Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

39 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

So it seems you are politely telling me to take a "reality check", in the nicest possible way (and no offence taken if you are) !

I guess I need to reset my expectations, or buy a lottery ticket this weekend ...

Not at all , and there are plenty of the Haines sedans or similar (Broom , Sovereign , etc) in very good condition coming on to the market all the time , a good one ranges from about £60k from what we have looked at the last couple of years .

When we were looking to upgrade from Cerise Lady we spent a good two years looking at 10’s if new and used boats , initially deciding on a budget of up to £80k after many fruitless viewings and one very near miss we decided to wait until what we had decided we really wanted came into the market and to expand our budget if the right one came along , sods law that what we were seeking happened within six weeks of our decision and we moved quickly as they don’t hang about , less than three weeks later she was ours .

Keep seeking and the right one for you will pop up 

Thanks for your comments CC - I do appreciate them !

Starting as an inexperience non-boat owner is part of the learning curve.

I know I want a boat, and I know the style that 'floats my boat' (sorry, couldn't resist that one ...)

So yes, it is a question of working out the models that would suit, understanding what specs are important and how much I can really afford. It is a shame that Covid has got in the way to buoy the market and increase prices, but hopefully they will relax again by the time I am ready to buy.

13 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Also don’t limit your search to just the Broads , many of that type of boat are found on The Caledonian Canal , Thames , Ouse and other waterways 

Yes of course.

An option for me is to find a boat on the Gt Ouse, from Bedford onwards, as that is nearer to me so is more practical at first to use and get accustomed to ownership. I could then either trade up or relocate to the Broads in the future.

12 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Biker what you must realise that boats dont loose there value over time like cars do after initial vat loss they are like houses they go up if cared for. John

Yes, I have certainly seen that values do hold so that the cost/investment is not severely diminished or lost. But I still need to find those initial funds, and am adamant I want full ownership rather than a syndicate or finance loan.

Of course, time will tell if my sights are set too high, but I believe in starting out for what you want, and resetting only if that proves totally unachievable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it’s in build and it’s difficult to tell what the finished boat will be like, but it looks too big and too tall for a broads cruiser.  Not only that but fugly too.  I’m struggling to understand the purpose of those upper forward facing windows.  They look too shallow to be for an indoor helm, but other than purely for styling, what other function could they serve?

Hmmmm.  The jury is definitely out on that one.

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I know it’s in build and it’s difficult to tell what the finished boat will be like, but it looks too big and too tall for a broads cruiser.  Not only that but fugly too.  I’m struggling to understand the purpose of those upper forward facing windows.  They look too shallow to be for an indoor helm, but other than purely for styling, what other function could they serve?

Hmmmm.  The jury is definitely out on that one.

I saw the mould sitting on the yard carpark a couple of months ago, I thought at the time it was to big. 

I've been intrigued with how they are going to fit this out since I too saw the shell in the yard earlier this year. I don't know if its just the perspective, but there doesn't look to be much space behind the upper windows before the outdoor space of the upper deck starts. I'm wondering is this is an evolution of the more recent Funnell designs where there is a saloon and galley at the front, but this time with a raised indoor helm position behind. There does appear to be a hatch from inside the boat to the upper deck, so it doesn't just rely on the rear steps which is good. The rear also looks interesting as there appears to be space for a door on one side of the steps and patio doors on the other - just how wide is this boat? Very interested to see the next instalment of the build.

15 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I've been intrigued with how they are going to fit this out since I too saw the shell in the yard earlier this year. I don't know if its just the perspective, but there doesn't look to be much space behind the upper windows before the outdoor space of the upper deck starts. I'm wondering is this is an evolution of the more recent Funnell designs where there is a saloon and galley at the front, but this time with a raised indoor helm position behind. There does appear to be a hatch from inside the boat to the upper deck, so it doesn't just rely on the rear steps which is good. The rear also looks interesting as there appears to be space for a door on one side of the steps and patio doors on the other - just how wide is this boat? Very interested to see the next instalment of the build.

I think the upper front windows are just cosmetic. It's definitely a re work of the original boat. I don't really like much of what len has had designed, but I've absolutely no doubt it will be fitted out to a very high standard. Which is typically what he does, don't think you could fault him on that. These boats do seem to be very popular both at NBD and ferry..

Personally I think your are seeing the broads transitioning into an elite type of destination. Two maybe three years will see the end of the gem fleet at Stalham. And maybe not all the big boys will survive,Who knows. But 3k a week for a boat will force more and more ppl away. Gun foot shoot comes to mind.

• Like 3

This is basically the Vogue 46. It doesn't look quite like the original drawings but that was pretty much expected.

It clearly uses the hull of the Funnell dual steer boats and a fair amount of the superstructure moulding too but with quite a bit of alteration.

I think the look they were going for was the LeBoat Elegance / Caprice which has a raised internal helm and then an outside helm immediately above and behind it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marshman said:

Beam? up to the maximum which has ,with very few exceptions for the last 20 years, 12'4" or is it 12'6" - the maximum permissible to cruise the whole of the Broads!

I think I am right that 46 ft (15 metres) is a maximum length as well.  It certainly is in France, where anything longer is considered as a hotel barge and has to have a professional skipper.

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

What's a Vogue 46?

I think Vogue was the name of the company that was planned to build new boats for the hire fleet that was based at the old Horizon yard at Acle for a couple of years and were based in the old Alpha yard at Brundall.  There still is a mould sitting on the hard outside the shed, that has apertures cut for windows that hasn’t moved for probably two years.

Vogue we’re also the accredited  builders of Pegasus, the strange looking two berth sedan cruiser that was much discussed here due to the apparent lack of safety at the stern, where the patio doors opened onto a narrow aft deck.  The craft in question has been on the market through NYA for several months and now shows as ‘sale agreed.

I wonder if another yard has taken it on, or whether it’s been sold to a private buyer.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldgregg said:

This is basically the Vogue 46. It doesn't look quite like the original drawings but that was pretty much expected.

It clearly uses the hull of the Funnell dual steer boats and a fair amount of the superstructure moulding too but with quite a bit of alteration.

So was the Vogue developed from the Funnell designs? To me the hull looks quite different from the more recent ones, but I can see how the superstructure has many Funnell features.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I think I am right that 46 ft (15 metres) is a maximum length as well.  It certainly is in France, where anything longer is considered as a hotel barge and has to have a professional skipper.

Just a thought. Was the 15m limit set as part of EU harmonisation rules? Now we have left the EU could the BA increase this?

• Like 1