Latest BA Advice On Covid Lockdown

YnysMon

So potentially you could finish your week afloat. 

“Those currently on a domestic holiday, will be allowed to finish their holidays, but are still subject to the requirements in England not to go out without a reasonable excuse. We are seeking clarification from DEFRA if the same applies to people currently staying on private boats.”

Ah but, it’s only people who have already started their holiday who are allowed to continue. Holidays starting tomorrow are a no-no.

Even if we are technically allowed to stay, in the end it depends on whether we can get fuel and a pump-out on Friday. If Brooms close their fuel kiosk on Wednesday that will probably mean we’ll have to go home Wednesday...unless I can find out whether Swancraft or Silverline might do fuel and pump-outs on Friday. I haven’t yet given up hope on Brooms though, as they didn’t seem sure what their plans were when I went into their office this afternoon. 

I'm guessing that actually the stress of making sure that you can leave the boat clean, tidy and ready to go for whoever is next on board might only spoil the extra days anyway. Just concentrate on enjoying the next couple of days.

We are determined to enjoy the cruising time left to us. I’m not getting stressed out about it, bearing in mind that on Saturday we thought we might have to go home the following day. Any additional days are a plus. The wind has dropped, tomorrow we are casting off! Not that we can go very far, as we don’t yet know if we have to go home Wednesday. We are thinking Loddon might be a good plan.

• Like 4

Hi all, reproducing this update from our Facebook page for your information. All of the updates have filtered through to our web page but I have written a summary for social media in the mean time.

We haven't had much clarification yet from central Government on a number of points (the Authority and a number of other waterways organisations are waiting for updates) other than that DEFRA were quite firm to the Authority and other inland navigation authorities that they do not regard winterisation and planned maintenance as essential travel at the moment.

"Further update to 5 November lockdown and the Broads

We and other organisations are still waiting for further details to be issued by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) regarding issues such as paddle sports, angling from vessels and night-fishing. We are expecting an announcement in the near future.

Regarding those who are already on holiday, the Government guidance has been updated to state 'if you were already on holiday, you should return to your home as soon as practical and comply with the stay at home requirements in your holiday accommodation in the meantime.'

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has advised the Broads Authority and other inland navigation authorities that ‘winterising’ boats and other planned maintenance by the general public is not permitted under the restrictions as it is not classed as ‘essential travel’. Under the regulations private boat maintenance businesses may still be operating and are able to provide services for boat owners.

The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) has advised us that it is following current UK Government advice ‘Guidance for people working in, visiting or delivering to other people's homes’. BSS examinations will continue where it is safe to do so. The advice for boat owners is to continue to contact an examiner to arrange their boat’s examination as per usual if one is required. Current BSS Certification expiry dates are not being extended as they were in the previous lockdown.

Where a boat is not available to be examined due to COVID-19 related issues and a BSS certification is needed to support a necessary licence application, a registration or a toll, then the owner needs to liaise with the Broads Authority.

Finally, according to British Marine, marinas can remain open for business services including (but not limited to) boatyard, boat servicing and tenants. Chandleries and other non-essential retail can remain open for delivery to customers, click and collect and to supply the marine trade.

For further information about making BSS examination arrangements visit: https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/arranging-the-examination"

Tom

As regards to the winterisation question considering last week there was not going to be a lockdown and I’ve had zero chance to get to my boat mainly due I’m a key worker and I actually work during the week and those 3 days notice was as good as an underground airport, I thank you

Yep - that will be the answer for you!

How can you possibly say that you on your own cannot do essential maintenance? Or is it that your boat will catch Covid? Crass and stupid!! Perhaps if you have issues as a result you should forward the bill to DEFRA. You can employ a cleaner to keep it tidy, but as an owner, you cannot go and do it yourself!!! 

Don't forget the fishing rod!!!!

There are many things that are 'crass and stupid' .

For example. Our 'local' started take away fish and chips in the last lock down.  It's still doing so, We ring up and order for a particular time, go along and collect them.

If I want a beer too, I may not enter the premises according to the regulations, I can order that by 'phone ,announce my arrival and have it passed to me through the window of my car !   https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2020/11/03/What-are-the-rules-on-takeaway-drinks-from-pubs?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

We are ruled by b***dy idiots !

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, marshman said:

You can employ a cleaner to keep it tidy, but as an owner, you cannot go and do it yourself!!! 

I take your point and agree entirely but the issue, I suspect, is one of unnecessary travel, not whether you can repack your stern-gland or grease your own nipples. In your case the journey itself is surely insignificant. Effectively your call.

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I take your point and agree entirely but the issue, I suspect, is one of unnecessary travel, not whether you can repack your stern-gland or grease your own nipples. In your case the journey itself is surely insignificant. Effectively your call.

