Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

This was a bit of a surprise at Richardsons but the Haines 32 is very expensive.  Anybody know what has happened to the sedan they were building?

A bit concerned about Ludham Bridge with the Haines 32 but having found it on NYA (or similar) it says Air Draft 8'3" so not too bad.

Seriously thought about the Haines 31 for next year but my problem is that I sometimes like to stand up at the helm especially when mooring so I would have to take a jigsaw to a section of the roof.

7 minutes ago, BryanW said:

Anybody know what has happened to the sedan they were building?

I think you'll find the two unfinished boats currently in their shed will be completed at some stage.

Richardson's (the Stalham yard) don't have an in-house newbuild team any more as they are now working for Clive Richardson at Horning Pleasurecraft, which is his new(ish) venture and was formerly known as Richardson's Horning.

• 2 weeks later...

Clive I'm curious to know ... why is it that so many boats have the bed with the headboard in the middle of the room like that? It's our biggest issue with hiring and one of the main things we can't compromise on. If it was the other way round it would be perfect. But this one thing takes it off our list of possible hires.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Clive I'm curious to know ... why is it that so many boats have the bed with the headboard in the middle of the room like that? It's our biggest issue with hiring and one of the main things we can't compromise on. If it was the other way round it would be perfect. But this one thing takes it off our list of possible hires.

Jean, I think it's to make full use of the space under the deck by putting your feet underneath it and thereby use up less of the floor space in the cabin. The trouble is I know for tall folk like your husband it isn't comfortable. I'm 6 foot 0 and I guess I'd be OK but even I have avoided Star Gem and Pearl Horizon because I've been led to believe you don't even get 6 foot on those.

• Thanks 1

having experienced pearl horizon, yes, the last foot of the bed was under the deck, unfortunately for me, it was only about 8" high and i could not get my size 14's under there, so a short bed was made even shorter, we ended up moving the mattress into the living area so my feet could overhang the end of the bed

• Thanks 1

The reason I’ve heard before is the space saving. But having hired boats that are the other way, I don’t personally think that it makes the rear cabin too small or takes up too much room. Obviously where the bed has to be between two walls there’s no choice. But otherwise why reduce your market by doing this. 

• Like 3

Having seen Clive's tape measure I think I could sleep in this bed (as long as I can get my feet under the side deck as Grendel says). But without knowing those details I wouldn't consider this otherwise great looking boat. So Clive as well as the photo which shows plenty of room under the side deck, can you also quote the bed length in the online details. I think it will increase your market for this boat (although I don't think that will be necessary this year!)

• Like 1

I've hired a few boats of this design, sadly never any of the ex swancraft boats. But for me the best rear cabin layout by far is broads suncharm. The walk round double set at an angle across the cabin  with the headboard keeping your head away from the rear windows and the annoying dripping condensation,is spot on for us. Lovely boat Clive hope she does well. 

• Like 2

Any bed that runs across the beam of a boat more-or-less has to go under the deck of the boat. The external dimensions are 12ft aprox. Take 16-18 inches either side for decks, hull thickness, cabinsides and such and you're left 9 ft of internal space. You can't run corridors and accesses right up close to windows often (depending on the roof profile), so placing an island bed across the beam pretty much means that the foot end needs to be under the deck. Rotating the bed so that it's at an angle in the cabin is a possible solution, but it takes more space. 

When you only have 9 ft to play with. there have to be some compromises. 

• Like 2

And if you only have 8'6" to play with you could try this

https://beaconparkboats.com/search/91179/boats/grouse#grouse-video

Watch the video and you will see a push button automatically extending bed. I suppose it's a modern take on Wilds drop down doubles in the saloon of a Caribbean.

If you are interested in what you can do with a slightly wider narrowboat it's worth looking at some of the other boats in the fleet, many based on Directors inspection launches rather than working Narrowboats. I know of no other hire fleet anywhere which is so adventurous with its boat designs!

3 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

so placing an island bed across the beam pretty much means that the foot end needs to be under the deck.

