Mooring for sale

Brian J.

If any marinas are a member of TYHA, then they should abide by the C of P they signed up to, clause 10.1 being the case in question.

I wonder how many bertholders ever read the T&C's and then when something occurs, eg. selling your boat on marina premises (another % and more £'s to the marina for doing nothing), do they think "oh dear" or something along those lines ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

As somebody said in a post above, Eddie the fish has kept very quiet on the subject of this thread, could it be that he suddenly realises he`s been caught?. By refusing to give a refund as required by the YHA`s t&c`s, they are in fact in breach of contract, and that puts them in very deep water (if you excuse the punns).

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
As to preferring somewhere nice and peaceful what is wrong with the other 120 miles? IMHO WRC is a great facility for family's as a stop to give the little ones a change and a very convenient place to pick up supply's, enjoy a swim, a meal and drink in a very nice family friendly pub.

Whatever may be thought the very fact that there are vacant berths available at this time of year shows that it IS a competitive market place and it is up to individual businesses to decide how they offer their moorings, if they choose to offer terms that are different and worse than others they will soon find an empty marina.

For the 1st part Ian, that`s exactly what you had BEFORE it was overdeveloped, and for the 2nd part, the reason why they have so many berths available is because there has been a drmatic increase in the number of boats on the Broads that are on brokerage sites. Yes, i know some people will be selling to trade up, but the number of boats for sale is significantly higher than usual in previous years, and when asked the reasons for selling, most people simply just can`t afford to pay ever increasing annual costs for moorings etc. Also if you need to have maintainance work done, a lot of marinas won`t allow 3rd party marine engineers to work on your boat on their property, or charge a fee to allow it. Add it all up, and these marinas have you by the balls, and maybe this is one reason why the likes of WRC don`t want to give a refund, and that`s because they want the berth holder to lose money, and not themselves.

As somebody said in a post above, Eddie the fish has kept very quiet on the subject of this thread, could it be that he suddenly realises he`s been caught?. By refusing to give a refund as required by the YHA`s t&c`s, they are in fact in breach of contract, and that puts them in very deep water (if you excuse the punns).

Possibly Bill but like anything that's not "compulsory", THYA Cof P is exactly that, a code of practice. No one polices the scheme/C of P, apart from the initial visit and maybe the occasional check to see if you still have the facilities you claim you had on the first visit. Have been there and seen the THYA scheme work (or not work) in practice. If many marinas were re-visited, they'd probably not get 4 or 5 anchors but does the average punter really care? :yawn: .

Not having a "four gold anchor" award from the TYHA ain't exactly gonna stop people using or berthing at WRC or elsewhere. They're not going to be penalised financially but maybe they should. I guess it's a bit like Investor in People scheme - ain't worth the paper it's written on.

My gripe is that if a company signs up to offer a service to an industry standard, then that's what they should offer the customer - a good standard across the board :wave

Or maybe he does not want to comment publically about HIS dealings with one of HIS customers..... Just a thought.

If you dont like it dont go there-SIMPLES.

There is no need to go on bad mouthing the place again and again and again. :roll:

Indeed there isn't Matt, a business is a business, it's there primarily to give a return on investement, that can only be done if you provide the service level and value that enough people find at least acceptable. That is clearly the case at WRC so something is right there for enough people to provide the return on investement. We should be glad that people are prepared to invest otherwise the broads would end up looking like that hiddeous mess downstream of St. Olaves bridge and some of the derelict yards on the north rivers.

I'm not near the Broads so don''t know the marinas inside out like you guys, but what percentage occupancy are all the marinas running at?

If ABC or XYZ marina was the absolute dog's doodahs, then they would be full with a waiting list, as is the case of the good marinas on the Thames, South coast and East coast. I can see that a marina's location might have a big part to play on the Broads but if you had the Ritz of all marinas, be it north or south, you'd have the punters queueing at your doorstep. Yes, it does mean big investment in these current hard times, but companies like Funnell and Tingdene can well afford it as a group.

Speculate to accumulate? :wave

I'm not near the Broads so don''t know the marinas inside out like you guys, but what percentage occupancy are all the marinas running at?

I'm lucky enough to live here ( :) ), and all of the Marinas here that I see on a regular basis are showing no signs of dropping customer numbers.

Likewise, I see no rise in brokerage sales, other than the normal increase at this time of year when more owners put their craft on the market because of the logical increase in interest from buyers in the Spring.

For every "disgruntled" owner who gives up because of rising costs there's at least one new punter ready to be a first time owner.

I also agree completely with Matt, where he said:

Or maybe he does not want to comment publically about HIS dealings with one of HIS customers..... Just a thought.

There is no need to go on bad mouthing the place again and again and again. :roll:

There seem to be plenty of James's customers on this thread who are quite satisfied with the level of service they get, compared with the "bad mouthing" from people that have not actually experienced boat ownership first hand at his Marina.

I'm lucky enough to live here ( :) ), and all of the Marinas here that I see on a regular basis are showing no signs of dropping customer numbers.

Likewise, I see no rise in brokerage sales, other than the normal increase at this time of year when more owners put their craft on the market because of the logical increase in interest from buyers in the Spring.

quote]

Thats interesting. At the old Moores yard where ES is moored at first glance the marina looks full but once you start paying attention some of the boats are Barnes hirecraft and a number are actually on the Norfolk Boat Sales website brokerage.

i have no problems with my current yard or visiting the WRC i have nothing bad to say about either....

but the question that always haunts me is how much is to much...

