Lockdown 2

CambridgeCabby

One benefit of gloves is you can use alcohol gel as often as like without drying your skin, just sanitize the gloves, when I'm out on delivery/collections in the works van I wear gloves each place I go and squirt down with brake cleaner before taking them off, saves using loads of gloves and filling the landfills with single use plastics.

• Like 1

Dont see why they stopped the boating holidays and the holiday cottages.  We were due to go this Saturday 14th November.   I rang HW and asked when the refund would be forthcoming , they said from the 23rd of November.   Is that to make sure we are not going.    Richardsons refund you straight away.     

31 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Dont see why they stopped the boating holidays and the holiday cottages.

I suspect that if the previous hirers had had Covid then they might leave a residue that could take up to 72hrs to totally dissipate. 

Beyond that it is claimed the virus travels across households that are in close contact with each other, as would be the case within a boat.

Do we need people from a high rate of infection area coming to stay in a low rate area? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Do we need people from a high rate of infection area coming to stay in a low rate area? 

Or vice versa - someone going to a higher rate infection area for a holiday and bringing it back!

Analysis shows different strains across the county so its important to avoid moving them around!

5 minutes ago, LizG said:
28 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Or vice versa - someone going to a higher rate infection area for a holiday and bringing it back!

Analysis shows different strains across the county so its important to avoid moving them around!

Off course it really doesn't matter what the infection rate is like in your area, if you practise the mantra of Space, Face and Hands you are unlikely to catch it. Complacency of people living in low risk areas is ultimately what leads to the eventual spread in those areas as well. Complacency once we come out of this set of National Restrictions is what will lead to another flare up of the virus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

Complacency of people living in low risk areas is ultimately what leads to the eventual spread in those areas as well.

Nevertheless there is a greater risk to those in low risk areas if carriers from high risk areas make a visit.  If the virus is not present then it can not infect people.

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Nevertheless there is a greater risk to those in low risk areas if carriers from high risk areas make a visit.  If the virus is not present then it can not infect people.

The risk is from someone who has the virus, if you don't take sensible precautions. I live in a tier 2 area, but my risk to anybody else is negligible because I take very sensible precautions. First and foremost I don't want the virus and if I don't have the virus, I can't pass it on.

The whole categorising of areas into levels of risk is in my opinion very misleading. A person isn't a medium, high or very high risk to you or the area you live in. The person is either a risk or not a risk, depending on whether they have the virus. You are more likely to find someone with the virus in a high risk area, than a medium risk area, but if you remember Space Space Space Face and Hands at all times then even an infectious person is unlikely to infect you. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LizG said:

this is the very reasoning i use to not go into the office, before lockdown, they were in a tier 2 area and i was in tier 1.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Meantime said:

First and foremost I don't want the virus and if I don't have the virus, I can't pass it on.

How can you know whether someone has the virus or not? How can you be sure that you don't have the virus, at least in its early stages?

My number three daughter is a prescribing/administering consultant pharmacist working on the Covid Ward of a local hospital. My wife is a clinically, extremely vulnerable person. Whilst my daughter is constantly monitored for Covid she is still insistent that our households remain apart. There remains a risk, plain and simple.   

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

How can you know whether someone has the virus or not? How can you be sure that you don't have the virus, at least in its early stages?

My number three daughter is a prescribing/administering consultant pharmacist working on the Covid Ward of a local hospital. My wife is a clinically, extremely vulnerable person. Whilst my daughter is constantly monitored for Covid she is still insistent that our households remain apart. There remains a risk, plain and simple.   

And there you have the crux of the best form of defense. Space Space Space. Your daughter is right in what she is doing. Because I don't know if someone else has the virus I keep my distance from them whether they are in a medium, high or very high risk area. I especially avoid anyone not wearing a mask. 

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Our holiday was cancelled by Darling Boris. 

No, your holiday was cancelled by the virus and people. If two households rented a cottage/boat for a holiday could we rely on them not to mix? Would one party stay at home? Experience has shown that we can't rely on ordinary people to conform to the advice and of course they can't write rules/laws for every individual case, so to be sure they have to cancel everything.

But then it's just so easy to blame Boris; it's almost a fashion statement.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Meantime said:

And there you have the crux of the best form of defense. Space Space Space. Your daughter is right in what she is doing. Because I don't know if someone else has the virus I keep my distance from them whether they are in a medium, high or very high risk area. I especially avoid anyone not wearing a mask. 

So therefore it makes sense to cancel holidays, we have simply gone round in a circle!

• Like 1

The original post by Cambridge Cabby was to cheer us all up whilst we are at home in Lockdown by reminiscing about better times and posting photos. Unfortunately this seems to have been hijacked by Covid 19 information and yet again the National Park issue!

So returning to C.C's original theme and sitting at home looking back at my boating life, I remember starting off on the broads as a child and now after retirement, I've returned there.

I learnt to sail on Barton Broad in a lugsail dinghy that came with a hire craft holiday with parents when I was 8 years old. When we returned home my parents enrolled me in a local sailing club at  Broxbourne Herts where I started dinghy racing and the boating bug was born. Like ChrisB and JennyMorgan, I progressed into Fireballs and the photo shows me racing my new boat in Burnham Week in the early 70's. I spent 10 years racing on the Fireball circuit around the country from 1968 to 78

Progressing into racing yachts in 1979, I carried on racing and cruising until 2007, including a Sigma 33 for 20 years. My final offshore yacht, a Beneteau Oceanis shown in the photo, was enjoyed by my wife and myself for 10 years.

In 2018, we asked ourselves "if we were in the middle of the North Sea and the wind got up, followed by some form of rigging failure, are we still strong enough to sort it out." the answer was no, so having enjoyed a number of Broads hire craft holidays together, we decided to get a Broads motor cruiser instead (3rd photo) and return to my roots. What a great move! In 2019 we spent a total of 14 weeks on her, enjoying both North and South Broads and made many new friends.

We love the Broads and are looking forward to returning, seeing our friends and making new ones, when this horrible pandemic is behind us. So lets remember happier times and those still to come.

Stay safe and see you there:default_beerchug:. Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

IMG_20200522_1655237.thumb.jpg.d9147f6936cfccb592f1f8da298520e4.jpg1458261082_P7040004-Copy.thumb.JPG.4464127da7fbc814aadf98aa3f39a884.JPGIMG_20190703_0925384.thumb.jpg.5225f90e4bcf0746fe8bcb0a979d6cf2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I remember on one of our first holidays to the Broads we had moored at Stokesby Ferry and after dinner took our hired rowing boat out for a quiet evening row towards Acle. In around 15 minutes we had got as far as Acle Dyke. We had been hoping to see where Muck Fleet (which connects the Trinity Broads to the River Bure, emerged. The entrance must have been very overgrown or otherwise effectively concealed. In any event we didn't find it.  It was only when I turned to return to our mooring that I twigged the reason for our rapid progress upriver. Suffice it to say that it took me over an hour of continuous and very energetic rowing to get back to our mooring just before dark. That was my introduction to the tides of the lower Bure and a lesson well-learned. 

No photos I'm afraid. If I had stopped to take one, I would probably have ended up somewhere North of Acle Bridge.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 4