I fully respect your knowledge on all things hire boat given the fleet you had, but have to disagree on this. We have hired several boats that had island beds the right way round with no problems of access etc. in the rear cabin. It's perfectly possible but too often not the case. You have to be really careful checking the spec of the boat and interior photos before booking. I know we contacted you at Freedom Boats once and you agreed that there was nothing that was going to suit us. We were grateful for your honesty rather than trying to persuade us into something not suited.

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I fully respect your knowledge on all things hire boat given the fleet you had, but have to disagree on this. We have hired several boats that had island beds the right way round with no problems of access etc. in the rear cabin. It's perfectly possible but too often not the case. You have to be really careful checking the spec of the boat and interior photos before booking. I know we contacted you at Freedom Boats once and you agreed that there was nothing that was going to suit us. We were grateful for your honesty rather than trying to persuade us into something not suited.

This is exactly the point I tried to make about suncharms rear cabin layout. You can actually walk round the bed, access through the rear doors past the bed is not a problem. A very well thought out design in my opinion. That said we are both only 5.10 so not giants. 

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but there are reasons why it is difficult to achieve. The rear companionway door position in the moulding will have a lot to do with it if we're talking about island beds in the rear of a vessel. It's much easier to achieve an island bed in the bow cabin as there's no requirement to walk further forward through the cabin.

If there's a boat with a raised area and thus no decks, it's certainly possible though in older fit-outs quite unlikley still. 

Basically, achieving an island bed in a small space at the rear of a vessel where there is a need to gain access though the cabin is a challenge and it is likely that it will be at the compromise of space elsewhere in the boat's layout. Such designs are going to be much easier with a bare shell than with any retrospective refit unless you're prepared to move bulkheads.

• Like 2

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I've hired boats with a walk round island bed, heads properly against the window and feet in the middle of the room. Access was fine, room in the cabin was fine and it's a basic requirement for boats we hire. Much of the ex-Swancraft fleet was built this way, not all, but some. And the newer Ferry Marina boats, now also appearing at NBD, have the same rear cabin design. 

• Like 1

Based on my experience of Swan Roamer, Jean, I agree Swan Craft achieved a very comfortable bed in the position you wanted it. I think Andy is just saying that it's challenging and there have to be compromises in boat designs somewhere.

On Fair Duke we hired recently, our heads were at the deck end. However to achieve that they'd squeezed a short head board under the deck which served no purpose. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SwanR said:

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I've hired boats with a walk round island bed, heads properly against the window and feet in the middle of the room. Access was fine, room in the cabin was fine and it's a basic requirement for boats we hire. Much of the ex-Swancraft fleet was built this way, not all, but some. And the newer Ferry Marina boats, now also appearing at NBD, have the same rear cabin design. 

I think you just need to re-read what I have said and realise that I am not disagreeing with you. 

Talking of new boats .... When we was in Silverline Marine the week before last, I noticed in the shed as I was walking by a boat being built..

So I asked the big question a new boat being built then.. yes it is Its going to be called Silver Sapphire 35ft  Sister one to Silver Solitare... it might be ready autumn time but definitely for 2022 seasons..

9A9F2CC0-4636-4F4B-A477-D38CAD112D93.jpeg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Talking of new boats .... When we was in Silverline Marine the week before last, I noticed in the shed as I was walking by a boat being built..

So I asked the big question a new boat being built then.. yes it is Its going to be called Silver Sapphire 35ft  Sister one to Silver Solitare... it might be ready autumn time but definitely for 2022 seasons..

9A9F2CC0-4636-4F4B-A477-D38CAD112D93.jpeg

Good to see another new boat, to be fair silverline are always adding new boats. Very smart looking fleet as well. 

2022 should be a good year for new boats, barnes are working on there new boat we also have NBD new floating Palace. I've seen the mould for this one sitting on the yard looks huge to me. Clive has his new boat in progress and I hope richardsons finish off their new sedan. Something to look forward to 👌

• Like 2