Freezing

PaulMargaret

Guest Jayfire
10 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

When we get to Wroxham tomorrow is there a launderette and do you have to take your own powder etc?

Yes there is a laundrette in Wroxham. Having never used it however I couldn't tell you about it's operation currently, sorry

17 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

When we get to Wroxham tomorrow is there a launderette and do you have to take your own powder etc?

Yes there is one just a few yards over the bridge. Know that they can do a service wash for you however being a Monday they may be busy, don`t know about taking own powder. Take around 10 £1 coins for wash and drying. Nice lady there by the name of Lesley.

https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/13672-wroxham-launderette/

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0zDAHovIsAwNGK1WDChPzFHNT8yTjZDPjtBRLY0srgwozCyNTI8PUFIu0RHML46RkL-HyovyKjMRchZzE0ryU1KLUkpJUAA32FqI&q=wroxham+launderette&rlz=1C1JZAP_enGB679GB818&oq=wroxham+lau&aqs=chrome.2.0j46l2j69i57j0.13453j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#

5 hours ago, Hylander said:

According to the details there is 240 volts on board so there should be a cable and if not , why not?

Given that the boat is a 1984 build it is possible that there isn't a shore hook up and the 240v refers to the inverter's output.

From January 2003 mains electricity has been "nominally" 230v so if there was a shore hook up they should really list it as 230v.

I say "nominally" as in reality there has been little or no change in supply voltage, as in the UK it can be between: 230V –6% and +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V).

If I've got it completely wrong I'm sure a certain member of the forum will be along to put me right.

• Like 2

Well there is now mention of a 240 shore power system on Swan Reflection but we know that it does have one.

The same goes for Star Gem.   I would be most miffed if I booked a boat and it said 240 v system and it did not have one.

This is Swan Reflection.

Swan Reflection 240.PNG

Don’t the boat descriptions specifically say ‘shore power’ when there’s a cable provided. I’ve come to this conclusion, having been confused in the past when we were hiring with reference to 240v. On our recent trip on Moonlight Shadow we didn’t have an inverter, so no 240v when underway, but could link up to shore power, so there is a distinction. 

• Like 1

That is true Helen. Swancraft used to wire their new builds up for shore power but left it disconnected. The reason was that it could be easily reversed if the boat was sold on the private market as private owners want shore power! 

But the quality of Swancraft builds rendered this largely unnecessary (see picture above) 

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

That is true Helen. Swancraft used to wire their new builds up for shore power but left it disconnected. The reason was that it could be easily reversed if the boat was sold on the private market as private owners want shore power! 

But the quality of Swancraft builds rendered this largely unnecessary (see picture above) 

Are you saying Howard that Swan Reflection does not have shore power , if so I am going to get my money refunded.

It didn't have when Swancraft had it (I know because I hired it) By that I mean it didn't have a plug in cable

They sold the fleet to Richardsons in 2015 so I don't know what Richardsons have done to it since. 

There are 2 BTW one shaft drive (2) one hydraulic.

If the cable is important might be worth giving Richardsons a bell.

Swan Roamer is provided with a cable but as far as I understood from a Richardson’s engineer it is only for the onboard battery charger.  As far as I could ascertain that was true, certainly no change over switch (shore to inverter).  I would be very very surprised if Star Gem had any type of shore power, I would assume that 240v system just means it has domestic type sockets powered by an inverter just for phone/camera charging etc.

Moon Enterprise, that we had this year, did have full shore power with a changeover switch (and cable) although the engineer that did the handover failed to mention it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sam said:

I’ve just looked at Swan Radiance on Hoseasons and Richardsons. The boat will not support a nebuliser and in Richardson’s FAQ’s it says you can’t bring any of your own electrical equipment.

That is standard wording because inverters are relatively low power and rely on the batteries, I don’t know how much power a nebuliser takes but if you wanted to fun it overnight I guess it would result in a flat battery, not good if you are dependant on it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Are you saying Howard that Swan Reflection does not have shore power , if so I am going to get my money refunded.

I was once told by Richardson’s that they don’t give out the shore power cables however ... there was one on Reflection when we’ve hired it in March the last couple of years and the person doing the handover said we could use it. 

We had problems with it this year and called out the engineers who concluded there was an issue with the cable not the boat. And no one said we shouldn’t have been using it. Plus I’m fairly sure it worked fine on Reflection the previous year. Might have been on number 1 that year and on number 2 this year. 

But even without shore power we had no problems using the heating and keeping warm in cold windy weather in March. The boat is only 31 foot and very cosy inside. 

Richardson’s also don’t sell the electric cards either other than for their own marina. 

8 minutes ago, BryanW said:

That is standard wording because inverters are relatively low power and rely on the batteries, I don’t know how much power a nebuliser takes but if you wanted to fun it overnight I guess it would result in a flat battery, not good if you are dependant on it.

True, but Hylander wants shore power