Boat Firms Selling Out

Poppy

Maybe some enterprise could trial what has been very successful on parts of the South Coast that have become overheated.

Dry-Stacking and high season temporary pontoons (already used succesfully when Horsey Staithe was closed)

drystack-banner-1.thumb.jpg.f7c81a58395c89aabe4848e8259084a6.jpg

Screenshot_20201021-061626_Chrome.thumb.jpg.609e9f9cc4787f6f13f2fb9b87a42789.jpg

Screenshot_20201021-061640_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dfa91625533501de84509f13007a6a45.jpg

20180911_110442.thumb.jpg.71d6ea6b8baa93ae4d4ccdd6696789ab.jpg

dry-stack-storage-for-boats.thumb.jpg.2f607e4a05b8efec678899fcd9a9455c.jpg

11 hours ago, marshman said:

I heard somewhere that the hire boat figure this year were about 30 or perhaps more down - not a lot but perhaps more than you might expect. I apologise for forgetting the figure!!

Not sure why PW expects the price of good Broads boats to fall - there is already a shortage and with very limited new builds, my guess is they will continue to hold up. Its the old story of supply and demand! The 2007 recession had little or no impact - if you are assuming a fall you might be disappointed!!

In the years I have had a plastic tub, they have proved to be a relatively good investment!!!!

The figures are in tomorrows Navigation Ctte papers

We’ve just got back from a week on the Broads and were somewhat surprised by the lack of moorings on the North anywhere near villages or pubs. Thankfully we much prefer mudweighting and wild mooring so it wasn’t an issue for us, but had we needed (or wanted) to eat ashore for the evening it would’ve been a struggle I think! Even both sides of Acle were full at approx 4pm. We even struggled to find water on a few occasions, which was a pain.

The Southern Broads were a different story though, plenty of room everywhere (except Loddon). Even managed to get a takeaway delivered to our boat at Rockland St Mary’s.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

What takeaway was it from?

‘Loddon Pizza and Kebab House - www.loddonkebab.co.uk

Admittedly probably not everybody's cup of tea whilst on a Broads holiday, but for a cheap and cheerful takeaway meal the food was great! We put in the postcode for the Staithe along with a comment explaining we were on a boat and within 30 minutes the delivery man had found our boat and delivered our food. Can’t complain really as we had no working galley at the time, so it was either that or the pub opposite. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 750XL said:

We’ve just got back from a week on the Broads and were somewhat surprised by the lack of moorings on the North anywhere near villages or pubs. Thankfully we much prefer mudweighting and wild mooring so it wasn’t an issue for us, but had we needed (or wanted) to eat ashore for the evening it would’ve been a struggle I think! Even both sides of Acle were full at approx 4pm. We even struggled to find water on a few occasions, which was a pain.

The Southern Broads were a different story though, plenty of room everywhere (except Loddon). Even managed to get a takeaway delivered to our boat at Rockland St Mary’s.

Busier than a "normal" October I suspect. With going abroad so awkward at the moment, August and September were fully booked unusually early so I suspect that influenced October. 

There are often pub spaces for hirers if you know where to look. At Acle there are wild moorings upstream of Pedro's moorings that are easy walking distance from the Bridge, plus as a hirer you can moor at Bridgecraft very often. At Potter and Stalham there are big boatyard basins to moor and sometimes Ferry Marina at Horning can be handy.

13 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Busier than a "normal" October I suspect. With going abroad so awkward at the moment, August and September were fully booked unusually early so I suspect that influenced October. 

There are often pub spaces for hirers if you know where to look. At Acle there are wild moorings upstream of Pedro's moorings that are easy walking distance from the Bridge, plus as a hirer you can moor at Bridgecraft very often. At Potter and Stalham there are big boatyard basins to moor and sometimes Ferry Marina at Horning can be handy.

Did have a nosey at most places and managed to squeeze our 28ft boat into what felt like a 27ft space with all the glaring eyes at Potter (needed a quick emergency maggot stop at Lathams).

Was on a boat from Waveney River Centre so don’t think we were allowed into other yards, though maybe they’d have let us if we asked nicely - who knows :)

Either way, much preferred the peace of mudweighting and wild mooring. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Yes you were. All the hire operators are members of the Broads Hire Boat Federation which has reciprocal arrangements for mooring in place.

Interesting to know, thank you. Didn’t realise they were part of the federation.

Does that mean that HW, Richardson’s etc can moor at WRC for free also?

• Like 1