This Is Not A Masonic Lodge.

I am not sure how to put this, as I am always glad to answer questions and enter discussions about boat maintenance, and even maritime regulations.  I see it as something that I can contribute, in return for all that the forum gives me.

There are limits however, beyond which it becomes an imposition.  I have been approached a few times recently by members  who hope I can sort out all their problems with their boat in France, or when bringing their boat to France.   I only say this because, no matter how politely I try put it when I refuse, this can so easily offend.   This may be because people are not able to travel to France so easily themselves during the COVID crisis but I am long retired now and simply cannot be expected to act as a benevolent local agent.

France is a very large country and I am not a journeyman winterising mechanic, an agent for procuring moorings, a certified marine surveyor, a sales broker, an intercession service for local authority registration problems, an international transport manager, a crane hirer or a customs freight forwarding agent. 

I advise members who are thinking of taking their boat to France that Brexit will make no difference to the maritime and local laws that have existed there for decades.  If your boat is not built ERCD Cat. D., it will still need to conform to the old French standard, known as "5ième catégorie Mer" or it will not be allowed to navigate.  There is no comparable British building standard that the French will accept.  You will also need a French inland skipper's licence, called a "Permis Fluvial".  RYA Yacht Masters is not accepted on French waterways.  If the boat is not British Registered with Lloyds List it will have no status in France after a few months.  Short visit tolls only, are allowed for visiting boats that are not registered in International Maritime Law.

If you are going to cross the Channel for a summer or more in France on your boat, you should not do so without obtaining a "Carnet de Passage en Douanes" from UK customs before you set out.  Otherwise when you come back again to continue your cruise, you may well find your boat chained to the bank by the Gendarmerie in the nice little village on the canal where you left it!

• Like 7