Freezing

PaulMargaret

20 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

It certainly is. 

If Paul and Margaret takes Jean's advice of going to South Walsham however, The Ship has not reopened after the lockdown :default_sad:

:default_beerchug:

Ring the boatyard abd ask them to bring further duvet and blankets.   Who is your boatyard,  most of them are very good.  Can't have you cold. 

• Like 2

for horning is the new inn doing assisted moorings at the moment ?....... horning did have good chinese takeaway too if can  moor themselves at village,.

Horning is where we had to get the engineer to stargem as the engine was cutting out we had to drift to the fancy houses past the wroxham turn where a maid looked horrified we might step on the grass .   when we reported the issues we had on returning ,( the reason we had originally booked serene gem was we knew the cabin space on it but someone had nearly sunk it ) the attitude we were given was we gave you a better boat.  Albeit one we could hardly sleep on and broke down 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

you lose most heat frrom your head, so if you are cold, keeping your head warm is the first step. a nice wooly had helps.

As an aside, you don’t. 
Most important to keep legs and arms warm. And the feet.
We stumble around the motorways with either thermals on or slightly small tracksuits bottoms under trousers and the same with the trunk building up the layers, tight tee, tee jumper coat. 

On Forever Autumn we bought something called an oodie a massive oversize hoodie made of sleeping bag stuff and fur and comes down to knee. 
well warm. 
why isn’t the heating working? A call on the yard perhaps?

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

So we have been for a walk into acle village and made a decision to stay north and next year stay on the south broad preferably in a apartment with a day boat.

any ideas were to go from acle tomorrow

With easy mooring lol if there is such thing 

I hate to say this but I really think you made the right decision.  A trip down to Stokesby, without stopping is worthwhile as it is a really pretty village.  Avoid going beyond Horning towards Wroxham tomorrow as there is sailing (racing) on the  river and that might really freak you out!  It's Horning Sailing Club's equivalent to an End of Season Regatta. Do keep the revs up to charge your batteries though as I note you aren't do massively long trips each day!

Did you get a Pump Out, if not try Southgates just before the New Inn in Horning if you get that far tomorrow - hopefully they will still be open on Sundays?

Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LizG said:

Avoid going beyond Horning towards Wroxham tomorrow as there is sailing (racing) on the  river and that might really freak you out!  It's Horning Sailing Club's equivalent to an End of Season Regatta

In that case Ranworth Island really does sound like a good bet. 

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Low water at Wroxham tomorrow is just before half past 1, why not head back there and use the bridge pilot. Once through the bridge you can moor up again in Wroxham or head on up the beautiful stretch to Coltishall. 

The low bridge means everywhere above Wroxham will likely to be quieter and give you more chance of plenty of room to moor up

Don't forget to make use of the Bridge Inn before you leave Acle however, it's a cracker :default_beerchug:

Enjoy

We couldn't get under the bridge at Wroxham 2 days ago

1 hour ago, Cheesey69 said:

As an aside, you don’t. 
Most important to keep legs and arms warm. And the feet.
We stumble around the motorways with either thermals on or slightly small tracksuits bottoms under trousers and the same with the trunk building up the layers, tight tee, tee jumper coat. 

On Forever Autumn we bought something called an oodie a massive oversize hoodie made of sleeping bag stuff and fur and comes down to knee. 
well warm. 
why isn’t the heating working? A call on the yard perhaps?

Yes heating is working but soon gets cold after engine is turned off

10 hours ago, PaulMargaret said:

Last night on the boat was freezing slept in clothes with extra blankets had heating on the boat until I turned engine off at 8.00pm but the bedroom never seems to heat up just the living area 

Going to acle today would there be anything I can buy like a heater or something I was advised at boat yard not to plug powerful things into our 240v system on the boat but I don't mind buying a electric hook up lead and having separate electric.

Failing that I see there is a travel lodge I could book in there lol

Star Gem2 is showing as having warm air system and 240v.

Unless corrected the warm air system wouldn`t need the engine running as it is diesel fed.

The vent in the bedroom may have the flaps in the closed postion?

I can always fire my heating up with no engine running even on a short days running and I only have 3x 90Ah batteries on domestic system, a good diesel heater shouldn't take too much to run once started.

If shorepower is fitted there should be a lead somewhere as long as you have lecy cards, often there is enough left on leccy posts so check before you load a card to it.

As said before start warm and you stay warm, a hot water bottle in a bed does wonders, I have heating outlets in my berth and spare ducting I run under the duvet and as long as I get into a warm bed I stay warm whatever the weather.

