Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

38 minutes ago, andyg said:

Doesn't make any sense to me tbh, you spend a fortune on developing a sedan boat, have a mould already sitting on the yard but go and buy one. But hey its a lovely looking boat, don't like the sheerline tbh but hope they do well 👍

Different market, perhaps.  The sedan they were building would have either been on their 38ft or 45ft hull and potentially a 4/6 berth craft.  The Haines is a luxury 2 berth and only 32ft, so cheaper tolls etc. Also, I understood that Richos had closed their build programme, so may not currently have the manpower.  As for the Sheerline, being a centre cockpit with a sliding canopy, it will appeal to those who want to cruise areas that the sedan styles can’t get to.  It’s an old private boat, so will have cost a lot less than a new build, too.

The Covid generated surge in ‘staycations’ may only last for a season or two, so getting them into the fleet with minimal delays, will ensure some return on the investment with (as David H said) the potential for them to be sold off when the situation changes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Different market, perhaps.  The sedan they were building would have either been on their 38ft or 45ft hull and potentially a 4/6 berth craft.  The Haines is a luxury 2 berth and only 32ft, so cheaper tolls etc. Also, I understood that Richos had closed their build programme, so may not currently have the manpower.  As for the Sheerline, being a centre cockpit with a sliding canopy, it will appeal to those who want to cruise areas that the sedan styles can’t get to.  It’s an old private boat, so will have cost a lot less than a new build, too.

The Covid generated surge in ‘staycations’ may only last for a season or two, so getting them into the fleet with minimal delays, will ensure some return on the investment with (as David H said) the potential for them to be sold off when the situation changes.

We had booked Wayfarer , the 38ft Sedan Richardsons were building for last year, we were to be the first hirers on a brand new boat and I was really looking forward to it as never hired a sedan style before and I like to try different layouts.

Obviously covid put a stop to the build and we had to transfer our booking to Monaco which we then ended up rolling over to this year.

I asked a couple of guys in the yard last week about the sedan as I would still be keen to hire her, it seems she is not going to be completed at all now,  mouldings are all complete and sitting in a shed but for a few reasons it won’t be joining the hire fleet , her height is one of the problems, shame as she was going to be a good looking boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KevinB said:

. . . . . .I asked a couple of guys in the yard last week about the sedan as I would still be keen to hire her, it seems she is not going to be completed at all now,  mouldings are all complete and sitting in a shed but for a few reasons it won’t be joining the hire fleet , her height is one of the problems, shame as she was going to be a good looking boat.

Interesting to read that the height was going to become an issue.  Seems odd to think that for a boatyard situated upstream of a sometimes problematic bridge could progress a design to the stage that it apparently did without considering the airdraft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Interesting to read that the height was going to become an issue.  Seems odd to think that for a boatyard situated upstream of a sometimes problematic bridge could progress a design to the stage that it apparently did without considering the airdraft.

Yes I was surprised to hear that too, wonder if she will be completed at some stage and sold privately maybe , guys were pretty sure she wouldn’t be joining their fleet , pity as I was keen to book her for next year 😂

Any ideas what height she was going to be?

There were a lot of boats stuck upstream when we visited last year, with the lads from Richardson’s trying to get some under the bridge ballasted with water - to varying degrees of success!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 750XL said:

There were a lot of boats stuck upstream when we visited last year, with the lads from Richardson’s trying to get some under the bridge ballasted with water - to varying degrees of success!

I can’t remember offhand and just checked pics I saved from time of booking in November 19 but unfortunately don’t have an image with the height saved.

She was going to be a nice layout for 4

6E58396A-E2A2-4318-8719-D31728E31A46.png

64473272-72B6-4E1F-A699-9768849D408C.png

8 hours ago, 750XL said:

Found this thread regarding the design.  It was projected to have an airdraft of around 8ft 4ins.  Perhaps that estimate proved to be incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KevinB said:

Yes I was surprised to hear that too, wonder if she will be completed at some stage and sold privately maybe , guys were pretty sure she wouldn’t be joining their fleet , pity as I was keen to book her for next year 😂

Or maybe a good purchase if you are building up a hire fleet somewhere below Ludham Bridge, say Horning...

• Like 2

I doubt height is an issue. I think it's just easier than explaining the whole situation.

The boatbuilding team were always going to leave to work for Clive, and at the moment the boatbuilder of choice does not have any build slots for quite some while.

On that basis, it's easier to just buy some decent used boats in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I doubt height is an issue. I think it's just easier than explaining the whole situation.

The boatbuilding team were always going to leave to work for Clive, and at the moment the boatbuilder of choice does not have any build slots for quite some while.

On that basis, it's easier to just buy some decent used boats in.

And as a team I personally think they've produced some absolute cracking boats that are incredibly popular. Look forward to seeing Clives new boat. As far as the sedan that is awaiting fit out surely paul must have the skilled staff already employed looking after the fleet to finish it off. But hey that's none of my business..the new haines boats look fantastic and are a great addition to the fleet. 

Maggie Jane is nearly ready for her first hire in August, she has to be booked directly as I need to assess the experience of the hirer, 

modern engine, and no telly! 

4DEA7D6B-F50D-4457-9CDF-96FF09F5579A.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

Maggie Jane is nearly ready for her first hire in August, she has to be booked directly as I need to assess the experience of the hirer, 

Aha!

So that's where she's snuck off to. Excellent to see another woodie back out and about.

She'd look lovely amongst her peers at Beccles in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

What a beautiful boat.

• Like 1

Sneaky preview of the CJR Fleetline 46 

We started this a year ago this week, hull is made and sitting in the mould, we start making the superstructure mould on Monday 🤞

F11DA7EA-A805-4F1E-BA86-38248F05275B.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

We started this a year ago this week, hull is made and sitting in the mould, we start making the superstructure mould on Monday 🤞

Good stuff Clive, are these going to be Purley for HPC use or the wider market. 

4 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Are you still planning the wind boat for hire ?   

22 minutes ago, andyg said:

Good stuff Clive, are these going to be Purley for HPC use or the wider market. 

Just for us, I have agreed a sale on the first one and will possibly sell to other builders.. 

20 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Are you still planning the wind boat for hire ?   

Still working on her but she is almost getting to the stage where I won’t want to send her out. 

5 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Looks lovely Clive. Is she an ex-Martham Juliette?

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Found this thread regarding the design.  It was projected to have an airdraft of around 8ft 4ins.  Perhaps that estimate proved to be incorrect.

Thanks for finding this, I hadn’t seen that before 👍🏻

12 hours ago, RS2021 said:

Or maybe a good purchase if you are building up a hire fleet somewhere below Ludham Bridge, say Horning...

Fingers crossed … I might get it next year after all 🤞🏻😂

12 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Looking good Clive

Liking the front seat setout... a great differentiator from other similar designs and a nice update on the original Aquafibre 42/38 front seat arrangement

Dan

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Looking good Clive

Liking the front seat setout... a great differentiator from other similar designs and a nice update on the original Aquafibre 42/38 front seat arrangement

Dan

and its got a rear seat so all the best features combined in one boat:default_biggrin:

• Like 2