Have A Date For My Operation.

Chelsea14Ian

As many know for sometime now,I've had problems with my lungs.Last week I had a PET scan.Yesterday I was seen by a Doctor, Surgeon and nurses at Guys Hospital  London.Was given four options. The first,I could  say thankyou very much,but dont want any treatment. In which case may not be around  in two years time.Second a biopsy, due to my lungs not in very good health, was adviced not to go for that.Wait until end of year and have Radiotherapy. After lots of questions  and answers.Marina and I thought  best option was to have keyhole surgery remove whatever it is.They said whilst I'm still under they can check if its cancer or not,they said best to remove it anyway.They said it's small but shouldn't be there just remove it.Had lots of tests yesterday. Of course I'm worried, but very pleased with the care they've shown me.Happy to go ahead.Was told two to three weeks time.Another appointment this afternoon at Woolwich. This morning Guys phoned me ,will have a Covad swab Monday,then go in Thursday  next week and have the operation on the Friday 23.Will be in hospital four or five days.Then recover at home.

Yes nervous  but pleased  to get a date so soon.The whole thing has speeded up in the last ten days.The reason we went up to the boat last week,even though weather was not good.Was simply would ,would  be our last trip this season.With the op and recovering into med November.It was best to be on the boat last week.What we may do,if I'm able have a weekend perhaps  late November staying in a Hotel. 

• Like 2

The earlier the better Ian. Stops you worrying so much, which you are bound to do until the op date. In the interim, do everything you can to build yourself up. Best foods, vitamins, that sort of thing, and of course, keep away from people with infections, be that colds, flu, anything. Best wishes, David

• Thanks 1

Good luck Ian. I went down a similar path a few years ago with a nodule in my lung which the experts though might have been cancerous. A PET scan, respiratory tests and numerous CAT scans later they concluded that it was non-malignant but know something of what you must have been going through.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So pleased that at last you have half an answer and hopefully once removed - the full answer will be known. Take care, keep you head down literally and get the op down without any delay and I assume you now have to self-isolate?  Are Guys doing the Covid swab?  If not make sure its all sorted for the correct day in question.

Getting a Covid swab sorted prior to my daughter going back the last time was an absolute nightmare, not helped by the blood test be messed up so they couldn't admit her on the original day planned and she had to go through all the Covid test again two days later (can't find the angry emoji)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Got back from Hospital at 5 o'clock. We left at 2.30pm.Went by bus which goes all round  the house's. The clinic being a Respiratory clinic was the far end of a large hospital. What they didn't  tell me,because  I'd been referred to Guys,this appointment was cancelled. I told them,I would  have appreciated a call telling me it was cancelled. Still my watch was happy.Its a smart watch that does everything, including telling the time.Now and again it suggests I go for a walk.Did lots of that this afternoon. :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Got back from Hospital at 5 o'clock. We left at 2.30pm.Went by bus which goes all round  the house's. The clinic being a Respiratory clinic was the far end of a large hospital. What they didn't  tell me,because  I'd been referred to Guys,this appointment was cancelled. I told them,I would  have appreciated a call telling me it was cancelled. Still my watch was happy.Its a smart watch that does everything, including telling the time.Now and again it suggests I go for a walk.Did lots of that this afternoon. :default_biggrin:

That won't be the only time this will happen! My daughter's treatment has been A1 but the admin and follow ups by phone or at a local level have not! In London/Home counties. Wishing you well though!

Good luck Ian,

Yes the planers do not seem to think through things.

The respiratory dept. with the longest walk, a bit like when I had leptosporosis, the infectious and tropical disease wards/clinic is on the top floor of the RVI entailing anybody with an nasty condition walk all the way through the hospital.

I did question it and was told it was so the really nasty cases could be brought in from helicopter landing above.

paul

• Thanks 1