My Life In The Kitchen(s).

Chelsea14Ian

Knives are of course  dangerous  and must take care.Over the years I've have had cuts and burns.Thankfully nothing serious. To insure best results keep your knives as sharp as possible.Be careful of fingers and concentrate. Cooking for all my life,I'm good with knives. One of my party tricks,(and dont do this at home)I can cut a onion behind my back slice cucumber without looking.As I said dont try that at home.

If looking for Sabatier knives be wary of of the differing makes. The original and best are still made in Thiers France. By the original family way back to  1813, these are marketed as K Sabatier

There used to be twenty years ago many in Thiers marketing knives under the Sabatier (SABATIER) brand name the ones I remember were Mason, Deglon, K Sabatier, Leonys, Couzon. There are many more brands.

All have fantastic shops in the town. If you ever get to Mid France, Clermont ferrand towards Lyon is Thiers (the cutlery capital of France).

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Diamond steel is as I said the best.Go for the best you can afford.However I wouldn't pay £275.Same applies with Knives Good knives .Look for balance ,blade should be heavy otherwise my snap.I have an account with Nisbets. Which is trade catering equipment including knives.They have shops all over the country.Okay with lockdown can only do online. Nisbets are for trade and non trade customers.They sometimes have sales too.

Perhaps ask Father Christmas ,for a few Knives!

Ian 

Hello Ian,

When our eldest son was at catering college his set of Global knives (built up from Birthday and Christmas presents) was stolen out of his car on the one occasion that he left them in the car overnight. 

Regards

Alan

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

That's very sad.Very expensive knives.Did he get them replaced  Alan?

A helpful policeman I knew who had visited us because I reported the theft, I was concerned that 10 very sharp knives were out there somewhere. He brought some knives that had not been claimed, a nice gesture but Stuart never used them in the trade they were regarded as spoons (they would not take or keep an edge).

No he never replaced then but managed to get some cheaper knives that did the job. As you know a blunt knife is a dangerous tool, I always keep mine sharp like my chisels.

Regards 

Alan

• Like 1

I moved from the Savoy to The Berkeley Hotel in the summer of 1974.My Mother and I had a holiday on the broads.Marina and I briefly split up.getting back together  just before the holiday. Too late for her to come with us.It was the first trip to the broads for Mother and myself since the sixties. I was nineteen. Working on the hot fish section,one of my favourite area to work in,what was called the potage (soup and hot savory)Sections.plus other parts of the kitchen.Although more relaxed then the Savoy.A very high standard of food.Slightly younger group of chef.Like the Savoy all orders in French.One of the Sous chefs (second chef),I thought was French.I asked another chef "what part of Franch does he come from".Romford he answered.He spoke very good French,guess he thought  it would gain him something by pretending to be French.End of part one.

Tips home made baked beans.First make tomato sauce.One small onion,peeled and cut into small cubes,sweat off in a little  veg or corn oil for about 5,6 minutes without colour.Add one tin of chopped tomatoes and a table spoon tomato puree. Cook slowly for about an hour.Add one table spoon brown sugar.and one tablespoon  malt vinegar. Add salt and ground  black pepper to taste.Allow to cool then blend,set aside.Dried  white beans.Soak about 4oz in cold water for about 24 hours,after which strain and rinse in running water.Boil a pan of unsalted water.once up to boil add beans take of boil and cook until soft.taking care not to under or over cook.Strain off.Re heat tomato sauce.Add beans to sauce.If youwish you can flavour with bbq sauce or curry powder. 

If you want a different starter for Christmas  or for the matter.Deep fried Tiger prawns.Widly available in most supermarkets. Defrost enough  for a starter.I tend to allow  six per person.You can add more or less.Make sure the track is clear or dirt.Rince under tap.Dry off using paper.Batter 3 parts plain flower,2 parts cornflour, 1 part baking powder.Best results use cold sparkling water add slowly until a nice coating consistency allow to rest for about  an hour.Dip prawns in cornflour shake off excess into bater cook in deep fat fryer,taking a few minutes. Check to see if cooked.If you dont have a deep fat fryer use a sauce pan.Make sure oil doesn't  get to hot.Serve with a small mixed leaf salad and light soy sauce and sweet chill sauce. Tomorrow part two and we get   Married.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Berkeley  Hotel  Part two.

