3 hours ago, Dan said:

As an add on, and for the boat geeks...

The others from Scotland were

Bounty 27 Aft Cockpits "Lomond Crusader" class became Water Gem's

Seamaster 30 "Lomond Panache" became Swiftway 

Ideal 40 "Lomond Fern" became Premier Gem

Ideal 40 "Lomond Heather" became Modern Gem

Aquafibre 42 Centre Cockpit "Lomond Jupiter" became Voyager

There was a lot of fleets closing or swapping boats boats about and it used to be exciting to see the changes for next year

Dan

we currently have the Modern gem (latterly Eastern Gem)  in the horning shed at the moment fitting a bow thruster!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, andyg said:

The original swiftway was a wooden boat at Richardson, if I remember rightly it had a white Hull with a blue stripe. Simular in design to clives bv... 

same frames just spaced out a bit more for Broadsventure, the Swiftways were originally varnished but they later booked better when one in the class was painted white and photographed for the brochure.

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

same frames just spaced out a bit more for Broadsventure, the Swiftways were originally varnished but they later booked better when one in the class was painted white and photographed for the brochure.

Cheers Clive, I only remember them with the white hulls. How many bv did your dad build? Always seemed to be loads out on hire every time we were on the rivers. 

Photo from Terry Baldwin's Boats photo collection of Swiftway 3 which he helped build. Terry's notes say there were two more under build and that number 5 was the last new wooden boat built for Richardson's.

Richardsons 'Swiftway 3 - R111' Potter Heigham 1966

Fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 23/12/2020 at 19:50, Davydine said:

I feel old, when I hired Swiftway, it was a Seamaster 30!

Indeed, so do I having hired Swiftway 2 in 1990, our third time on The Broads (if you exclude going with my parents late 50s early 60s), been going once or twice every year since.

As somebody else said these were on Loch Lomond and then came to The Broads where the fixed roof was cut off and hinged so that it could be lowered for Ludham Bridge.  I remember that roof was an absolute pain to hinge down, far too heavy, and even worse to put back up, I remember having to get assistance, since my wife is only 5'2", to get it back up, I think it was finally removed and replaced with a canvas car type one.

1155612380_FamilyHolidayNorfolkBroadsP1990-17.thumb.jpg.6f1c1109739e0b89396f22f6678b1c65.jpg1370111415_FamilyHolidayNorfolkBroadsP1990-21.thumb.jpg.da46f1127e855f6ed64266c2e968e393.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BryanW said:

Indeed, so do I having hired Swiftway 2 in 1990, our third time on The Broads (if you exclude going with my parents late 50s early 60s), been going once or twice every year since.

As somebody else said these were on Loch Lomond and then came to The Broads where the fixed roof was cut off and hinged so that it could be lowered for Ludham Bridge.  I remember that roof was an absolute pain to hinge down, far too heavy, and even worse to put back up, I remember having to get assistance, since my wife is only 5'2", to get it back up, I think it was finally removed and replaced with a canvas car type one.

I never knew they'd tried a hinged top with them.... I remember them with the red stripe but always had the pram top type hood when I'd seen them in this incarnation

Dan

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I never knew they'd tried a hinged top with them.... I remember them with the red stripe but always had the pram top type hood when I'd seen them in this incarnation

Dan

We hired in 1990 and it had the hinged roof then, I remember it being very heavy and we were 4 young lads, i would imagine the pram hood was much more practical.

45 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I can see why that hinged top didn't last very long. It reminds me of a current hire boat which I think may be just as bad:

https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/holiday-cruisers/sleeps-2-to-4/garnet-emblem/

Hi Simon, there is a promotional sales video on you tube all about this boat, I've no idea what the model is called. To be fair the canopy does seem very easy to use. Some of the old canopies on models like the ocean 30 and alike were akin to trying to erect a tent all in one go, just sheer hard work. I'm sure neither would be allowed nowadays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Looks like a re working of the dual steer moulds already at ferry, gracious emblem etc, 

I think this is the new mould that Vogue marine were building at Brundall

It's hard to imagine that illustration is going to be an exact translation so a bit of a guess whether it will be a monster or half decent!

Dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I think this is the new mould that Vogue marine were building at Brundall

It's hard to imagine that illustration is going to be an exact translation so a bit of a guess whether it will be a monster or half decent!

Dan

Could well be Dan and would make sense, but I still think it's the old mould tool re worked as to a completely new mould. I did ask barnes if it had anything to do with their new boat and they wouldn't say lol. 

33 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Look at all those windows. Sure it's not an artist's impression of a passenger carrying launch? 

I can imagine with the trend for tinted windows that you have what appear to be windows all along the boat, but choose which are actual windows depending on the internal layout.

On 24/01/2021 at 20:11, Broads01 said:

I can see why that hinged top didn't last very long. It reminds me of a current hire boat which I think may be just as bad:

https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/holiday-cruisers/sleeps-2-to-4/garnet-emblem/

The description: "Adaptability to a T!"

Also the description: "Bridge restrictions apply."

Ugly, ugly boat. Every time I see something new from Ferry Marina, or Len Funnel, I become more adamant that I'll never hire from them. What was wrong with the old Aquafibres and Alphas? Or even the old bathtubs?!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, andyg said:

Could well be Dan and would make sense, but I still think it's the old mould tool re worked as to a completely new mould. I did ask barnes if it had anything to do with their new boat and they wouldn't say lol. 

As far as I know, the new Barnes boat is just a rework of the Alpha Highliner 44.

The mould tools for those were knackered anyway so if you're going to create new ones then you may as well update the design a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, oldgregg said:

As far as I know, the new Barnes boat is just a rework of the Alpha Highliner 44.

The mould tools for those were knackered anyway so if you're going to create new ones then you may as well update the design a bit.

I thought it might be, seeing as they have the others, I noticed on the new smaller version they have taken away the steps and hatch leading up to the flybridge from tha saloon. 

Its good job then, that he is not going to have  to rely on you lot hiring it then! 

However like almost all new boats, they will almost always let well which is probably a better indicator than your personal opinion!!! Opinions don't make money but hirings do!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Its good job then, that he is not going to have  to rely on you lot hiring it then! 

However like almost all new boats, they will almost always let well which is probably a better indicator than your personal opinion!!! Opinions don't make money but hirings do!!!

You're absolutely right of course. It's easy to forget that many people like cruising a few hours and spending time off the boat and so aren't so bothered about bridges and the like. I look at boats based on my needs. I cruise minimum 5 hours a day usually, and I like to be able to get most places. I'm not bothered about the height of luxury and loads of room. One of my favourite boats was Brinks Sonata, a Sumatra 755 with the berth under the rear deck. It was a tiny little thing but everything felt like a right adventure on that :8_laughing:

• Like 1