Jonny

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Wrong, Neil. :norty::norty::norty:

WRC allowed my own engineers in recently, on two occasions, without even a whisper of complaint. :clap:clap:clap

Hi John, if you read my post again, you`ll notice i did`nt actually name any particular yard, but was generalising about several that i`ve either read or been told of, but that also included marinas not nessecarily on the broads, which i should have mentioned :oops:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Why not?. Look at the number of people who have been greatly inconveinienced over the breakdowns of Somerleyton bridge?, they have every rite to bad mouth it, just as i have every right to continually show my disapproval of WRC. Freedom of speech and all that, or is freedom of speech only limited to big buisnesses. Let`s not forget that if public opinion can sway Governements, then enough bad press might just make the buisness men understand that they are NOT the be all and end all, and consider making their facilities a bit more attractive and affordable to people such as myself. One thing i WILL say, and that is i could go out and pay cash for several boats on various broads brokerages tomorrow. But then i could never earn enough SPARE cash to pay for the annual moorings etc, because of the prices charged. Their was a post somewhere recently about somebody who owned a boat in a marina somewhere in France. It was a very luxurious marina,, with all the facilities you would expect as in several Broads marinas. The only difference was the annual mooring fee, which was just over £300. The poster said the cost to moor ot on the Broads would be around 7 times for the same boat. Oh, and i forgot to say, if they did`nt use it for the full year, they gotr a refund of every unused month.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Matt, that`s very interresting, Boatshed have lots more pages of boats for sale these days, averaging in the mid 20s when 2 years ago, they would average in the high teens. NYA`s used list is almost twice the size it was 18 months ago, as is Norfolk boatsales.

Their was a post somewhere recently about somebody who owned a boat in a marina somewhere in France. It was a very luxurious marina,, with all the facilities you would expect as in several Broads marinas. The only difference was the annual mooring fee, which was just over £300. The poster said the cost to moor ot on the Broads would be around 7 times for the same boat. Oh, and i forgot to say, if they did`nt use it for the full year, they gotr a refund of every unused month.

Broads Moorings are some of the cheapest in the UK, Mine is £1600 for a 34' boat, if I take it to the South Coast I would be looking at 3 times that.

Finding the expertise to look after certain types of boats can be difficult on the Broads and the BA I hold in contempt but as far as different moorings on the broads the choice is very wide with something to suit everyone from a couple of hundred pounds in a cut somewhere to fully serviced floating pontoon marinas but even the most expensive offers great value compared to elsewhere.

In France you can also buy a 6 bedroom farm house with 20 acres for £20'000, you won't get it in Paris though.

Exactly right Senator.

Prices in a free market are set by supply and demand, nothing to do with greed, and comparing the costs with other countries is quite irrelevant.

Running a boat on the Broads is still much cheaper than elsewhere in the UK as you say, tolls (where they apply) and mooring fees.

Hi John, if you read my post again, you`ll notice i did`nt actually name any particular yard, but was generalising about several that i`ve either read or been told of, but that also included marinas not necessarily on the broads, which i should have mentioned :oops:

Quite correct, Neil. :bow:bow:bow

Mary-Jane has slapped my wrist on your behalf..... :cry:cry:cry

As you said, prices on the Broads are very competetive with other parts of the country. The reason I was moving to Norfolk from the Thames was that a pontoon mooring with power and water on the Thames was going to be £ 2,500.00 for a 23ft boat compared to £1295.00 for the same facilities on the Broads - it was a no brainer!! Unfortunately I no longer have a boat.

Brian J. :cry::cry:

Thats interesting. At the old Moores yard where ES is moored at first glance the marina looks full but

once you start paying attention some of the boats are Barnes hirecraft and a number are actually on

the Norfolk Boat Sales website brokerage.

May I just make a correction here? There are No Barnes hirecraft in that marina at all. It was a condition

of the licence and planning that NO hirecraft are to use it whatsoever! Matthew Thwaites is well aware of that

fact as we continue to tell hire boats to read the notice at the entrance!! There are at present only 2 boats

in the marina that are awaiting final sales negotiations and they are the narrow boat "Glaive 2" and the

orange caribbian (forgot the name!) from Norfolkboatsales.

Bill,

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I have never seen hireboats in the basin where we moor but I havecertainly seen some moored behind -But they might have been ex hire up for sale. Infact I think you can some on the webcam? I have also seen men in the Norfolk Boat sales fleeces move boats from there over to the other side of the river.

But i appreciate you spend far more time than me there so I will bow to your greater knowledge cheersbar

Hi Matt. Yes I do spend more time there now......Iv'e retired cheers

We must be on about the other Moores basin then? Barnes still cannot

run the hire boats from there either for the same reasons. But, they

can take them over there themselves for storage and I believe

there are 3 there at the moment but will be moved soon. It helps them

move their boats about easier in their yard.

PS. Bridge gauge showing 7' 7" on Friday night! NO... still had to do the

final fixing of the additional heating matrix so missed it again :cry But,

got it finished and now only minor jobs left to do! :grin:

• 1 year later...