Newbie Broads Boater

Dyer1984

Hi everyone. Thank you for accepting me to the group. Having only previously been on the broads as a child I have my first boating holiday as an adult with my family coming up in a couple of weeks. 

I have booked the prince of light from herbert woods Potter heigham for 4 nights. Its probably been asked a 1000 times but looking for any tips/advice for a newbie, especially for this time of year when its alot colder. 

I'm thinking of leaving Potter heigham and stopping at horning the first night. Second night stopping the the acle Inn after visiting Wroxham. 3rd night/day spending it in Yarmouth and the 4th night at the lion Thurne. Does this sound a good plan of action? Feel free to offer any other advice or places not to miss. Thank you in advance. P.s can't wait 🙂

• Like 3

firstly a warm welcome to the NBN 

If you have an oil filled radiator at home ,and your boat has shore power, then bring it along Is the best way to be snug at night and more peaceful than the hot air heating aboard , obviously dependant on hook up being available .

bring a squidgy to clear the condensation off the screen when underway as it can mist up , again a 12v car plug in demister is Invaluable but dependant on 12v socket on the helm .

If that’s half term have some back up plans for moorings. If you haven’t been to the Broads for ages make sure you are familiar with the advice for going down to Yarmouth where the tidal current will be strong if you arrive at the ‘wrong time’...and even if you have read up the advice beforehand, it’s always a good idea to ring up the Yacht Station there for the latest advice.
If your boat doesn’t have shore power you should still be cosy if you bring hot water bottles with you and warmer night gear than normal. Extra fleecy blankets probably would help too. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome

Prince of Light is a fairly new boat, compact but a good choice for this time of year. I've been aboard one of the Adventuring Light class which is a sister craft. This was a couple of years ago when the 'Beast from the East' struck. From what I recall it was certainly warm enough. 

Being a new boat it should be in good order and have good heating. Check that the heating is working properly before you leave the yard. It should be fine. As others have said some extra blankets would not come amiss. Woods are usually pretty helpful and I'm sure would give you extra duvets or bedding if you ask. 

Your route looks good, not too ambitious. Take note of the tides, take it steady and always have a Plan B if circumstances change. 

Have fun and please let us know how you get on. If you have internet connectivity you can always ask us anything en route - always happy to help if we can. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, doc said:

something i wouldn't have thought of b4 seeing the flooding pics , wellies (or is that only down past yarmouth) take sleeping bags, and the usual tin opener , torches , long matches 

Non stick frying pan is handy too. Agree with the tin opener as well - they never work. It's a small modern boat, I don't think you'll be cold. 

Having had some rain (and wind!) during our fortnight at the end of September, I was hoping that people on their boats in October would have better weather. (That’s the beauty of the forum...at least if you can’t have the ideal weather yourself, you can appreciate your fellow boaters having the perfect day on the Broads. Especially if they share photos and videos.)

Where’s our autumn for goodness sake!

Good point Andrew, having never actually stopped at Great Yarmouth Yacht Station I’d forgotten that it closes for winter. Just checked their website, they are closed from 1st November, so they might just squeak in if they manage to before the end of the month.

Welcome to the forum. 

Everyone has their viewpoint so here’s my little list!

Have never bothered taking any kitchen equipment. What’s on board is fine for a few days. 

Sleeping bags ensure you’re warm at night. And dressing gowns to slip on for those cosy darker evenings on board, they are a great extra layer. 

Have some cash with you for those few moorings where you have to pay. Ranworth Island is one of those but it’s fairly central so makes a great back up if other places are taken. 

You can’t do it all in four nights but I would go up the Ant rather than down to Yarmouth. That’s a place possibly better visited by car especially out of season. 

If you want to do Horning it’s worth considering booking a mooring and table at the New Inn. 

Have a great time and let us know how you get on and how you like the boat. :default_icon_wave:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

I must admit I'd overlooked the 4 day bit. I also wouldn't bother with Yarmouth given the time constraints. Maybe have a look before or after your boating break if you have time. 

Totally agree with NN and Jean give Yarmouth a miss - go by car before you go home or drive through on the way there!  Judging by the recent rainfall I would definitely take wellies as the grass on some moorings will be long and there is nothing worse than wet shoes and feet! Make sure they have some grip though or yachty type ones!

• Like 3

Beware of the wood on top of moorings, very slippery when wet. 
so with that in mind run through mooring routine with crew. 
electric cards buy plenty. 
Before shower really warm boat up!

if it rains a lot then drying coats will be problem and towels so dry them by hanging them in warm air flow from heating while going along. Your making power so why waste it

it rains inside your boat as well so we keep cabin doors open to even out condensation 

Bring gloves for wet mooring ropes

when cooking open a window to let out steam 

Torches remember them. 
long cruising runs for hot water and power 

set that tv Ariel before settling in for night

Dew will make outside of boat wet and slippery 

check for connecting stuff before leaving mooring 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Beware of the wood on top of moorings, very slippery when wet. 
so with that in mind run through mooring routine with crew. 
electric cards buy plenty. 
Before shower really warm boat up!

if it rains a lot then drying coats will be problem and towels so dry them by hanging them in warm air flow from heating while going along. Your making power so why waste it

it rains inside your boat as well so we keep cabin doors open to even out condensation 

Bring gloves for wet mooring ropes

when cooking open a window to let out steam 

Torches remember them. 
long cruising runs for hot water and power 

set that tv Ariel before settling in for night

Dew will make outside of boat wet and slippery 

check for connecting stuff before leaving mooring 

If TV aerial is manual setting look at which way any nearby houses have theirs pointing (One transmitter covers most of Norfolk)

Electric Cards for Broads Authority 24 hour moorings are different to those used in boatyards if you moor up in one of those so check before staff go home!

1 hour ago, Cockatoo said:

Another thing to remember about Yarmouth is that it is a long walk/bus ride to the town center and seafront.

No it's not. It's a 15 minute walk (at most) from the Yacht Station to the Market and about 10 mins from the market, down Regent Road to the seafront. 

3 minutes ago, LizG said:

Absolutely - lethal!  Like skating on an ice rink with smooth shoes!

You want to try it in heels :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Wussername said:

Do not forget your winceyette pyjamas. 

What on earth are winceyette pyjamas?

Personally I wouldn't give Great Yarmouth another thought, the moorings there scare me half to death if I'm honest. Seeing as it's just a 4 day trip I would stay North, do Yarmouth when you come back for a week or two. I just feel it would be a waste of time on a short trip. Go to Acle and the lovely Bridge Inn though, not to be missed x

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

No it's not. It's a 15 minute walk (at most) from the Yacht Station to the Market and about 10 mins from the market, down Regent Road to the seafront. 

Its Oulton Broad to Lowestoft which is a long way ! (Tried it with two 11 year olds and a dog on a hot summer day)!

• Haha 1

Some excellent advice, I'm sure the OP will settle down with a cuppa to read it!

As usual there is a divergence of opinion over Great Yarmouth - each to their own I suppose! It is a brisk walk but quite do-able. We don't know childrens ages, with toddlers might be a bit more awkward. 

I was given a demo of one of the Adventuring Lights by HW. Same but with bow thrusters. This was with an inch of snow on the quay. It's a small well built modern boat and was very cosy. I wouldn't want to give the OP the impression theyll be cold, sensible clothing and bedding theyll be fine I'm sure. 

• Like 2