a section covering heater installations specifically, so I referred to the electrical systems and fixed fuel system sections when replacing mine, in particular when connecting the heater using ISO hose to the fixed fuel system or copper pipe. 

Fuel hose connections must be either pre‐made end fittings on
hose assemblies or hose clips/clamps onto hose nozzles or
formed pipe‐ends.

I think you can no longer just secure a rubber hose on the end of a straight copper pipe. It must be formed or flanged, or at least that's how I read it.

In the end I purchased a new length of copper pipe that had a flare at one end and replaced the run from the fitting on the isolating valve to the rubber pipe going to the pump.

Hi Foxy Is the pump higher or lower than heater if higher it is the fuel draining from pump to heater pump it should be lower than heater and as Andy said the pump is also a non return and flow valve, they are a pulse pump they won't pump if connected to power the on/of of power controlled by heater and frequency of operation is what makes them work/tick,  to check operation remove cable from heater and with a length of cable connected to battery supply flash bare end onto terminal and you will get one pulse repeat to pump/prime fuel line. John

Hi is the pump the part in between the diesel tank and the small copper pipe that goes into the heater? It looks like the leak is from the copper pipe where it joins another copper pipe , both tiny bore pipes with small fittings like a gas connection. I have isolated at the valve from tank and it stopped immediately 

5 minutes ago, fishfoxey said:

Hi is the pump the part in between the diesel tank and the small copper pipe that goes into the heater? It looks like the leak is from the copper pipe where it joins another copper pipe , both tiny bore pipes with small fittings like a gas connection. I have isolated at the valve from tank and it stopped immediately 

Really need a photo.