Petty thieving scum!!

DaveS

Last sunday I put the mooring warps back on the boat, ready for the guys at the WRC to secure the boat alongside it's berth, once they had lifted it back in, which they did yesterday.

Today I discovered that sometime between Sunday and Thursday, while the boat was on 'blocks' in the car park at the WRC (the winter storage area), one of the warps was stolen. The WRC have loaned me one, while I sort out a replacement.

How petty can you get, to nick a length of rope :evil:

Also during this same period, one of the yachts, that was also out for the winter, had its 'main sheet' cut off.

My guess is that it was someone using the camping site at the WRC, as they have free access to wander around the boats that are out for the winter. A major downside to having a Marina that is shared with a camping site. :(

A bit more secure on the berth, as this is accessed via a locked gate, albeit its not unknown for kids from the camping field to climb over the 4' wire fence.

Dave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

This sort of thing really p....s me off two gunstwo guns . There`s nothing i like more than to just stroll around boatyards and look at everything there, but when thieving of ANY kind goes on, then it makes people suspicious of people like me, who are innocently lettin their minds loose :naughty::naughty: . It`s no surprise that "locked gates" are becoming the norm. It`s just a sad indictment of "modern Britain". Just give me back good "old" Britain where people used to respect other peoples property, and those that did`nt got exactly what they deserved. Right, i`ve steped down from my soap box. Regards to all, ......... Neil.

Just give me back good "old" Britain where people used to respect other peoples property, and those that did`nt got exactly what they deserved. Right, i`ve steped down from my soap box. Regards to all, ......... Neil.

Not sure those days ever existed! Victorian ruffiens pick-pocketing .... highway men etc etc. Just a case of rose coloured spectacles.

Still very annoying to loose your warps. Being a rather strange person I used to get a quiver of excitement everytime I opened my warp locker, the soft caress of skin against rope as I recoiled them was a treat which sadly I now miss.

A length of rope and a main sheet, perhaps a bit harsh to say its campers but if it is should we be looking for one in a home made tent.

Seriously though thieving seems to increase with a recession a sad fact of life.

Jonathan :Stinky

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
How about this then.

Last season, I had an old deck mop stolen from off the boat. I know it was my fault for leaving it there in the first place, but an old mop, I ask you.

Baz

Why should it be "your fault" Baz, it was`nt that long ago you could leave your possetions lying around and go back the next day and they`d still be there. There is a crime called "theft by finding", where if you find something and keep it, you`ve commited a crime. If something has a way of identifying who it belongs to, or where it is, and somebody just keeps it, it`s a crime. You seem to forget YOU are not the criminal for simply leaving something lying on top of the cabin. If it WAS the other way around, everybody on a hire boat, plus the operators would be criminals :roll::roll::roll: .

How about this then.

Last season, I had an old deck mop stolen from off the boat. I know it was my fault for leaving it there in the first place, but an old mop, I ask you.

Baz

Thats quite common Baz. All hire boats are despatched with one. If one gets lost, the hirer could be liable for it's cost I guessm so easier to nick an old one of another boat. They're normally nicked from other hire craft though ....

People may wonder why ropes and fenders etc. get nicked, but the answer's quite simple really.

We wouldn't dream of leaving the VHF or GPS in the cockpit whilst we're away from the boat, and yet when you add up the value of things that we have to leave on the outside unprotected, they're usually worth a lot more and are usually untraceable (no serial numbers etc).

A set of fenders, mooring warps, mudweight, chain, anchor cost hundreds to replace.

Unfortunately, there's always going to be some people that would rather steal than buy, and new ways of fencing like boat jumbles and Ebay must have increased the trade dramatically. I expect some UK wide "traders" could even make a living from it. Nicking the stuff on the Broads, then selling it on a few hundred miles away.... :(

Thats quite common Baz. All hire boats are despatched with one. If one gets lost, the hirer could be liable for it's cost I guessm so easier to nick an old one of another boat. They're normally nicked from other hire craft though ....

Bit of an assumption there Mark, we painted our mop and boathook handles orange and branded them 'RR' it is suprising how many can be found on Private boats, I am quite happy to take them back without asking as there is no reasonable answer they can give apart from that they found it and are in the process of returning it, I am just saving them the hassle.

we now paint them yellow but I still see orange ones on the roofs of boats, I very much doubt any individual would consider painting their own either yellow or orange.

Last year I took two boathooks and a mop off a boat moored at Ludham, The people looking after this boat should have known better :norty:

If someone returns one of our boats with a vileda supermop from a private boat it sticks out but there is no point as they are covered by the damage waiver. If they have a damage deposit they will get charged for it.

Would it not be more likely that they have been fished out of the broads than taken from one of your boats by a private owner Clive? even on the Southern's a run up the Chet with overhanging branches will usually show at least one hire boat losing a mop or boat hook. You would hope that owners would learn that lesson very quickly.

Agree that they should be returned, especially if they have property of Richardsons written on them.

Fair enough perhaps i should half fill my glass but when you see the amount of fenders and rhond anchors we put on the boats this time of year it makes you think that perhaps someone has been and borrowed some bits for their own boat, especially as they would all have been there on the return of the last hire.. :roll:

Just to add, I have obviously replaced the mop with a new one, But this one is now well marked with the boats name and reg number in permanent marker, and not left on the roof either. Once bitten, twice shy eh.

Regards

Baz :Stinky

Just to add, I have obviously replaced the mop with a new one, But this one is now well marked with the boats name and reg number in permanent marker, and not left on the roof either. Once bitten, twice shy eh.

Regards

Baz :Stinky

It's well worth marking your Boat Reg on your fenders as well with the permanent marker. Surprisingly, it's then impossible to remove, with any solvent (turps, petrol, acetone, cellulose etc.)

It can be done quite neatly very easily, and it will deter most thieves, (and fenders are much more expensive than Mops :) )

Simple deterrents:

Warps. Ensure they are coated with smelly slime. Makes them slippery and easier to make slip knots.

Fenders. Fill your socks with stones so that the fenders are completely submerged out of site. Also stops them getting dusty.

Mops. Nail to the cabin roof. No point in using them as the boat will be just as dirty on the next visit.

Children. Only leave topside when they've been naughty .... which will be most of the time so below decks will be a calm and tranquille zone .... an ideal place to sort and organise the days stolen booty and photograph for an early ebay campaign.

Charlie our King Charles spanial has just had his nuts chopped off and it got me to thinking that maybe this is the way to go for petty criminals. If we can take their genes out of the pool then maybe things will get better, not sure it would work once they got to 16 though as most of them already have 3 kids by then.

3 years ago we had Melody for a week with friends from Luton,on our way from Wroxham towards the Ant we lost a fishing rod and reel which was on the roof,this happen because we went a bit too close to the trees,seeing what had happened we turned around to retrieve the rod from the overhanging branches,as we were approaching the trees another boat who had obviously been watching had retrieved our rod and reel,what a nice gesture ,we thought,but no, the boat sped off down the bure with our prized rod and reel.

We gave chase on melody,lots of shouting to the other boat,but they were not stopping,melody eventually caught up with them at the Ant turning and we cornered the Rod thieves,when I asked for my rod back,they denied they had took it after a heated debate they still denied they had taken it.

Now it was time for some action,I called my mate Martin who was inside the cabin to assist in retrieving the Rod,he is built like a brick outhouse,one glance at him their memory came back quick as a flash,and the rod appeared from the cabin and was duly handed over.

Whenever I meet up with my mate Martin we always talk about the adventures on Melody.