Freezing

PaulMargaret

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

Yes that was me I help the barns brinkcraft moor up in front of us

I thought so ... there you go. That is wonderful to hear. I do so hope that you can relax and enjoy the days you have left of your holiday. That weather certainly hasn't helped anyone either. Absolutely poured with rain again this afternoon. More like April than October!! :default_drink_2:

Strange isn't it!

Nipped over to N Norfolk for lunch and a stroll along Holkham beach - heaving it was but brisk breeze and quite dry. Lord Ponsonby must be tickled pink he can collect all that money just for people parking their cars!!

Bonus too in that I saw a little flock of Goldcrests and several Stonechats - made my day even if I forgot to take my bins!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Quick question if you are moored tight in-between 2 boats whats the best way to leave?

Steer in towards the bank and give a short blast forward to kick the stern out (without actually moving forward) then go astern out into the river, if need be another forward blast to kick out further still steering towards bank and astern again, once out into the river move off.

You leave the steering towards the bank while you reverse as it won't make any real difference, just remember to centre it before moving off.

I leave most moorings backwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jayfire
12 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Quick question if you are moored tight in-between 2 boats whats the best way to leave?

I'm not sure I can explain this very well in text but here goes...

Turn the wheel towards the Quay and gently throttle forward so that the stern of your boat begins to turn into the middle of the river, go astern to move the bow off of the mooring if needed, before forward again to turn the stern further and further into the river

Only when you are pointing at the opposite bank do you want to go hard astern to "reverse" out into mid river away from the boats and bank and then when well clear you can adjust your course to straighten up and cruise away

Edit.... I think Smoggy explained it better than I did but I knew what I meant :default_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Steer in towards the bank and give a short blast forward to kick the stern out (without actually moving forward) then go astern out into the river, if need be another forward blast to kick out further still steering towards bank and astern again, once out into the river move off.

You leave the steering towards the bank while you reverse as it won't make any real difference, just remember to centre it before moving off.

I leave most moorings backwards.

Thanks smoggy will probably have to give it a go👍

To add to the above. Loop your bow rope around a post a little back from the front of the boat. (This will stop the boat nudging forward.) If your crew member holds the other end of the rope whilst remaining on board, once the stern is out the rope can be released very easily. Hope that makes sense. 

I had wondered whether you were going to be sandwiched in between other boats this morning. We also leave most moorings by going astern. A very helpful private owner taught me that at Reedham. Only my third mooring on my first time out. Tide running out fast and I was going with it not against it if I tried to go forwards. Could not see how I was going to get out and hubby had the ropes off. A very kind person called across to me as to what I needed to do. And you have to sometimes go further back than you think before you're far enough away from boats and the quay to be able to go forwards along the river.

An invaluable lesson that I have been grateful for and still remember so well. 

I would like to just add that when reversing away from the quey with the tide/wind running reverse all the way over to the far bank before you turn/maneuver this will prevent you hitting the boats/bank that you have just left so many just reverse a short way then find that by the time the boat responds they are in danger of hitting moored boats and predictably then give it full throttle with predictable results.John

• Like 1

Hmmm .... well all the moorings up the Ant are lovely as it's such a beautiful river. Have you got a map on board? The yards usually give them out. Irstead is nice if you can get on it but would be very soon to stop for the day after leaving Ludham Bridge so perhaps a cruise further up, then come back down and see if it's free, and then if not head back down to How Hill.

Paddy's Lane also known as Barton Turf is lovely. If you can get right up to Wayford Bridge between people leaving from one night and others arriving for lunch, then that's a lovely stretch of river to cruise. And the moorings are right by the Wayford Bridge Inn where the food is usually good although right now you would have to book probably. 

If you need pumpout, water and shopping then a trip back to Richardson's might be a good idea. But I would do that tomorrow rather than Saturday as they will have turnaround days going on, even tomorrow, and probably be busy. You could give them a call.

With five days still left I would work my way up the Ant but still come back down and maybe go back to Ranworth Island or try for the staithe. Saturday might be a good day for that with so many boats on their changeover day. Between there and Horning is Cockshoot Dyke, another little gem but nowhere much that you can get to and the boardwalk is currently closed to the broad. Still a lovely quiet mooring if you can get in.

That's all my ideas used up for now. :default_icon_wave:

PS lovely to see you both, thanks for sharing your photos. :)

• Thanks 1

Guest Jayfire
43 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

We left potter perfectly thanks for the advise we are now at ludham Bridge not sure were to go tomorrow we still have 5days but want to stay on the ant heading back towards stalham.

Lots of places along the Ant well worth a stop. And with 5 days you still have plenty of time to visit them.

Enjoy your day at Ludham Bridge, the Dog Inn is just down the road, don't hang around though, you never know who you'll end up bumping into... :default_beerchug: