Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

Three i know of one each at Barnes,ferry and Herbert Woods.there are some pictures of Barnes new Hull being laid up on their FB page and it looks huge. Earlier this year Barnes fitted out one of the new tempo dual steer boats in 8 weeks which was impressive. Clive mentioned a while back he had a Monaco class boat nearly finished sitting in his build shed,not sure if he finished it or it will launch next year. So a few new ones on the horizon 

Although there will always be continuing a dribble of new hire boats being built, it will never replace what is being lost and I was amazed to hear from the Nav Comm meeting that this year saw a reduction in weekly hired boats of 65 - thats slightly less than 10% - I suppose most have gone into private ownership but no doubt some of you who check these sorts of things will be able to confirm that this figure is about right - thats nearly double what I thought it was originally?

Or did I misunderstand that bit? If not it has further implications for funding for next year.

• Like 1

It is all about return on the investment Andrew. Making a quick return on the build spend, no real thought about the future.

Who is going to buy all the 45+ foot boats that will need to retire in 20 / 30 years? It will not be the likes of the current owners, the people that really keep the Broads going.

Sad times ahead I predict.

These boats are no longer on sale with Hoseasons for 2021:
Barnes Brinkcraft
Brinks Aries
Brink of Peace
Benmore
Royall Solitaire

Richardsons 
Crystal Gem
Silver Gem
Opal Gem

Of course, these are class names, so there could be more of each one. Haven't got to the new ones yet

• Thanks 2

Are the boats in the "Departure lounge" or in "Moth balls"? These boats will have been capitalised years ago and depreciated to zero. 

Sold they are 100% profit, keeps the bank happy (short term), however moth balled they could provide a valuable revenue stream when things are recession tight.

Anyone's guess!

3 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

These boats are no longer on sale with Hoseasons for 2021:
Barnes Brinkcraft
Brinks Aries
Brink of Peace
Benmore
Royall Solitaire

Richardsons 
Crystal Gem
Silver Gem
Opal Gem

Of course, these are class names, so there could be more of each one. Haven't got to the new ones yet

Both the Benmores were already in private hands when I visited in late August. I hired Benmore 2 last year and really enjoyed it but Barnes must have something against the design because for some reason they got rid of Royal Oak as well.

44 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Both the Benmores were already in private hands when I visited in late August. I hired Benmore 2 last year and really enjoyed it but Barnes must have something against the design because for some reason they got rid of Royal Oak as well.

Yes Simon, and it appears odd to me when you think they have so many Serenades, which it appears, is a decendant of these boats. And thanks for reminding me that Royall Oak had been sold. I missed that. 

• Like 1

I agree Barnes have sold all their Diamond 35's which is a shame however they have introduced 8 Serenade s  which are effectively larger Diamonds between 2017 and 2019 although they are of course.  more expensive. 

As to New boats they appear to be working on 46 footer presumably Alpha based and Waterways Holiday s lists Tempo 4 and 5 for 2021. Herbert Woods have Gleaming Light 2. Not sure what is happening with the 3 moulds at Richardson s ( 2 Monaco s and the Wayfarer sedan) as they appear to have been mothballed even though 2 must have been close to finishing.

Fair craft usually have a couple of New boats however with the Wrc boats mostly new in 2018 and 2019 moving to Wroxham and covid I suspect they may be nothing new?

Ferry have a mould for a 26 foot aft cockpit similar to Garnet however with a more practical roof arrangement apparently. 

As to 60 odd boats leaving I know Freedom are stopping, Richardsons are selling 15 I believe. With the Wrc fleet moving to Wroxham they may sell a few at Nbd. Silverline have sold 2 inc Serenade and Mystaire I think. So at the moment even if Barnes shrink slightly we are looking at closer to 35 according to my calculations perhaps I am missing something

Neil

"For hire boats, there has been a 154 (10.5%) reduction overall. The loss of 65 weekly hire motor cruisers, which account for most of the hire boat income, is the most significant. We are also aware that there will be further reductions in 2021. In part this is a symptom of the ongoing restructuring of the industry with the sale of older, less attractive boats and the investment of the proceeds in new larger boats by some of the bigger yards, and the exit of smaller non-profitable operators."

That is the actual statement, each individual yard will have made their own decisions as to what boats are required/viable based on bookings upkeep etc. as stated some like Benmore have been replaced with updated new models and some may have been sold to operators on other waterways.

Fred

16 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can they Build a Boat for Two to Three people as they are most Popular? 

Who says they are most popular? Is it not remotely possible that the boat yards know what's popular because they see demand for vessels better than anyone else? Also, the build cost of a two-person boat is still highly significant, but the actual hire revenue that it generates can be less than half that of a 6 person boat which might only cost 30% more to build. The economics often don't stack up. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

"For hire boats, there has been a 154 (10.5%) reduction overall. The loss of 65 weekly hire motor cruisers, which account for most of the hire boat income, is the most significant. We are also aware that there will be further reductions in 2021. In part this is a symptom of the ongoing restructuring of the industry with the sale of older, less attractive boats and the investment of the proceeds in new larger boats by some of the bigger yards, and the exit of smaller non-profitable operators."

That is the actual statement, each individual yard will have made their own decisions as to what boats are required/viable based on bookings upkeep etc. as stated some like Benmore have been replaced with updated new models and some may have been sold to operators on other waterways.

Fred

I don't know about "and the exit of smaller non-profitable operators". 

The reason Freedom is closing is more one of "we've had enough" and, as we're the only yard closing this year, I would class this statement as not being wholly accurate. 

54 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

In part this is a symptom of the ongoing restructuring of the industry with the sale of older, less attractive boats and the investment of the proceeds in new larger boats by some of the bigger yards, and the exit of smaller non-profitable operators."

I think that the clue is in the words 'ongoing restructuring', e.g. closures over a relevant period of time, not just this winter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can they Build a Boat for Two to Three people as they are most Popular? 

All I can add is that it is noticeable that when we go past the quays on the way to the wet shed we very rarely see any of the Richardson r45’s in the basins nor the larger gems but many of the smaller 2 and 4 berth offerings .

I would offer the opinion that Richardson’s larger craft actually rent more than the smaller 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

All I can add is that it is noticeable that when we go past the quays on the way to the wet shed we very rarely see any of the Richardson r45’s in the basins nor the larger gems but many of the smaller 2 and 4 berth offerings .

I would offer the opinion that Richardson’s larger craft actually rent more than the smaller 

Could that be a question of numbers available though? 

What I mean is how many 45`s do they have compared to the smaller crafts.

Actually, I'll add to that.

Who is going to buy a boat they find "unattractive"? so who is going to try to sell a boat thought of as unattractive.

Would it be against the ToS to suggest that the originator of that statement is ... shall we a, a sandwich short of a picnic?

And that wasn't the first description I thought of.