My Life In The Kitchen(s).

Chelsea14Ian

Following  from my earlier post(testing the water).Here is a look at my life in kitchen's. 

I would often help my Mother in the kitchen.In 1969 I starting cooking in school.My school was far from the best but it did however have a professional kitchen.Very unusual thing at that time.After two years I had a CSE in cooking.In 1971 I went to Lewisham college gaining three city and guilds and a few other qualifications. In that time I met Marina.Not bad still  together. Also took a group of us to Paris and tried sking in Austra. Never got the hang of it.We had some very good trainers,and I learnt a lot.Good social life,lots of banter.We would crack jokes.There was one chap he got the joke about five minutes  after the rest of us,then start laughing.Of course that would set the rest of us off.Sadly one of our closest  friends  died of cancer. If I remember he was only seventeen.The first time I lost a friend to Cancer.

Tips : cooking meat or fish.Before you do so.Allow it to get to room temperature. In doing so you will get better results. 

Knives:You dont need many,but worth spending  a few Bob.I would suggest a good chopping knive bread and caving knives. Paring knives,quality really does matter.You will get better results. Get a good diamond steel to keep your knives sharp. 

Thanks due to my Mother in her support of me.It wasn't easy for her,my father died when I was 18 months old.She after worked in two jobs whilst  I was growing  up.

• Like 12

Thanks Ian. Love the cooking tip in the middle. Must remember to get my meat out of the fridge in time in future. 

It's a blessing having a good Mum. My Dad died when I was 8 months old, so I know just what that was like. She (reluctantly) went out to work too. Don't know about you, but most of my school friends mums didn't work, so that made our household a bit different. My grandparents were great and helped out a lot.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The higher the better.

I once placed a chicken to defrost in the freezer compartment at the top of a fridge that had been turned off and wasnt in use, I came home to cook my tea to find nothing left but a couple of drumsticks, as the cats had managed to open the freezer door, drag the chicken out, and then had proceeded to devour all of the best bits, guess who went hungry that night (no not the cats).

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, grendel said:

its finding somewhere for it to warm to room temperature without the cats finding it.

Every Christmas, work give us a turkey.  One of my colleagues lives away and returns every two weeks so I look after his turkey in the freezer.  A few weeks later he said he would take it home and have it the next day.  Aware it wouldn't defrost in time, we left it out overnight.

In the morning, it was wedged up again the cooker hob with a large chunk of its backside, including plastic bag missing..................I rang my colleague and said 'we have a problem' - luckily he saw the funny side, and we sliced off the offending end and he took it home with him later that day.

One of the family commented that they heard the cooker hob error message beeping in the night!

• Haha 1

Just try and keep safe meat or fish  from naughty animals. You dont need food to get to room temperature  for very long.Defrosting any meat takes time.Turkey may take 24 hours plus.

Please dont be tempted to speed up the process by placing in water.

I will give a few tips regarding  Christmas  food later on.

Placement  at Simpsons in the strand.Between my two years at college, I had a placement  at Simsons in the strand.I was there for six or seven weeks.My first time in a professional kitchen.Simpsons was and still is a traditional British restaurant. It was very much like a gentlemans club.Each day there was a roast joint,beef,lamb often saddle.Which was craved in front of the customer. They had a traditional waiters tails,trousers, crisp white shirt and white  apron down to there shoes.These waiters were highly skilled and would provide a excellent service to customers. In the kitchen were very large ovens about six feet high.Which could house whole lambs or baron of beef,which is from the saddle down to the legs.Something that even in all my time I haven't seen.Whole lambs, suckling pig yes.We would turn the oven off about 10.00pm.In the morning the apprentice would clean out the oven only using soap and water,no heavy duty chemicals. And the oven was warm not hot,but it was a walk in oven.This apprentice was lippy also giving older chefs a mouthful. Of course  they would shut him in.Let me out you bleep bleep.I'll get my own back you bleep bleep.He never learnt, gave the chefs lip every day,and always got shut in.For me even though  it was a short time,it was a good insight  into the trade.I also learnt front of house at college, waiting on table and bar,filtering fish or craving at table. I in my time at college worked in a hotel(forgot) which one,doing room service and house keeping.Somethings left behind by guest's are surprising to say the least. Again useful in gaining knowledge into the business. 

Tip.Stocks and sauces.One of my favourite things in the kitchen. If you dont have time there are many good stocks available in shops now days.Moved on from stock cubes.Many of stocks available are excellent. However very worth  while making your own.Basic stocks are easy to make.Chicken stock.I often use the bones once I have striped meat off the bones from a roast. Cover with water.Bring to the boil,remove any scum add medium onion cut into  four large washed carrot,topped and tailed cut into three.Washed stick of celery, cut into 3 or 4.two bay leaf peppercorns sprig of thyme. Bring to the boil,reduce the heat and cook for about two hours. Strain off into a clean pan and reduce volume by about a quarter. For Christmas I you about three stocks which I've frozen.Once defrosted I reduce by about 50%.This makes a great Gravy.By using the same method stocks produce the same result.With fish stock,best to use white fish bones,this will result  in a better flavour ,add veg cuts smaller bring to the boil remove scum back to the boil.Stck is ready after about 30 minutes beef or veal bones roast bones in the oven until nice and golden colour. Also brown veg in the oven.beef/veal stock the longer you cook the better.

