Winterising Toilet

Hi another question on winterising. How do i winterise the toilet and shower?  Do i close both inlet and outlet sea cocks and then fill toilet bowl with antifreeze and then put antifreeze down the shower thing on the floor ( sorry don't know what its called), activate both then bobs your uncle. Expert knowledge much appreciated again many thanks

make sure your engine cooling system has enough anti freeze to protect the engine - it will be a sealed system like a car then close the inlet seacock - i used to run the engine for 30 seconds or until water cleared the pumps and pipes  via the exhaust - thats the engine done

i then used to drain all the water tank and domestic system usually i would find a pipe at its lowest point undo and let the water drain in to the bilge ...oh and open all the taps and keep open that includes the shower - no anti freeze required remember most systems drain into the river via the bilge and anti freeze kills 

the toilet - do not put any antifreeze in this .........unless you fancy giving it a refurb at the start of the next season ,simply have a pump out - i used to coat the bowl with some cheap cooking oil for lubrication then give it a good pump around  

if you are worried about your capabilities ......simply pay someone its not worth the worry over winter 

finny

I dont mean to sound nasty but when you use the term " iam guessing " it implies you are not sure ? And you really need to be confident that your boat could stand a hard winter lay up - you only need another beast from the east situation to do serious damage. 

My advice would be to call in an expert. Explain the situation and let them show you the ropes that is specific to your boat .it really is easy when you know your own system it also takes away any worry should the weather take a turn 

Finny

Hi Foxy close water inlet valve leave outlet vale open flush a mixture of antifreeze through toilet then close the outlet valve, then turn diverter valve to tank position and repeat then leave in this position,   with shower leave taps in open position drain water from system and if you have a temperature controlled shower tap you need to unscrew the taps from the body to drain the water that is trapped there otherwise it will freeze and push the disc of the shaft, then when all done flush some antifreeze mixture through shower drain pump . John

• Thanks 1

Just to add water that freezes will only cause damage if confined,   if allowed to expand it wont,   your water butt can freeze solid but does not cause damaged as it can expand upwards hence leave taps open where it can go wrong is if the tap  freezes first blocking off the expansion then the rest of the water freezes behind it,  it can split the pipe or crack the pump body or push out the core plugs of an engine, trapped water freezing causes damage. John

• Thanks 1

Thats the reason I am asking the question on here, that way I won't be guessing in the future. Advice so far on here has been spot on , with many knowledgeable people who have been able to point me in the right direction , and hence save me some marine engineer costs.

• Like 1

Freezeban is a non toxic antifreeze, cheaper too, a far better option for stuff that ends up being spat into the river.

When doing the engine shut seacock and pour antifreeze into weed filter, fire up to pump through while tipping a bit more in then shut down when it's gone, refit weed filter lid.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, finny said:

make sure your engine cooling system has enough anti freeze to protect the engine - it will be a sealed system like a car then close the inlet seacock - i used to run the engine for 30 seconds or until water cleared the pumps and pipes  via the exhaust - thats the engine done

i then used to drain all the water tank and domestic system usually i would find a pipe at its lowest point undo and let the water drain in to the bilge ...oh and open all the taps and keep open that includes the shower - no anti freeze required remember most systems drain into the river via the bilge and anti freeze kills 

the toilet - do not put any antifreeze in this .........unless you fancy giving it a refurb at the start of the next season ,simply have a pump out - i used to coat the bowl with some cheap cooking oil for lubrication then give it a good pump around  

if you are worried about your capabilities ......simply pay someone its not worth the worry over winter 

finny

We have been here last week on a different thread. 

Sorry, Finny, but there is some terrible advice in this post because of a lack of understanding of how the system works. 

Running the engine with the seacock closed for 30 seconds or 30 hours
WILL NOT
empty the system of water. 

The pump can only pump water from a source and push it through the system. if you stop the flow of water, it cannot evacuate the water that remains on the output side of the pump. 

Why will antifreeze mean you need to refurb the toilet? Not putting any protection into it and having a freeze will ensure you need to refurb it. 

EVERY SYSTEM ON YOUR BOAT THAT HAS WATER IN IT NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED FROM FREEZING.

That might be by completely removing the water from it or protecting it with antifreeze

Doing it wrong could cost you a lot of money and could sink your boat in the worst cases. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Freezeban is a non toxic antifreeze, cheaper too, a far better option for stuff that ends up being spat into the river.

When doing the engine shut seacock and pour antifreeze into weed filter, fire up to pump through while tipping a bit more in then shut down when it's gone, refit weed filter lid.

It's also worth gently opening and closing the seacock (ball valve) with antifreeze above it to help gat a bit of protection to to the mating surfaces of that. A ruptured ball valve can be very dangerous to the floating ability of your boat. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

We have been here last week on a different thread. 

Sorry, Finny, but there is some terrible advice in this post because of a lack of understanding of how the system works. 

Running the engine with the seacock closed for 30 seconds or 30 hours
WILL NOT
empty the system of water. 

The pump can only pump water from a source and push it through the system. if you stop the flow of water, it cannot evacuate the water that remains on the output side of the pump. 

Why will antifreeze mean you need to refurb the toilet? Not putting any protection into it and having a freeze will ensure you need to refurb it. 

EVERY SYSTEM ON YOUR BOAT THAT HAS WATER IN IT NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED FROM FREEZING.

That might be by completely removing the water from it or protecting it with antifreeze

Doing it wrong could cost you a lot of money and could sink your boat in the worst cases. 

Dont be sorry Andy  - there was a time when i was asking the same questions because i did not know my boat . as a result i paid a very reputable yard to come and show me and i guess there will be an element of every boat will slightly differ which is why i also advised to seek professional advice - things are only easy when you know how

i missed the bit about trapping antifreeze in the inlet seacock . the first year i paid the other 10 years she didnt sink or cause any problems on re-commision 

finny

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, finny said:

Dont be sorry Andy  - there was a time when i was asking the same questions because i did not know my boat . as a result i paid a very reputable yard to come and show me and i guess there will be an element of every boat will slightly differ which is why i also advised to seek professional advice - things are only easy when you know how

i missed the bit about trapping antifreeze in the inlet seacock . the first year i paid the other 10 years she didnt sink or cause any problems on re-commision 

finny

I hope to produce a video of how to winterise a boat shortly. Having said this, I will also be happy to provide a winterisation service to any boat owner who would like me to do it. I am happy to talk anybody though it. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I hope to produce a video of how to winterise a boat shortly. Having said this, I will also be happy to provide a winterisation service to any boat owner who would like me to do it. I am happy to talk anybody though it. 

Iam not really at my best trying to explain in writing - and i guess there are plenty out there who gain a better understanding visually like me ...sounds like a good idea to me 

finny