Freezing

PaulMargaret

7 hours ago, PaulMargaret said:

Arrived at Ranworth couldn't moor so we have moored stern on at the island will stay here now and head for Wroxham tomorrow because there was no other boats managed to moor ok just reversed until I hit the bank and tv shot of the cabinet lol

i wasn;t advising that as a deliberate method of mooring but did warn of falling things  -  never used the island hope you enjoy it , try and get on the stathe another day see the church and nature trail 

• Thanks 1

I did not know much (um...don’t know anything) about onboard electrics. On the hire boats that we had which had shore power there was a common 240v socket that worked when we used the inverter and when we were hooked up to shore power. However, now we have Moonlight Shadow, there are separate (and helpfully clearly marked up) sockets for shore power and the inverter.
So, what’s that all about? Why the difference?

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I did not know much (um...don’t know anything) about onboard electrics. On the hire boats that we had which had shore power there was a common 240v socket that worked when we used the inverter and when we were hooked up to shore power. However, now we have Moonlight Shadow, there are separate (and helpfully clearly marked up) sockets for shore power and the inverter.
So, what’s that all about? Why the difference?

That’s interesting, on our boat the same 3 pin sockets are used for shore power or inverter! I suppose it’s when one or other was added and what cabling was available/installed at the time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vanessan said:

That’s interesting, on our boat the same 3 pin sockets are used for shore power or inverter! I suppose it’s when one or other was added and what cabling was available/installed at the time. 

If you have both it can be fitted with an automatic change over otherwise it will just charge the battery and the 240v is via the inverter.  

• Like 1

I know I spent quite a time while we were at ranworth yesterday assisting several boats mooring, I managed to talk one boat into a boat width stern on gap no wider than the boat, once they had moored, they thanked me as they had only had the boat 2 hours and it was their first mooring. By following advice they managed it perfectly.

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire

Right, I know you're doing it on purpose to annoy me again but...

46 minutes ago, KatieR said:

your

You're or you are 

driving/parking

Helming/mooring

:facepalm:

Im

I'm 

yet to be convinced you know how to use the washing machine at home, let alone somewhere else...:facepalm:

You know fine well I know how to use a washing machine after all the mess your make up made on my soft furnishings during the Potter Moorers Party on the green :facepalm:

Guest Jayfire
12 hours ago, KatieR said:

Me? Doing it on purpose? No...never :default_smiley-angelic002:

You'll be getting a spanking shortly if you don't give over :default_norty:

I only park up? 

:default_rofl:

:default_smiley-angry047: Moor up :default_smiley-angry047:

Hi Ynysmon basically there are three types of shore power/240 volt ac on a boat there is the simple just a cable from socket on the bank to sockets on boat, then there is a inverter that converts 12v dc to 240 volt ac from the batteries,  then there is the all singing inverter/battery charger this connects to shore and charges the batteries provide  240 v ac from the shore but if the shore power drops out or is disconnected, ie when sailing of it then converts 12v dc from batteries to 240v ac all automatically then when the cable is connected to shore it then recharges the battery and as well as 240v from shore, you then can get this in pure sine wave as at home  or modified sine wave that only works for non led  appliances hope this helps . John

• Like 1

Hi all went back to Wroxham today moored up rang Bridge pilot and he said he has not taken anyone under the bridge since 26th September and if levels lower and we got through at somepoint this week then they would be no guarantee we could get back.

So visited laundrette stocked up on shopping could not get a TV signal were I was moored found a very difficult spot to move to tried it couldn't do it so rang richardsons day boats at Wroxham and a very helpful gentleman came and moored us into a better place.

• Like 3

If you haven't got anything with you to indicate journey times, then if you go to Handy Information at the top of the page here, you can get to a drop down menu with a document listed of Journey Times and Cruising Distances. You might want to check out how long it will take to get from one place to another to help plan your remaining time.

Wayford Bridge is lovely but there is probably only room for about three boats at the mooring - you might not want to chance going through the bridge as it's another one with low headroom where you have to be careful even if you should get under depending on the river levels up there. But it's still a beautiful stretch of river to cruise.

Sutton Staithe is very nice and a popular place for people spending their final night before going back to Richardson's. I've lost track of how much more time you have afloat. Paddy's Lane is a favourite of mine and where we have headed for on our last night. But if you haven't explored the River Ant yet then it's well worth taking your time and meandering up there. I know that when hiring from Richardson's if you're not careful you come straight down it after picking up the boat and then only get back there when you're headed back to the yard. It's a beautiful river and takes a slower pace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Wayford Bridge is lovely but there is probably only room for about three boats at the mooring - you might not want to chance going through the bridge as it's another one with low headroom where you have to be careful even if you should get under depending on the river levels up there. But it's still a beautiful stretch of river to cruise.

There is also a visitor mooring at Wayford Marine, £15 overnight charge.