The Papers And News This Morning

ChrisB

There appears to be a growing lobby for a "Short, Sharp, Circuit Breaker" lockdown to include the half-term holiday later this month.

I can see the logic, and the reasoning, especially stopping alot of what is really non- essential travel but it is going to give the holday industry serious end of season woes should it go ahead.

I would be surprised if this happened in England so soon after announcing the three tier system. But never say never with this pandemic.

My personal feeling is that enforced travel restrictions should be part of the measures taken to stop the spread of the virus geographically. But I’m no expert and have to hope that people will follow the guidelines that have been given. I know a number of people who refuse to download and use the track and trace app. How does that help any of us?

• Like 1

Scientists called for a circuit breaker in September. If our country is going to do everything late and in half measures then it will be a long hard road out of this. Although a circuit break would be another huge draw on tax payers money and commerce and employment, the cost of not acting in time will eventually overtake it. Not to mention that every time another scheme fails the public lose confidence and fail in ever increasing numbers to observe the rules.

I can hardly bear to read or watch the news anymore!

• Like 5

I think a lot of people are worried about the security side of what is an open Bluetooth application.

My main mobile exacty mirrors my tablet an contains a lot of private financial information. 

So I will not be putting it on that one.

The country may be perceived as doing things late, but until people take responsibility for their own actions and act sensibly and take reasonable precautions and protect one and other we are never going to beat this virus.

On Sunday I went shopping in the local supermarket and crouched down to select something of the bottom shelf. Whilst there a woman came up behind me and leant over me to select something from a higher shelf. If I'd have stood up fast I would have knocked her flying, which with the benefit of hindsight is exactly what I should have done. Instead I stood up diagonally sideways and out of her way before remonstrating with her. Invading someone's personal space in that manner wasn't acceptable pre covid, let alone now. I let her know how annoyed I was and got a very weak apology. Will it make her think twice before doing it again, I hope so, but somehow doubt it. She was in too much of a rush to wait for someone to finish their selection and move on.

The local pub the other day two guys walked in and signed in no masks. They were challenged by the bar man and told they needed to wear masks. They both pulled their t shirts up over their face and were about to walk to a table when they were told to wear a proper mask or leave. They started to take the mick and argue and were asked to leave, but were still arguing when they realised that the growing angry comments from the other pub customers had won them no friends and decided to hastily retreat. How many other shops and public places had they used this attitude. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Whilst I see the logic of track and trace and support its use I fail to see why more information is not available on my laptop, such as how many cases have been reported in my local area thus I would then attempt to avoid obvious hotspots. 

Your wish, Oulton Broad West currently has 0-2 cases between 3rd to 9th October.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076

• Thanks 1

Another problem with this application, that I can see, is because of Safeguarding, security, Industrial Secrecy etc, many prople are not allowed mobile phones in their workplace. Every smartphone has a camera of serious quality compared with a few years ago.

Anyone remember the "Minox" ? Instant dismissal if caught with one in one of my roles and worse.

209142017_220px-Minox_Riga_with_Minostigmat_35_F15_lens.jpg.f347646b6a18655af53ed9bf7807ae29.jpg

• Like 1

Track and trace was enormousy over-promised and has vastly under-delivered.  We will never be as good as Germany or the Asian countries at this because we are not an "obedient" or a well-educated society. I can't imagine the toxic under 25's who congregate in city centres after the pubs close bothering with the app or the host of middle-to -late-aged  "geezers" who can't be ar*sed to wear masks and won't be told taking the trouble either. Neither will be the South Asian contingent who obey their own laws.  Social Media has been awash with "anti-mask" and "anti-vac" propaganda, no-doubt emanating from somewhere close to Red Square and that stuff sticks as well. Combine this with the blatant politicising of the epidemic by opposition politicians and local councils and you have a perfect mess. Presided over by the over-privileged and under-competenced Baroness Dido Harding. Yes-she who presided over the near demise of Talk-Talk and had to have hacking explained to her after the company had been hacked.  It is amazing where a politics degree from Oxford and a friendship with a few senior Tories can get you,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't understand the half of it, I really don't but what I do know is I have two children and a vulnerable Dad to protect and do all I can to do so. I've been out a couple of times to Wetherspoons for a couple of drinks with the girls, I noticed as the evening wore on, the more drinks people had the more distancing went out the window, I got out of there and headed home

Unfortunately there are some people who flout the guidelines (whatever they may be at the time) they just don't care or really don't understand the risks they are taking for themselves or their loved ones. No amount of rules or lock downs are going to change that or the minds of selfish people I feel.

What's the answer? I haven't got a clue only that I think we are all going to have to learn to live with this dreadful virus and the new normal  that comes with it x

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Don't be so sure that the German track and trace is that  much better than ours - the last figures I saw were that only 18m had been downloaded and like ours, it has it glitches!! Admittedly thats better than our 10m but its been going a lot longer!

These track and trace systems work best when there are no cases - as soon as numbers ramp up them they tend to fall apart!!

Grace hit it on the head about the bars and drinking! The more people drink the less careful they will be, the more they start talking and shouting, the more likely-hood of infection!  I am not so sure that restaurants are quite so bad as long as everyone leaves when they have finished eating and don't carry on drinking?

I'm going back to work tomorrow in the opticians!!!! We assumed my daughter would be almost back having chemo so I would be OK but she isn't just yet.  She told the doctor yesterday and he was totally un-phased about it.  He said most people that appreciate the risks are okay! 

I will have to go in wearing my walk to work clothes, with a mask on.  Change into a completely clean set of clothes (work acceptable wear of scrub top and black trousers).  Wear work provided masks all day and before going home change back into my walk to work clothes, putting everything else into a pillow case and to wash it immediately I get home.  I am going to be very careful where I keep my home clothes during the day to avoid cross contamination!  The optometrists have even more protective wear!

Any patient entering the building has had to make an appointment, has to have their temperature taken and sign a declaration that to their knowledge they are covid free - no casual walks in!  It will be different and of course everyone else has had nearly three months to get used to the procedures!

My hands are going to really suffer due to the constant use of hand sanitiser and sterile wipes!

Wish me luck!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Wetherspoons

I think that speaks volumes! Tim Martin! Don't go in them unless I'm forced but I take the point. 

The pubs I go in are very well managed and go to great lengths to keep everyone safe. 

Its a difficult one. Perhaps the 'circuit break' might not be a bad idea - I'd rather not be able to go the the pub for 2 or 3 weeks as an alternative to another long lockdown. 

• Like 5

The circuit break would bring us back to where we were 28 days ago, not much help if people then carry on as before.

There is a lot to be said for restricting movement to and from  high level areas though.

Why lock down the South West, South East and East when the problem is in the North.

The Government don't spead the virus, people do.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think that speaks volumes! Tim Martin! Don't go in them unless I'm forced but I take the point. 

I get where you're coming from re Wetherspoons Mr N, the alternative is a pub up the road where if you're over 21 you're too old, you're lucky if you don't get groped or propositioned and even luckier if you get out alive :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
29 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The pubs I go in are very well managed and go to great lengths to keep everyone safe. 

Having been in a lot of pubs over the last few months I have to say that I have only experienced exemplary observations of distancing measures, and I'm up North in the land of the dead.

Certainly nobody flouting any guidelines no matter how much they've been drinking. Keeping the pubs open has been far too important for that :default_beerchug: