I Think I Want A Bigger One.

MauriceMynah

I have been surprised to find out that the fuel tank on new Nyx only holds 25 gallons (about 112 litres). This seems rather small to my mind.

The engine is a nanni 4.43 (4 cylinder 43hp).

I don't know the economy of that engine yet but old Nyx's fuel tank was nearer 40 gallons for a smaller engine. I'm wondering about getting a bigger tank, or getting a second tank. Opinions please.

40 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Are you sure you haven't got a fuel tank on either side, under the deck, and haven't found the other one yet?

If there is a second tank, the surveyer didn't notice it. I am going by his report.

41 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Consumption on the 40hp Nanni is given as 9lt/hour which means you should achieve approx 12 hours I should think on a full tank, depending on heating use .

That seems a bit high. are you sure?

43 minutes ago, chameleon said:

size does matter then?

Always Mike, always.

40 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Consumption on the 40hp Nanni is given as 9lt/hour which means you should achieve approx 12 hours I should think on a full tank, depending on heating use .

9 litre is approx 2 gallons, do they quote revs? It sounds a high consumption.

Surely they would not fit a 12 hour tank to a hire boat?

13 minutes ago, StillCruising said:

9lts an hour, is that really true ? My old 1800cc BMC only used 2lrs an hour or maybe slightly more if punching the tide through Yarmouth. 

A Nanni 4220 will use between 2 and 2.5 litres per hour at 6MPH on a boat the size of NYX mk.11.

Believe me, I have researched it, on a lot of boats with hour meters fitted.

The most economical is still the Perkins 4108.  Around 1.6 its per hour at 5 MPH.

• Like 2

Nah I wouldn't bother ...well unless you are planning to sail over and visit Vaughan. You can get from top to the bottom of the broads on a tank .fuel availability isn't a issue and less capacity more turn over will ensure a cleaner fuel system 

Finny

• Like 2

Thank you Finny, good points. My main concern is if I have to become a "continuous cruiser" over a winter. fewer outlets available, but greater usage.

Using Vaughan's stats ( I know when to argue with Vaughan and when not to )  and rounding them to 2hrs per gallon that's 50 hrs engine running, less heating used.

In spite of your finest efforts CC I am unable to convert that into hours per gallon/litre, the same, I'm afraid, goes for NNs post.

I held the theory that boat owners - myself at the time became paranoid about how much fuel we have in the tank through a lack of fuel guage to the tune that we would be prepared to stick twigs down the neck filler to make sure it was wet at the other end - personally I think your fuel economy on your type of boat would be fugal and even if you go the great expensive in changing your tank and lines then even with a bigger tank you will always be concerned at how fill your Big is :default_biggrin:

There is a lot to be said in having a skinny  dipstick handy :default_eusa_dance:

finny

• Like 1

When we had Zimbi, I was told it held 70 litres!

When I did a full tank fill, after the tank was removed for steam cleaning (a long story) It had 10 litres put in.

We went round to Brooms to fill up.

160 litres later, a groaning credit card was put back in my pocket.

I did check halfway that the bilges were not filling instead of the tank.

The moral, MM, is try filling it first before you change the tank.

paul

• Like 3

The 5 cyl Nanni will easily use 7 litres per hour if you don't govern the speed.  Diesel consumption goes up enormously as soon as you want to go fast.

By the way, a Webasto heating system will use 2.5 litres per hour on its own!  I have researched that as well, on winter delivery jobs.  Use of a Webasto on cold winter days can easily double your normal fuel consumption.

The average Broads hire boat "in my day" was built with a 70 gallon tank, as this was about the same capacity as a truck, and would allow the boat to do 2 weeks on hire without filling up.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Using Vaughan's stats ( I know when to argue with Vaughan and when not to )  and rounding them to 2hrs per gallon that's 50 hrs engine running, less heating used.

That sounds about right. We used to tell hirers that they would do about one and a half hours to the gallon.

On the contrary, one of my father's MTBs, with 4 Packard Merlins, would use just over a gallon of 101 octane petrol a minute at full speed.

On each engine!

Hi Maurice my beta 60 will only use 9 lt ph if flat out normally 2 1/2 to 3lt per hour cruising the beta 43 uses 2 1/2 lt per hour as per doc's 120 lt 40 hours plus heating fuel use. can you not measure tank size it may hold more than you were told. John

• Like 1