Well, in my case, the unnecessary travel would be for me to drive from Norwich to St Olaves to unlock the gates to my private mooring so that a marine engineer can drive the last 200yds to my boat to over winterise while I wait at the gate until he has finished. I will then need to pay him for his time, travelling costs and consumables.
Now, let me think for a moment what’s going to happen. Like a lot of boat owners on the forum we have not been given enough time to put our boats into a suitable state for winter conditions. In the last few days we have had doctors appointments, chiropractor appointments, meds to collect and today the car serviced. All these prebooked. Should this lockdown extend beyond the beginning of December or the weather take a serious downturn in temp then a visit to the boat will be on the cards. Other concerns are flooding at St Olaves over the winter period as I have a quantity of old timber stored there that will float off if I can’t get there to secure it. That is not everything that needs to be done but enough to bore you all with for now.

Who I do feel sorry for are those unable to travel to their boats or holiday homes to prepare for winter. Just how much more can we all afford lose due to ill thought out restrictions. We are both in the at risk category and we will take the necessary steps to keep ourselves ( and our property) safe.

We intend to stay safe and think for ourselves and hope everyone else does too.

Colin :default_beerchug:

off to bed now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It is impractical and probably impossible to write legislation for every individual case. Yes it was short notice but then travel has not been banned completely so I think there is scope for anyone with a boat or holiday home to go and winterise without being seen to deliberately flount the rules. With the notice coming at a weekend it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to be able to prepare fully. It relies on those of who can, to get prepared as soon as possible to clear the way for those can't.

• Like 1

Saw the following on FB - Plenty of food for thought here, oh and btw - Don't shoot the messenger (Me!):-

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just challenging the Broads over their current advice to boat owners -- they are citing DEFRA advice (Now I am not for one minute suggesting that people break the spirit of the 'law') but IF the Authority class the Broads as a National park, then we all have a legal defence and lawful excuse to travel to and from it to carry out unlimited exercise and recreational activities alone, with members of our family or those in our support bubble - here is my challenge to them -  One last conundrum for you - supposing you are a youtube content creator that you monetise - Do you realise that you can carry on with your activities unhindered as this is covered by 6 Regulation (16)1, and lawful? Also as you class the Broads as a 'National Park' then it is covered by the relevant act which means it and its waters fall within the scope of allowing 'unlimited exercise and recreation alone, with members of your own family or with those in your support bubble' and travel to it and from it is a lawful excuse - therefore your statement is severely lacking - for reference here is a statement from the relevant SI Part 3 - General Interpretation - (b) land which is “open country” as defined in section 59(2) of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949(c), as read with section 16 of the Countryside Act 1968(d);

(c) land which is “access land” for the purposes of Part 1 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000(e) (see section 1(1) of that Act)(f); Therefore leaving home under section 6 is entirely lawful under section (c) and (d) and unlimited exercise and recreation within the area, may be undertaken and must be allowed without hinderance. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/.../pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0lt2xylNmdF21sPqGl5RWOoE4Gw3OgNc_AKAXR4Z6-ebNaMhEjdAnTutE 

----------------------------------------------------

Griff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So my understanding is that you can go to work, if you cannot complete that work from home. Clearly winterising a boat can only be done on the boat, not from home. Since I own a limited company, I wonder if I can pay myself to go and winterise my own boat? :default_norty: Or perhaps someone will offer to pay me to winterise my boat and I'll offer to pay them to winterise their boat if they also own their own company. :default_norty:

All of that would possibly work, if it wasn't for the fact the marina has once again removed access to the marina :default_2gunsfiring_v1:Although they will carry out winterising for you during this time and allow their approved contractors on site still to complete work for you. Jobs for the boys :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

As it happens I saw this coming and have done all that needs to be done to my boat in preperation for lockdown. Living 2hrs away I had no intention of visiting during lockdown, but I do feel sorry for those close by, or even within walking distance who cannot go and check on their boats, at the whim of British Marine and the marina owners. 

I have checked and my local allotments are still open. So if I had an allotment I could go and work on it, but cannot go and work on my boat if I was local to it.

Seems a lot of people are issuing guidance based upon, errr guidance, not the law. The BA issued its guidance before the lockdown had even been voted through parliament and made law.

• Like 1

I too saw the same F/B posting as Griff. Another poster there raised another issue, namely as to where is the boundary of the mythical Broads national park? If we take the BNP road signs as an indication then the afore mentioned NP legislation could cover a great deal of land outside the generally accepted Broads area. Will this come back and bite JP on the bum? I doubt it but that's not to say that I wouldn't welcome it!

• Like 1

In a nutshell visitors to the Broads may be coming here and understandably expecting that National Park rules and Covid guidelines will apply. Should the uninformed visitor, unlikely I know, end up in court, then the defence might be that the Broads claims to be what it isn't. Seemingly ridiculous but not an impossible scenario. As has been suggested elsewhere, perhaps now would be a good time for DEFRA to come off the fence, provided that they come down on the 'right' side, my side!

• Like 1