Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

We’re seriously considering whether to book for next March now. This is the first year since 2012 that we won’t have hired but we had no desire to be out on such crowded rivers. Although if we did change our minds about looking at October then my plan would be to moor in the boatyards every night! 😂

12 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Well the Broads won't get any busier than they are now - it's already sold out until late September (apart from the odd cancellation or 3 night weekend break)

Don't forget all of the new private boat owners as well as the hirers!

5 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We’re seriously considering whether to book for next March now. This is the first year since 2012 that we won’t have hired but we had no desire to be out on such crowded rivers. Although if we did change our minds about looking at October then my plan would be to moor in the boatyards every night! 😂

We used to love hiring in October when the rivers were quieter. Never stayed in the hire yards!

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

We used to love hiring in October when the rivers were quieter. Never stayed in the hire yards!

The same here Cal. But I think even October is going to be busier than usual. Just hoping that the colder March weather won’t prove to be attractive to more hirers than other years. 

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

It was on the main tv news last that bookings for staycations are at an all time high, basically saying GB holidays - We are full!

imho this is good news for the home economy getting GB back on its feet

Please give a thought for the hundreds of thousands of people in the travel industry - not just outbound, inbound too. I have no problem with a stated ambition to have most people spend their money in this country, but those affected by this need supporting properly. Yes I know many are still furloughed, but you can't be on furlough if you're forever processing changes and refunds. The below is taken from an agent's Facebook page.

lindsey.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrBlueSky said:

The two Haines boats at Richardsons seem to be no longer available. 

The Haines 32 still has odd dates in July and August, and is wide open for September. The Viking 31 is pretty sold out in July, has one week in August and a few in September. (I've only checked full weeks)

50 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The Haines 32 still has odd dates in July and August, and is wide open for September. The Viking 31 is pretty sold out in July, has one week in August and a few in September. (I've only checked full weeks)

David, are you looking on the hoseasons site or Richardsons? When I look at the Ricos page it says “this unit is no longer available” where the availability calendar would normally be.

very strange!

Just now, Davydine said:

David, are you looking on the hoseasons site or Richardsons? When I look at the Ricos page it says “this unit is no longer available” where the availability calendar would normally be.

Just been having a PM conversation with Mr Blue Sky about it. Yes it still shows on Hoseasons but the availability calendar has disappeared on Richardsons. I can't imagine they have withdrawn it permanently as they will have had lots of bookings now, so perhaps it will come back up tomorrow or Monday. Strange indeed!

• Love 1

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

There's always quiet areas and quiet moorings to be had, Jean, even on the north Broads. I wouldn't swap boating for anything.

• Like 1

I saw a video today of the improvements they have made to the Hemsby holiday park. That's some very serious investment going on there. Maybe a change of direction again and boat building has come to an end for now. Is it cheaper to buy in good nearly new boats built by someone else then go through the whole development build process. It's been said before but how much do yards really make out of these old classes of boats. Maybe a smaller fleet but better quality of boat is the way forward. 

Well we’ve taken the plunge and booked the Viking 31 for a short break in October. Our March trip was cancelled and we hadn’t expected to book anything else this year as the boats we wanted were already taken. But the addition of this one has given us the opportunity to book something that looks right for us and is in our budget. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

Well we’ve taken the plunge and booked the Viking 31 for a short break in October. Our March trip was cancelled and we hadn’t expected to book anything else this year as the boats we wanted were already taken. But the addition of this one has given us the opportunity to book something that looks right for us and is in our budget. 

Looks very nice, Jean and I really like the cabin layout.

• Like 1

I've always fancied trying this style of bat and this looks like a nice example. Some have the steering position a little further back which looks better for seeing out and enjoying the sliding canopy. Will be interested to see how you get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

I've always fancied trying this style of bat and this looks like a nice example. Some have the steering position a little further back which looks better for seeing out and enjoying the sliding canopy. Will be interested to see how you get on.

We have hired an Alpha 31 before albeit an older one from Barnes, Joy when it was in the fleet. Now all sold into private hands.

They were nice easy boats to handle and had a view to the back of the boat from the helm to the back doors if you left the interior door into the bedroom open.

We did look at the Viking 31 when it was for sale at NBS. Lovely boat that appeared to be fitted out really well. I'm sure it will hire out really well given the very reasonable hire price. It will be interesting to see how the fit out stands up to hire use, same with the Haines 32s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Interesting that Richardsons managed to find two used boats of the same design and apparently the same interior from private hands. The claim that they are new for 2021 could be a little misleading too. 

haines.jpg

Not sure which one of the 32s it is but it's got a build date of 2013 on nya website. They probably mean new to the fleet I'm guessing. Three very nice boats though. I'm very tempted to hire one for next year. 

Yeah the Haines aren't new, although in hire terms they have had very little use. The Viking is not very old though and has more of a 'hire' fitout.

I think they have just kept the names which were already on the boats.

But yes, it looks like the model is probably going to shift to buying boats from elsewhere (ie Haines) and perhaps reducing the fleet in size by selling off the older stuff which doesn't earn big money.