Stick with it, we all make the odd bad mooring even after 20 years and as long as nothing is badly damaged and no-one is injured it's good, as long as you are prepared to appologise to people it's generally not a big thing.(and if it's another hire boat they don't care either)

Guest Jayfire
6 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Yes the heater is warm but I thought once you turned the engine off you had to turn the heating off.

Nope

Just checked in the bedroom there is a little round vent blowing out warm air might be ok now I know you don't have to turn it off with engine thanks 

Hopefully you'll have a more comfortable night tonight then :default_smile:

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

We couldn't get under the bridge at Wroxham 2 days ago

The water levels may have dropped by now though. Low water is a little before 3 tomorrow so if you give the bridge pilot a call just to check but anytime around then will give the maximum clearance. I'm afraid I don't know what the air draft of your boat is however (edit, just looked. It's 6'9")

If you pass through at say 3 however, you will have loads of time to get up to Coltishall, or as I said early, moor the other side of the bridge and stay in Wroxham for the night and head to Coltishall Monday.

If you tell the pilot you're staying in Wroxham, he will moor up for you once you're through the bridge, so one less mooring for you

Enjoy

As Jay has suggested, just because you couldn’t get through Wroxham bridge a couple of days ago doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get through in the next few days. The river levels can change back to normal quite quickly once the weather starts to behave. Glad you missed the strong winds and rain that we had a couple of weekends ago.

15 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Nope

Hopefully you'll have a more comfortable night tonight then :default_smile:

The water levels may have dropped by now though. Low water is a little before 3 tomorrow so if you give the bridge pilot a call just to check but anytime around then will give the maximum clearance. I'm afraid I don't know what the air draft of your boat is however (edit, just looked. It's 6'9")

If you pass through at say 3 however, you will have loads of time to get up to Coltishall, or as I said early, moor the other side of the bridge and stay in Wroxham for the night and head to Coltishall Monday.

If you tell the pilot you're staying in Wroxham, he will moor up for you once you're through the bridge, so one less mooring for you

Enjoy

That sounds great thanks for the advice because of the yacht regatta Sunday might do Wroxham Monday when its quieter and try mooring up at St Bennett tomorrow look easier when we went past or salhouse

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

That sounds great thanks for the advice because of the yacht regatta Sunday might do Wroxham Monday when its quieter and try mooring up at St Bennett tomorrow look easier when we went past or salhouse

Whatever floats your boat, pun intended :default_biggrin:

If you do head to Wroxham Monday, be aware that low water will then be around 1625.

Have a great time wherever you go, and remember we are all here to help if you have any other questions

:default_beerchug:

Can I just say that I was impressed that the first mooring you did was stern on. That was something I avoided until our second trip, so congratulations! Looking back, I think we were very lucky on our first trip. It was the first week of the season (March), so most moorings were empty...which took the pressure off trying to moor before an audience, and the weather behaved itself, so we didn’t have to contend with wind blowing us about either.
As Jean (SwanR) has already pointed out, we have all started out as nervously as you have. To be honest, I’m still learning. 

Was stood outside our local chippy this evening and got talking to a pair of holiday makers off a boat. They too had postponed their holiday until now. They told me that they could cope with the cold but the rivers were desolate and asked me if it was like that in the summer? They too were considering cutting their holiday short. Pity, because the Broads during October can be really special.

We were reminiscing today about October holidays we’ve had. We would usually hire this coming week but are giving it a miss this year. However we have always stuck to the northern rivers in October. It’s always chilly and the water levels have been high most times. 

Guest Jayfire
4 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

So I turned the boat off at 7.30pm and left the heater on but after about 40mins it starts blowing out cold air.

On a more positive note while sat here we have just booked 10 nights next September at the Riverside boathouse Wroxham with free dayboat 

Assuming you have got the heater turned on to the correct setting, you may want to give Richos a call and tell them what's going on.

They will either help you out, or come and see you to sort it out. Especially as you're at Acle with good road access.

Give them a ring in the morning if you're cold tonight, they will want to sort it out for you rather than you not enjoy your stay on their boat.

In other news, I'm glad you have booked a waterside stay next year, it's a wonderful place to be

8 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

On a more positive note while sat here we have just booked 10 nights next September at the Riverside boathouse Wroxham with free dayboat

That sounds like an excellent idea. 

Agree completely what Jay said about the heating. Only other thing you could do tonight is to make sure you’ve checked the Skipper’s Manual for any information about the heating. But a call to the yard tomorrow should help to clarify things. 

• Like 1