Boat Insurance - Clause For Concern?

Ray

Pun intended!

Having just received my renewal invitation and a cup of coffee I thought I'd read the thing!

I'm with Craftinsure and am happy with them and will be renewing but I saw a clause in their restrictions which may (or may not) apply to some members that I hadn't spotted before.

There is a restriction against single handed helming for more than 24 hours in tidal waters. Now I don't pretend to know all the exact definitions that may be applied here but privately owned single helms on the Broads may think it's something worth knowing!

Screenshot_20201005-091632.png

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

Pun intended!

Having just received my renewal invitation and a cup of coffee I thought I'd read the thing!

I'm with Craftinsure and am happy with them and will be renewing but I saw a clause in their restrictions which may (or may not) apply to some members that I hadn't spotted before.

There is a restriction against single handed helming for more than 24 hours in tidal waters. Now I don't pretend to know all the exact definitions that may be applied here but privately owned single helms on the Broads may think it's something worth knowing!

Screenshot_20201005-091632.png

Hello Ray,

For boats with canopies the restriction regarding covers & sails not being insured if over 3 years old is also a worry and deduction may be apply to other claims is also an issue. 

I note there is no mention of roof damage for passage through bridges.

It might be a time to look for another provider.

Regards 

Alan

• Like 1

They also won't pay out if, for example, they deem it to be something that should have been dealt with on maintenance - they would not pay out for a fire caused by 2 wires rubbing together and eventually wearing through the insulation. Said it was poor maintenance and refused to pay and it was Navigators!!!!

Like all insurance companies, if there is any wriggle room, they will wriggle!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see if there are any extra conditions applied due to Covid at renewal time this year. Lots of insurance policies have conditions about not leaving your boat uninspected or unattended for more than x number of days or weeks. Due to lockdown earlier this year lots of people were forced to leave their boats for longer periods than they normally would.

N+G do not have any restrictions on solo helming and do allow access to coastal waters with notice for upto 30 days, although best not to start that discussion about suitable craft again :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

For boats with canopies the restriction regarding covers & sails not being insured if over 3 years old is also a worry and deduction may be apply to other claims is also an issue. 

They use "cover" not canopy but I wonder if there is a difference by definition? I would expect a tailored canopy to be part of the boat, being very expensive and made to last. Although they obviously have a limited life span I would expect it to be far more than 3 years.

Mine has a cover which although tailored, I would expect to be defined as vulnerable to wind damage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, floydraser said:

They use "cover" not canopy but I wonder if there is a difference by definition? I would expect a tailored canopy to be part of the boat, being very expensive and made to last. Although they obviously have a limited life span I would expect it to be far more than 3 years.

Mine has a cover which although tailored, I would expect to be defined as vulnerable to wind damage.

Knowing how insurance companies like to wriggle (as already stated) I would be making sure my canopy was covered we all know that repairs are required on them all the time and life expectancy is between 8 to 10 years for the overall cavass.  

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

In fairness to Craft insure, I only posted that one panel of restrictions to highlight the solo helm clause. On the whole I am happy with the cover for the premium.

All insurance is a gamble and like any gamble the odds are with the Booky!

Edited by Ray
  • Like 3

I am also wary of insurers but in fairness I think "covers" refers to a yacht with sail covers and awnings which are traditionally canvas.

I also think that the 24 hour single handed clause means that if you have been on the helm of your boat for more than 24 hours, you are no longer capable of "standing a watch".

If so, I agree with them!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Any insurance company is going to have clauses showing items/areas not covered this is not unreasonable. but some of the claims they receive are far from reasonable, sometimes to the point of being fraudulent. That's when they will wriggle.  

I once worked in Insurance Claims (not marine), you are absolutely correct MM!

I have always found that in cases where the wording or the intent of a clause in a policy is not clear, it is worth phoning the insurer and asking them, then getting them to put their interpretation in writing for you. On the couple of occasions when I had to make such a call, the insurers were happy to do so, and in one case waived the clause in question by agreement with the underwriter. 

• Like 2

My fire on board was far from fraudulent but very very frightening, and neither was the engine poorly maintained but still they wriggled out of it!!!!

When I questioned them in more detail, they readily admitted that had I jumped ashore and it been a total loss they would have paid out, but because on inspection the insulation had worn through, they refused to pay a far far smaller claim!!!! Moral - let the bu**er burn right out!!!! No argument then despite my possible death!!!

Never had to claim on our own insurance and hope we never do.  We did make a claim on damage to her once by a third party, they happened to be insured with the same insurance company that we are insured with so no problems there at all.

That well known saying is still good today

You find out how good an Insurance company is once you do make a claim

We are with Navigators and General BTW - Renewed the insurance last month, just over £400 fully comp.  £3m third party, 30 days at sea with advance notice, any helm / crew are covered whether or not any of the owners are onboard at the time

Griff

Denham Owl is insured through CETA/ MS Amlin. I had a notice to say it will automatically renew on 1st October. I was waiting for confirmation so that I could send a copy of the certificate to the marina for their records as required. Today the marina chased me for the certificate so I checked and it hadn't renewed!

A phone call soon sorted it out but you would hope that there was something in place to set off alarm bells if it doesn't happen. The system failed to take the money or notify anyone of the failure. I won't trust the system again!