The Future?

JennyMorgan

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It is quite uncanny in that those principle churches are placed as they are. Join them up with a pencil line and hey presto, the Great Estuary emerges! I'm almost convinced!:default_wink:

Stands to reason really, it would be quite unseemly if the coffins floated out of the graves at high tide.  :default_dry:

• Haha 1

It's a very good point though - you would never see a flood in a country churchyard, "back in the day".

Beneath those rugged elms ; by yonder yew tree's shade, where heaves the turf in many a mouldering heap ;

Each in his narrow cell forever laid ; the rude forefathers of the hamlet, sleep.

Gray's Elegy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a scientist but over the past 30 years I’ve often noted the progress of the sea nawing away at Happisburgh. Whilst without doubt the frontage has reduced up and down it now seems to be washing away quicker at the sand cliff to the field between the end of the sea wall and the recent car park viz the area to the front of the lighthouse. To that end I’ve wondered if the Church will still be standing when the lighthouse perhaps collapses into a new estuary albeit not long before or after the seacock to the broads is well and truly opened. The marshes at Lessingham drain to Horsey/Hickling I believe.

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

Stands to reason really, it would be quite unseemly if the coffins floated out of the graves at high tide.  :default_dry:

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

After a few tides they drift down to Kent, to Gravesend, further proof, if it were needed, that the Great Estuary really existed. 

They'd have to get under Potter first.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

but over the past 30 years I’ve often noted the progress of the sea nawing away at Happisburgh.

Considering it used to be connected to france a few 100 metres is probably irrelevant, we do think within our own lifescales and expect everything to stay the same, nature is just not like that, geology is long term big time.

I'm sure some on here can back me up with recollections of how it used to be when Pangea was still how it was.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Considering it used to be connected to france a few 100 metres is probably irrelevant, we do think within our own lifescales and expect everything to stay the same, nature is just not like that, geology is long term big time.

Better ask Timbo. I think he would have us believe his ancestor, Swene Forkbeard, walked across there to get to Lincolnshire!   :default_swordpir:

I have to put a little "twist" in from time to time, seeing as I have just had a pillar drill named after me!   :default_eusa_dance:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Turnoar said:

I’m not a scientist but over the past 30 years I’ve often noted the progress of the sea nawing away at Happisburgh. Whilst without doubt the frontage has reduced up and down it now seems to be washing away quicker at the sand cliff to the field between the end of the sea wall and the recent car park viz the area to the front of the lighthouse. To that end I’ve wondered if the Church will still be standing when the lighthouse perhaps collapses into a new estuary albeit not long before or after the seacock to the broads is well and truly opened. The marshes at Lessingham drain to Horsey/Hickling I believe.

Cant remember exactly but I think this was a consequence of defences put in further up the coast pushing the problem further down rather than resolving it, the same thing has happened on major rivers where flood defences installed in one area have only increased the problem further downstream, a case of action verses reaction.

Fred

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 20:17, Turnoar said:

On 09/10/2020 at 08:31, rightsaidfred said:

Cant remember exactly but I think this was a consequence of defences put in further up the coast pushing the problem further down rather than resolving it, the same thing has happened on major rivers where flood defences installed in one area have only increased the problem further downstream, a case of action verses reaction.

Fred

After the 1953 floods Central Government funded "hard" sea defence works to protect the low natural sand dune barriers. Areas that were designated as having "Cliffs" were excluded and were the responsibility of Local Government.

Hence you have the situation of "Hard" concrete at places like Horsey, Palling, Cart Gap etc, then minimal wood structure until Walcot to Cable Gap, then next to nothing again. Unless you count the recent "Soft" sandscaping, which took a battering by both wind and sea recently. 

On my return from holidaying in Wales, post the storm, I was somewhat dismayed to see alot more original wooden defences exposed. Both the 90deg groynes and also those parallel to the sea/cliff face.

20201020_051544-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.ff00f87e4fe5b5eb0018df52ce68ea4e.jpg

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

On my return from holidaying in Wales, post the storm, I was somewhat dismayed to see alot more original wooden defences exposed. Both the 90deg groynes and also those parallel to the sea/cliff face.

20201020_051544-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.ff00f87e4fe5b5eb0018df52ce68ea4e.jpg

"Soft" sandscaping worked well then :default_biggrin: