Opinions Please. Wifi Gadget.

It's what they call fair usage.. They know if you've hotspotting to a laptop you're going to be using a lot more data than if you've just got the phone on its own.

This ties into the whole 'unlimited data' or '96gb data' etc etc. They know what the average user actually consumes and don't want to make it easy for you to actually use such a large allowance.

3 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's what they call fair usage.. They know if you've hotspotting to a laptop you're going to be using a lot more data than if you've just got the phone on its own.

This ties into the whole 'unlimited data' or '96gb data' etc etc. They know what the average user actually consumes and don't want to make it easy for you to actually use such a large allowance.

Some contracts actually forbid it.

Just signed my wife up to a Smarty unlimited data SIM only for £18 per month, the idea being we can hotspot off it while on holiday and elsewhere, we used to use a MiFi but the prepaid data sims are a little expensive when you have 3 kids!  It's owned by and uses the Three network and the fair usage policy is 1000GB per month !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Just signed my wife up to a Smarty unlimited data SIM only for £18 per month, the idea being we can hotspot off it while on holiday and elsewhere, we used to use a MiFi but the prepaid data sims are a little expensive when you have 3 kids!  It's owned by and uses the Three network and the fair usage policy is 1000GB per month !

Ah, but can it be used for calls as well?

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

For lower data users lebara do a deal through moneysavingexpert website of unlimited calls and texts, 100 international minutes, and 2gb data for a fiver a month rolling contract.

It's the vodafone network.

Wouldn`t touch them with a boathook, why, because a guy in Kettering with no email address walked into a store in Kettering and walked out with the same email address as mine which I`ve had for +15yrs hence I get emails meant for him despite me telling them of the error. Emails tell me the number and the plan he signed up for. Muppets!

I have one of the huwawei mifi units, on a payg basis, as I only use it when away from home I but a 12Gb data sim, with a usage cap of 12 months, via O2, generally this lasts me at least 10 months, but when its time to renew, i have found its cheaper to call into one of their stores and purchase a new sim, than it is to top up the existing data card, a new card in store is £40, while the same as an online topup is £60.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I have one of the huwawei mifi units, on a payg basis, as I only use it when away from home I but a 12Gb data sim, with a usage cap of 12 months, via O2, generally this lasts me at least 10 months, but when its time to renew, i have found its cheaper to call into one of their stores and purchase a new sim, than it is to top up the existing data card, a new card in store is £40, while the same as an online topup is £60.

Thanks, is there a model number as all the ones I have looked at dont seem to have the external aerial. Did you get it through o2 or on its own and then add a data sim? 

i went in the o2 shop and bought it, it doesnt have an external aerial per se, but i think uses the usb cable for that purpose, if i am in a laptop i plug in via usb as that keeps it charged and automatically connects via the usb

this is the one i have

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/huawei/4g-pocket-hotspot-2020#contractType=paymonthly only on payg

• Thanks 1

HUAWEI E5577C has external antenna ports IIRC, and costs about £100. As far as I'm aware Huawei are about the only portable machines still to offer them. I prefer TP link but I am 90% sure they no longer suit external antennae. Teltonika are more serious options, not considered truly portable as I believe they need a power supply. 

Once you have chosen a machine you then have the issue of which antennae, there are lots of different options!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fishfoxey said:

Hi can I ask what make and model it is as I am looking for one thx

I brought mine as a package from this seller who is in Norwich after a few email were exchanged back and forth and he said that i could return the anntena if I wasn`t happy with it, after more than a year I am still very happy with both. I buy my pre loaded 3 sim from Argos and just slip it in. It is fine for watching youtube videos without any buffering but I haven`t streamed any movies with it.

My router was a B311 something or other and we swapped the 240v power unit for a 12v one. Yes I could of brought cheaper but would I be as happy? 

PS I didn`t pay this sort of money, think it was around £85 for everything.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorhome-Caravan-mobile-Wi-Fi-kit-v4-Huawei-B525-CPE-Panorama-MIMO-antenna/293330777075?hash=item444be073f3:g:WTQAAOSw6ZFfEXLa