Electric Outboard Wanted

Sam

Sam - not questioning your judgement (as if!! ) but don't forget the battery will be heavy, will need to be recharged and lifted in and out of the tender!!! They are not all they are cracked up to be , and if you do not have the facility to recharge it on board, you have to lug it home as well - even a modest size battery is heavy and putting it into the tender can be not be considered the easiest job in the world!! Their appeal is limited in the extreme IMHO

There's a very good reason why you don't see that many about on the rivers, but particularly if its a rigid tender you do see lots of oars!!!!

• Like 3

I wasn’t thinking of lifting it in and out. It can stay where it is. Also getting fuel for a petrol one will be a problem. Just want to be able to start it and go.

The tender has oars but I don’t have a young man to use them!!

Yep, Marshman is spot on. If you leave it in the boat you still have to charge it somehow? I had an electric outboard for my 22ft Seal. It worked a treat in use but hauling the battery in and out tests your back muscles and your balance!

Of course the ultimate electric outboard is I guess, the Torqueedo, but they are pricey.

We had one for many years, did the job, BUT . . as others have said, unless you get one with an in-built battery (very, very expensive) you have to lug a battery in and out of your tender. We had an 85 Ah one and it is not an easy thing to manage. Even the ones that have inbuilt removable batteries will need a means of charging on board. The batteries are lighter, though.

On 09/10/2020 at 12:28, Sam said:

I wasn’t thinking of lifting it in and out. It can stay where it is. Also getting fuel for a petrol one will be a problem. Just want to be able to start it and go.

The tender has oars but I don’t have a young man to use them!!

A little 2.5hp Honda, air-cooled, 4-stroke so no impeller to worry about weighs in far less than a battery. As for fuel a 5 litre can will last for ever on a tender. Tip;- Buy premium fuel it last much longer than normal unleaded and has less of that gummy stuff. 

Hi Chris. I don’t want a pull start and getting petrol on the broads when we don’t have a car would be difficult. Hence the reason for wanting electric. Also as I said before, I won’t be lifting the battery in and out. I will charge it in situ. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sam said:

Hi Chris. I don’t want a pull start and getting petrol on the broads when we don’t have a car would be difficult. Hence the reason for wanting electric. Also as I said before, I won’t be lifting the battery in and out. I will charge it in situ. 

See where you are coming from. As someone has said and if you are intending to use your tender seriously. For example shopping as you have no car, then the Torqeedo ultralight range are the Rolls Royce and more importantly "work"  not just a trolling motor. If however your tender is such that you need to move into the "Travel or Cruise" range then it would be hard to justify their price.

EDIT...to say.. If leaving a tender to shop etc...Security is an issue, especially with a bit of kit as desirable as a a Torqeedo.

All it’s for is crossing the river at Horning possibly once or twice a month. I know everyone meant well and thank you all so much for taking the trouble to reply but I put a lot of thought into it and just wanted something which would do the job. I have been contacted by a member who, hopefully, has just what I need. Again, thanks to all of you.

• Like 3