Hired Bookings Up 2021

Andrewcook

Hi Andrew, i think the yards started hiring out from about the third week of March in 2018, when Easter was on the 1st April. This has continued since then, though I notice 2021 starts around the third week in February, for some (not all) boats. This is no doubt in response to demand from those people who couldn't get afloat this year, and of course, it helps offset the losses incurred between March and July this year. It's apparent on the various Broads social media sites, that many people are booking February and March breaks. 

• Like 1

The yards were already hiring from the end of February this year - we went out second week in March before any kind of lockdown. And we have the same time booked for next year. But there was very little left for the boat I wanted. 

I am reading on Facebook groups of people who went for the first time this year, loved it so much they have booked again this year and already for next year. Such that some folk who want dates in August with specific yards are already finding they have missed the boat ... pun intended!

Possibly. Yards doing late or early season tend to offer a selection of boats rather than the full fleet so presumably can get some out of the water. Yards can only work on so many at a time so may have to tweak the schedule to suit. Bridgecraft have decedied not to extend their season however. 

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I am reading on Facebook groups of people who went for the first time this year, loved it so much they have booked again this year and already for next year. 

I think there's been a fair bit of that. Plenty of people that would normally have gone abroad and not considered the Broads have ended up coming here.

Long term, that's got to be a good thing as in normal times the Broads would just not attract those people as first-timers.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Looks like 2021 is going to be another sell-out for public holidays and peak dates, and a really good year for other dates. Bookings for 2021 are well ahead of this time last year. At this time last year, 63% of boats were still available to book, compared to 39% this year, across the dates I monitor. Spring-Bank in particular, has just 40 (13%) boats remaining. A proportion of the bookings will be down to people transferring from last year. Nevertheless, it shows the Broads will be very busy again in 2021.

Just as an add on, bookings have virtually stopped (apart from Easter and Spring-Bank) since the lock-down started, and are the only unfathomable. I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of March (which is also well booked) was lost. 

• Thanks 4

Hmmm ... we are also booked for March and thinking it less and less likely that it will go ahead. However if it does, given how many people have posted on other social media about March bookings, I don't think it will be as quiet and tranquil as other years at the same time.

• Like 1

And I'm another March hopeful, booked for March 27th and just paid the balance this week. I'm still hopeful but very uncertain. I also have a booking at Ferry Marina for 15 Feb which isn't cancelled yet but I'm resigned to postponing. Nevertheless I'm feeling as positive as I've ever been. Please, please I and my family can stay well because I feel lucky to be so and able to look ahead to plans in the summer.

• Like 2

I agree, I think March is going to be doubtful the way things are looking. I suspect they are going to be more careful about lifting restrictions this time. Having said that I do hope the folks booked for March may have a chance - let's keep fingers crossed. 

I'm booked with Bridgecraft for May and remain hopeful. 

Mind you, just wait until next December...........:default_norty:  :default_beerchug:  :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Considering  the Government  have said lockdown  may well go on to at least March.In my opinion I think it depends  on how the vaccine  program  works out.We are booked to go to Cornwall in June. Maybe we will be lucky.I like many hope this ends soon,but I'm not holding  my breath. 

• Like 1

I'm planning nowt till April but should have a delivery/collection run right past the boat next week so have a new bilge pump coming as I know one is not working, no way I'm driving 100 miles to not do the last 5 mins in to sort it, will be happy to leave it till April then, probably give the stern glands an extra nip too.

I looked briefly at my summer leave period (back end of July and early August) and it's very slim pickings already. The big family "float" that we have is booked for next summer, we decided not to even try this year just in case it gets binned.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I should be on the boat from the 30th March for a week and I usually go down the the boat at the end of February to make sure all the winter servicing and upgrades have been completed. My guess is that I may not get down again until April.# 

Snap I fear for our holiday end of March too.   Even doubtful about May.    Depressing isnt it.

As a pure guess (Boris isn't in touch), I would think late March to beginning of April is when the season will be able to get underway again. Depending on vaccine supplies and delivery to people's arms continuing as planned, we've already been told that the 50 plus age groups should have been offered an inoculation by Easter. At the rate it's currently moving. it could be earlier, especially if more companies have their versions of the vaccine approved for use over the coming weeks. That must represent around half of the population of the UK. The pressure should have lifted somewhat from the hospitals by then as a result. I can't see the government wanting to keep this half of the population from spending money in the economy, while they wait for the under 50s, who are statistically less likely to have serious complications or death, to get their vaccines over the summer. We will see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

What’s depressing is personally knowing 8 people who have died as a result of this awful disease, not wether we will get on holiday or not.

That is so sad, and I agree. We do need to look forward to better times, and naturally our thoughts turn to the things we all want to be able to get back to. But that has to be when it's safe. And we have to hope that, as I saw on tv the other day, this is just a moment in our lives, and there will be time ahead for us to return to everything else if we do our best to keep ourselves safe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

What’s depressing is personally knowing 8 people who have died as a result of this awful disease, not wether we will get on holiday or not.

Exactly, you saved me from a rare (for me) rant!

• Like 1