First Broads Holiday In Over A Decade!!

TerryG

HI,

Its a long time since I last hired a boat on the Broads, can I just ask is it still primarily Hoseasons that you go through, or is there independent boat hire companies to choose from?

Apart from this question, if anyone has any recommendations for hire companies any info is greatly accepted, would you advise starting from the south or the north?

cheers.

Use the Internet to search for the boat that fits your budget and needs , remember it’s always best to consider a boat with two more berths than you need to avoid having to make a berth up from the saloon seating daily ( not applicable to all boats).

when you’ve found what you feel is best suited to you give the yard a ring direct , if they’re affiliated to Hoseasons then it will go through them anyways .

Largest choice is with Richardson’s , also NBD, Herbertwoods or Barnes on the North as well as Marthams , if your seeking a sail boat then Eastwood or Hunters 

less choice on the South , Brooms,Silverline, Pacific , Freedom , by all reports Waveney River Centre are moving their fleet to NBC Wroxham 

We like going to Ferry Marina and hire from Richardson’s as well.

You will get recommendations for all yards depending who you talk to. I always advise people to have a good look at Richardson’s - all styles of boat to suit all budgets. Decide what you want and then look for similar on other websites for comparison. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

You will get recommendations for all yards depending who you talk to

Exactly. Ask a dozen people and you will get a dozen different opinions. 

I'd go for Bridgecraft - superb service from this family run yard. 

Your budget is the driver. To a point you get what you pay for. Cheaper boat - older, less facilities. Expensive boat - more modern, more facilities. 

Your choice! :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

Consider beforehand what’s important to you and then do a comparison of boats that fit with that. For instance, for most of our hires we were looking for a boat for two that would fit under all bridges (apart from Potter Heigham) and had an island bed. Just those two things narrowed down our choice considerably.

Also, take into consideration the ‘full price’. Ferry Marina prices are inclusive of the dual and damage waiver fees, whereas for lots of other yards these are add ons. 

We have always booked direct with yards and not gone through Hoseasons.

• Like 2

I too would recommend booking direct with the boatyard, for many reasons, including that personal service. I haven't hired for many years but I'd personally go with the likes of Marthams or hunters fleet or similar smaller yards just again for that personal service to help support them through what must be a very tough few months.   I believe that yards who are associated with Hoseasons you will still end up paying the book price as (or they used to) still have to pay commission back to hoseasons if booked direct but still I'd book direct.

Don't forget too that your booking is accomodation only and as such you will not receive any financial protection therefore at least book with a credit card.

• Like 1