Oldest Boat On The Broads

LondonGuy

Herbert Woods made quite a thing of it, spent a lot on restoration and used the boat as a marketing tool. It was even on the front cover if their brochure if I recall correctly. Hire prices were equivalent to a modern luxury boat but it was only available to hirers with experience. I'm guessing it didn't let well though.

33 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The oldest Broads boat being here:

https://watermillsandmarshes.org.uk/chet-boat/

Ah , but the OP stated motorboat for hire as opposed to flappy or oar propelled .

I guess one of Marthams would now be the winner , unless you count one of Hunters offerings with the electric outboard now supplied on some 

My best guess regarding the oldest motor cruiser still in hire would be Martham's Jayne. Their remaining Janet is about 1951 closely followed by Tumblehome a year later but Jayne predates them both.

There are a number of ex hire broads cruisers still around that were built in the 1920's and 1930's of which Spark is obviously one but records are a bit vague to be precise as to which is the oldest survivor.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

My best guess regarding the oldest motor cruiser still in hire would be Martham's Jayne. Their remaining Janet is about 1951 closely followed by Tumblehome a year later but Jayne predates them both.

There are a number of ex hire broads cruisers still around that were built in the 1920's and 1930's of which Spark is obviously one but records are a bit vague to be precise as to which is the oldest survivor.

Jayne is relatively modern dating to the late 1960s early 1970s  I think you are confusing her with the similar but shorter Jane class that were built in 1952 and 1953. 

Fred

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Don't know which hire boat is the oldest but I think I hired it once.

Oh me too, I remember the first boat I holidayed on with my parents was a wreck compared to others in the boat yard but I loved her to bits, she's still going strong now too :default_icon_luvlove: x

• Like 1

The good ship Water Rail which can occasionally be borrowed was built in 1933 by Herbert Woods!  I think the oldest cruisers but not available for hire are the Jack Powles Star/Foams and several of Herbert Woods' - nearly all built in the 1920/1930s.

• Like 1