Home made pot noodles:packet of noodles.Use the small flavoured packets.I use veg or chicken ones.One red pepper sliced ,bok choy sliced.one inch fresh ginger.Peeled and cut into small match stick sized pieces.Keep the feelings and use with the stock.soya beans.You can add other veg.

Stock for the pot 1lt chicken stock  ginger trimmings  small celery  stick and about same amount  of onion One spoon fish sauce one spoon soy sauce. Stick lemon grass. Bring to boil cook for 30 40 minutes. You want a nice oriental flavour. Stain off and set aside.handfal of prawns and or strips of Cooked chicken. Cook as per instructions the noodles,cook peppers,ginger,bok choy.Set aside.Store in fridge inter ready to serve.Enough for two.in a soup dish or a pot,noodles,veg and prawns/chicken. Reboil stock add to noodles.The prep takes some time,but the results are better and worth while.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Savoy. I left college  armed with my City and Guilds,now I needed to gain skills in the trade.I started work at the Savoy, August 1973.One of the most famous Hotels in the world.I was in the Savoy restaurant,.Also there is the Savoy  grill.I worked mainly in the cold fish section.Preparing wet fish shell fish,including  cold starters.Each day large quantities of both wet and shell fish prepared. I worked there for about six months then six months on the veg section. A large part of the day preparing vegetables and potatoes. I was french trained and very common then  all orders were in french.So I understand very well kitchen french.My hours in the beginning were 12 12 split.Even though there was a large number of Chefs it was very Labour intensive, I then worked from  8 in the morning  to midnight.It was a very large kitchen, mainly gas,apart from the meat and hot fish section which were coal fired. The apprentices would  clean out and fire up early mornings.Very hard work,but I learnt lots.There were also characters.One chef looked after grilled meats and fish.Very strong and imposing chef.Best to stay on the right side of him.The Head chef tall with a very large chefs hat ,crisp white jacket, white apron down to his shoes.If he had a speck of anything  on his jacket or apron,he would replace with a clean one  right away.The chef had two chaps doing admin in the office.We were very naughty. One was I guess in his eighties,the other had a bad lump.They perhaps  once or twice a day walk the length of the kitchen. A very long hot plate. They would  get about half way.We would  call out."what u want" we just wanted  to know how far you got.This was met with lots of swearing of course. In my time most food was prepared in the kitchen. Now lots come in ready prepared. The Savoy  had a butcher, bakery,fish prep.A wonderful dessert  section. The chefs there would make 5 or 6,pulled sugar fruit baskets and blown sugar,and filled also with fresh fruit.These were for VIPs.Even though we worked hard we often called into the coal hole pub close by.I stayed for a year,great experience, but good job I was young very hard and draining work.I lost a lot of weight. 

Tips Spices.They dont like sunlight best to keep away from strong sunlight Best to keep in the cupboard. Try not to have more then you can use.For example spices kept for long periods will lose flavour. Wont harm you but fresh as possible  makes for better flavour. 

One for Gracie and indeed others.

Chocolate  cheesecake.should make about enough  for four. 

About half packet digestive biscuits blend with about 2oz unsalted melted butter.500ml double  cream2 ,oz sugar.Beat together until soft pecks,set aside.500ml cream cheese,blend with the juice and zest of one lemon.One bar of dark chocolate, melt in a dish  on a pan of boiling water. Press the biscuit mix in dishes or glasses. Combine cream, cream ch for sweetness.Looking for slightly shaped but some sweetness. Mix in chocolate. I like a ripple effect. Best results with a piping bag,but can be spooned in.Allow to set.Finish with grated chocolate. Good for any time also for Christmas. Easy to make.Do so the day before use.If you dont have a blender or machine can do by hand,just takes longer.

Tomorrow The Berekley  Hotel.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Dont forget,any questions, advice.I'm happy to help.

Ok, I was wondering so here goes.

Knives: It's a minefield out there! Just looking in Procook there's a vast range of prices and claims. If you needed new knives where would you start looking?

Diamond steel: I found prices from £14.00 to £275.00!

Thank you in anticipation Ian; I'm really enjoying this thread.:default_trophy:

Diamond steel is as I said the best.Go for the best you can afford.However I wouldn't pay £275.Same applies with Knives Good knives .Look for balance ,blade should be heavy otherwise my snap.I have an account with Nisbets. Which is trade catering equipment including knives.They have shops all over the country.Okay with lockdown can only do online. Nisbets are for trade and non trade customers.They sometimes have sales too.

Perhaps ask Father Christmas ,for a few Knives!

Ian 

• Thanks 1