At the age of became  A Chef de Party.In charge of a section.I was one of the youngest  CDPs the Savoy group had at that time.I took  over The Veg section with a group of six Chefs under my control..The Head Chef was lovely  man,but he like many was alcoholic .Each service we would do a prep tray.For example Chopped shallots, chives,parsley,sauces lemons etc.And we would have small coke bottles. White wine,Red wine,sherry ,port brandy etc.The trick was, we topped up bottles before 4 o'clock in the afternoon.Otherwise the Chef would  water down the alcohol. It turned out he was a war hero from Belgium. So perhaps understandable.Our Hotel had a very good football team and my last year at the Hotel we won all three cups,The league, and two cup competitions. I was in the reserves. All our games were played in Hyde park. The two cups were played  at Arsenal  and Chelsea.for me great I got to meet many of the Chelsea team.Our time had a few ex pros.One of which played under Tommy Doc at Chelsea.A sign if the time then Chelsea offered  him a role back at the club.He was grateful, but downed it down.He could  earn more money working at the Hotel and as a part time pro.We worked one week late one week early. On lates I would  have  one day off early Two days off.I used to often work late on Saturday, and if Chelsea were at home.go to the Match get back to the Hotel work to 20.00.Then help the night chef chef to midnight.Then often stay at the Hotel ,often in a guest room.Very nice too.Then work early  on Sunday.Then Monday to Friday.Very much enjoyed working at the Hotel.Marina and I got married on 2 July 1977.At Sundridge Kent,in a lovely little church Queen Mary's and the reception at Sundridge community hall.My mates did the cooking,most of the drinks thanks to Mother in law and her boyfriend. They worked often aboard and would  get us duty free.My Auntie did the flowers and a friend of the Family did Marina's wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses.We had a restored classic Bently in racing green.Thanks to brother of mum in laws boyfriend.  That was not only very memorable but a very hot day.

Tips oil and fats.Goose or duck great for roast  potatoes. Pre boil,once they stat to soften. Stain off and shack.Roast with Goose or Duck fat.Roasting use corn or Veg oil,or goose/ duck fat.Shallow frying best results  fats or veg/ corn oil Olive oil,but not extra virgin olive.Far to good for cooking.Save for dressing salads, a little in pasta,risotto. Widely available rape seed oil.Mainy are flavoured. I tend to have a good selection. I include some of my oils and some photos of our wedding. 

20201107_194358.jpg

20201107_194448.jpg

20201107_194530.jpg

20201107_163235.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Thanks  Gracie. Suppose I will get set backs have taken pain killers. As I said I have a phone appointment with the hospital  Tuesday.If pain continues I will phone threats.Worried in case it's a chest infection. That's the last thing I need.

When I can I will carry on with my post.

Ian

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Thanks  Gracie. Suppose I will get set backs have taken pain killers. As I said I have a phone appointment with the hospital  Tuesday.If pain continues I will phone threats.Worried in case it's a chest infection. That's the last thing I need.

When I can I will carry on with my post.

Ian

Are you taking your temperature regularly? An infection will probably show a temperature spike?

• Like 1

my dad was in hospital having had a section of bowel removed, he was due to come home, but not allowed until he had been seen by the consultant, the consultant was running late or my dad would have been at home when sepsis cut in, within 10 minutes he was back in the operating theatre having the wound opened up and flushed out, the drs said if he had been at home they wouldnt have been able to treat him in time. take care, do it now not later.

17 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yes that's okay,theres a rattle  in my chest.Which is new and a pain in my back.My voice  has changed.In hospital  my voice  was poor,due mainly  to the meds I was on.If I'm in pain this afternoon  I will phone  the ward.

My daughter's temperature spiked last night so she was taken back into the actual hospital (rather than the 'Cotton Rooms' which is a sort of B&B connected to UCH.  The discomfort connected to an infection had already started but they won't put her on anti-biotics until the temperature rises as it did.  Unfortunately the haematology ward was full so she got taken back down to A & E and then onto another ward - not satisfactory but she is now connected to antibiotics so don't take any chances - the hospitals are busy so you need to be one step ahead!