Newbie Broads Boater

Dyer1984

The only other pubs I know you can book moorings are on the southern rivers

The Ferry House at Surlingham and the Reedham Ferry no charge

I believe you can book a mooring at The Waveney River Centre which is chargeable

we popped in there lunchtime a few years ago and had to take out a mortgage for Mandy’s Pimms!  😉

20 hours ago, annv said:

Stracey arms would be best you can always get in there, the guy in the restaurant/cafe does/did a taxi service alternatively ring bus company and find out if they will stop as a request stop at the site, there is a lay by there where it use to stop in the past . John

X1/X11 is an express route with only one stop in Acle a mile or so from river & no safe place to stop anyway 

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
57 minutes ago, Puddleduck2 said:

Why all the discussion of Acle & Stacey?  The questioner is only here for 4 nights and it has already been suggested that he stays  on the upper Bure, Thurne and Ant. If he needs to go to Yarmouth he can easily get back to his car at PH and drive in.

Just saying...

General chit chat, information for anyone reading.....oh and this is the NBN where thread divergence is the norm, especially when I turn up :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

Another thing I was wondering you experienced boaters might know, if not I'm sure the boat yard will tell me but are you able to have the warm air heating running on the boat once you've stopped and moored and the engine is no longer running? Or does it only work when traveling along and engine on? Thanks 

Yes, you should be able to run the heating when moored up in the evening, but you need to ‘feed’ your batteries earlier in the day in order to do so. 

The advice from yards is to make sure you have run your engine for at least 3-4 hours each day (preferably whilst cruising). That charges up the batteries so that you can run your heating in the evening, and also heats up your water supply. Beware of using a microwave oven though...that really drains the batteries. 
Sitting on a mooring running your engine for any length of time won’t make you popular with people moored close by, and the generally accepted convention is that you shouldn’t run engines between 8pm and 8am. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dyer1984 said:

Another thing I was wondering you experienced boaters might know, if not I'm sure the boat yard will tell me but are you able to have the warm air heating running on the boat once you've stopped and moored and the engine is no longer running? Or does it only work when traveling along and engine on? Thanks 

Does your boat have shore power hook up?

On 16/10/2020 at 08:39, Puddleduck2 said:

Why all the discussion of Acle & Stacey?  The questioner is only here for 4 nights and it has already been suggested that he stays  on the upper Bure, Thurne and Ant. If he needs to go to Yarmouth he can easily get back to his car at PH and drive in.

Just saying...

it's a circus 

On 14/10/2020 at 19:01, Dyer1984 said:

Hi everyone. Wow lots of replies. Only just now had got the chance to sit down and read them all properly and reply. 

Yes we're going during half term week (that's if Boris doesn't lock the country down again). My two girls are 11 and 8 so not too young. Thanks for the many tips and advice. I'll look into booking a table/ mooring at horning and consider giving Yarmouth a miss. Maybe we'll taxi into there from somewhere else. We wanted to visit there to go to the circus at the hypodrome. 

for puddle duck 

I have had boats, even relatively new, where in October and March I have had to run the engine for 5 minutes or so to get the heating going. And there was one where the skipper’s manual even said to only run the heating for one hour without running the engine again. Needless to say we tried to get hooked up to electric posts overnight on that one. 

We do try to resist putting the engine on too early and having the kettle and the grill on for toast does generate a bit of warmth. But if no other option then I consider that once it’s past 7am on a cold frosty morning then it should be expected that someone might have to put their engine on for a short time rather than be cold. 

• Like 2

Hi Dyer There is no reason why the heating cant be left on all night or all day, the only reason why it wont is lace of diesel (most unlikely} or no/low 12 volts  battery supply this is governed by how efficient/large your batteries are and by how much you have replaced/charged them be it shore power via on board charger or running the engine to recharge the batteries which is governed by how big the alternator is and for how long and it takes to replace the charge. think water butt if it is empty a light shower raining all day will refill it over time or a short heavy shower may only fill it half way.and if you need to start the engine to fire it up it's because the wiring too small or bad/corroded connections. John

• Like 2

Ours uses about 3 to 4 amps after start, so my battery is 110 amp and the alternator is 70 amp. 
so all night operations plus lights and fridge plus tv takes it the battery down to around 70 amps cold weather. 
Most craft can easily last the night and a couple of hours running on good batteries and all’s well. 

• Like 1

If only people took the trouble to grease all the electrical connections when first constructing them they would be trouble free through their life cycle, a minute now rather than hours later along with more wear and tear on other components, a stitch in time saves nine. John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys a few asked to let you all know know how we're getting on. First full day today and all is going well. Got the boat at 14:30 yesterday at herbert woods. By the time we had the induction and a little test drive time was getting on and was at least 15:30 so had little time to get somewhere to moore up. Was going to stop at thurne but that looked packed with people pulling in so headed to acle Bridge Inn. Managed to moore up in one of the last few spaces just before dark. Had a lovely meal. Today we left and travelled to Ranworth but that was busy with no where to moore up and be able to go in the pub. Carried on down the river and managed to find a space outside the ferry inn at horning. Just been in for a drink and booked a table for this evening. Tomorrow planning on stopping at Wroxham somewhere to fill up on water and empty the waste then heading onto Coltishall. So far so good guys and the girls are certainly enjoying it 

20201027_121537.jpg

• Like 10