Two Men And A Dog Rescued

NorfolkNog

In addition to Rockland Wildfowlers, Norwich Wildfowlers shoot part of the Lower Bure, the South Walsham Marshes to the east Of Fleet Dyke are shot, as is  the area around the open water bounded by Ranworth and Waldron Marsh. I believe there is also some shooting still in private hands above Potter Heigham.

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I didnt think shooting was allowed on the Broads??? 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/new-inn-rockland-boat-capsize-rescue-1-6897782

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Rockland Wildfowlers Association shoot from boats, they also have the rights to the marsh. Their aluminium boats are normally a very stable platform if you shoot sitting down.

Having said that, the boats are of limited freeboard! And if two burly guys go to one side to haul a large dog on board????

Thanks for the clarification folks. I did honestly think guns were a no no. 

Mind you Carol, Nigel Royall and others have published some fascinating information about gun punts, fowling and a guy called Scientific Fuller who inhabited Rockland Broad in days of old and shot everything in sight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

A gun punt in action.

Emmerson sixteen.jpg

Do you remember Peter, that there used to be two or three pulled up into the reeds at Southwood Farm opposite Bosham Village in the late 60s early 70s?.

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Do you remember Peter, that there used to be two or three pulled up into the reeds at Southwood Farm opposite Bosham Village in the late 60s early 70s?.

I do indeed, just as there were several down at Manningtree on the saltings there. One of the Bosham punts belonged to a good fellow called 'Tommy'. His punt was flatter bottomed than a Broads punt but otherwise fundamentally the same. I never shot from one but occasionally I borrowed Tommy's and worked it along the fleet, the idea being that the ducks would keep their distance and would be worked towards the guns. Always ended the day in the Bell with Mary putting on a hot buffet and Barry pulling the pints.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I don't think I knew The Bell, except there was one in Chichester. Sounds like I missed a trick!

You didn't, the Anchor Bleu. As a bell-ringer and being Bosham based I had the Bosham Bell on my mind, silly me. Your welcome reminder about the punts triggered good memories of Tommy. I don't remember his surname, half the indigenous villagers were Gilbys but he wasn't one of them. Tommy's knees were shot, he'd had rickets as a kid, despite which he was more than capable of crawling around his punt and also his Bosham Scow, even at seventy. When I left Bosham Tommy presented me with a book about a Norfolk wherry called Gypsey that had toured Holland. We named our house after his. Tommy was a one off. If he hadn't befriended me then I doubt that I would have been accepted by the locals as I was. 

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Nigel Royall used to build replicas, maybe still does. He used to produce a very interesting blog, certainly knows his stuff. 

He maintains that his Broads lineage goes back to 1066 and beyond thus the Royal family are true Broads aristocrats.

Sorry, I've had enough. 

This famous photograph has nothing to do with wildfowling No. it is being misrepresented in the worst possible way.

The photo is, in fact, one of a certain Albert Scroff and his brother Jimmy, possibly the two least effective members of Suffolk's organised crime gang "The hole in the stocking gang." It is quickly noticeable that when sawing the end off the shotgun, they merely reduced the shoulder butt by some 8 inches.

They found themselves stuck outside the Lowestoft branch of Barclays Bank as the gun would not pass through the revolving doors. Although the police arrived to arrest them, they couldn't be taken into custody as the gun wouldn't fit in the horse drawn Panda coach, and the bobbies wouldn't leave the gun unattended on the streets, in case it fell into the wrong hands.

You know, you lot really need to research your information more carefully.

• Haha 10

20201023_192429.thumb.jpg.1a705e3388e953eec3982e49d11e89b4.jpgOnly trying to demonstrate the size of the 4 bore, so sorry to offend.

The 4 bore fowling piece  was really not shouldered, however their butts were short and angular to secure to the boat as can be seen in this photograph. The largest fowling piece used these days is normally the 10 bore. When younger I owned an AYA Matador 10 gauge SxS. Age and arthritis led me to dispose of it to a fowler from Holbeach, actually for quite a lot more money than I paid for it.20201023_192429.thumb.jpg.1a705e3388e953eec3982e49d11e89b4.jpg

These days I use a Winchester semi-automatic 12 bore, chambered to take the 3.5" mammoth super magnum cartridge for fowling.

The 4 bore could not really be used anymore as to fire steel shot would be highly dangerous through one and to fire Bizmuth would probably be about £40 per shot.

• Like 1

My old Group Scout Master had a gun punt at Waldringfield and shooting rights over the marshes, I think from the local vicar. Every autumn the winning patrol got to witness the ceremonial firing of the mammoth piece,from memory it involved a 4 oz sweet bag of black powder and the same of assorted tin tacks! As has been said the recoil was substantial and would push the punt and Skip back a good 12' back into the putty. I don't think it'd be allowed today.

• Like 2

Speaking of Rockland ,    we noticed,  well could help but notice the guy who is moored permanently on the end of the dyke, radio aerials erected beside the boat and looks as if he has moved in.   Wonder what the local Parish Council make of that.?        Good spot to moor on when on holiday that end mooring, good for fishing.

On 23/10/2020 at 12:32, NorfolkNog said:

I didnt think shooting was allowed on the Broads??? 

you can be fairly sure that where there is something small and furry, or even feathered there will be some big brave fellow, or lass, with a twelve bore waiting to blow it's little head off, national park or no national park, or even family member etc, etc.