The Unknown Warrior

ExSurveyor

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Vaughan but I can't say how strongly I disagree with what I think you are saying here, but just to be sure, What exactly are you trying to say?

It's all right John - from the views I have seen expressed elsewhere on the forum today, I think I am perceptive enough to know when I am just trying to kick a rice pudding up a hill!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

It's all right John - from the views I have seen expressed elsewhere on the forum today, I think I am perceptive enough to know when I am just trying to kick a rice pudding up a hill!

Vaughan this is probably the wrong thread for this but I think all of us will have to accept that there are two polarised views on the topic as a whole, there are those who are prepared to accept the broad concept for the good of all and then those that want every bit of wriggle room they can find in laws written on a constantly moving target.

Fred

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The death rate for over 75 males is 11% to 13% according to a number of sources.

I'd like to know what those sources are.   This paper claims veryc onsiderably less rates than that.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/discover/2020/06/coronavirus-risk-for-older-people-updated/

"Age 90 and over, it’s 18 people in every 1,000 people."   That's 1.8% .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Maybe thats because there are far more males over 75 than 90 year olds.

Fred

????

I have a strong background in science and statistics.  I need facts,and preferably sources for claims on medical matters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I'd like to know what those sources are.   This paper claims veryc onsiderably less rates than that.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/discover/2020/06/coronavirus-risk-for-older-people-updated/

"Age 90 and over, it’s 18 people in every 1,000 people."   That's 1.8% .

I found the numbers I quoted from a number of very recent publications, your is from a report published early June, based on figures compiled during May,

If you doubt my figures feel free to research a wider number of sources supplying up to date figures.

4 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I found the numbers I quoted from a number of very recent publications, your is from a report published early June, based on figures compiled during May,

If you doubt my figures feel free to research a wider number of sources supplying up to date figures.

You sir made the claim,  therefore you must have the references. My (reliable) sources do not.

12 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I have a strong background in science and statistics.  I need facts,and preferably sources for claims on medical matters.

Other souces apart from Age Uk, dated early June, are available as I am sure you are aware.

77% of Covid deaths are in the over 75 age range, BBC 6th November.

As you will know, given your background, statistics can and are regularly manipulated for many reasons.

As the OP, I  find it disappointing this particular thread has been dragged away from its  very specific intention.

I will leave it there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Poppy said:

????

No disrespect but good for you I have a strong background in the University of life and as part of the generation and my parents generation who rebuilt this country for the benefit of the younger generations behaving as they see fit now I dont think its asking to much to ask for some consideration now.

Fred

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Other souces apart from Age Uk, dated early June, are available as I am sure you are aware.

77% of Covid deaths are in the over 75 age range, BBC 6th November.

As you will know, given your background, statistics can and are regularly manipulated for many reasons.

As the OP, I  find it disappointing this particular thread has been dragged away from its  very specific intention.

I will leave it there.

My apologise it wasnt my intention.

Fredj

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

No disrespect but good for you I have a strong background in the University of life and as part of the generation and my parents generation who rebuilt this country for the benefit of the younger generations behaving as they see fit now I dont think its asking to much to ask for some consideration now.

Fred

I'm 74.   How about you ?

On 09/11/2020 at 10:16, JennyMorgan said:

I grew up during the austerity period following the war, sweets were still rationed, my first two bikes were secondhand simply because new ones were virtually unobtainable. 

I didn’t know you were over 100 years old Peter. You wear it very well.

• Haha 1