I Think I Want A Bigger One.

MauriceMynah

Hi MM, who told you it was 112 litres? If it was the surveyor I would ask Richardsons as well just to be sure.

As an aside, after my folks purchased their new boat earlier this year we were looking over her, checking things out, getting to know whats what like you do, when we noticed that the fuel tank seemed rather small.(I'm a mechanic and Dad is a retired heating engineer so we have a pretty good idea of what we are doing).

We measured it up, calculated the capacity then, puzzled, we looked at the spec sheet supplied by Brooms(to the people who bought her out of hire in 2000). Our measured capacity was considerably lower than stated. Scratching our heads we looked again, noting that the tank was stainless and quite new looking. Surely they didn't spec a new tank that small did they?? 

No they didn't, we eventually realised that the tank we were looking at was another water tank and the flipping fuel tank was sitting behind it in all of it's vast hire boat spec capacity, invisible until from the engine bay until we looked through a hatch next to the helm.......:facepalm:

Edited by WherryNice
removed a naughty-ish word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would want a larger capacity In your situation personally, constantly faffing about filling up with fuel would become a pain I think. Not such an issue if you are a weekend only boater but for constant use.....

Now whether to go for one larger tank or an additional one would largely be down to available space, how readily the old tank could be removed and perhaps ballasting issues I would say.

• Like 1

To start with I would stick rather than twist; if it doesn’t turn out to be practical then add another tank. Based on Vaughan’s comment I would equally be surprised if there isn’t another tank or if indeed the tank is bigger than you initially think. Most broads hire boats pooltled along for a week without needing refuelling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fuel tank on 'B.A' is 35 gallons or 157 x Ltrs - It does us.  Got us from Lowestoft to South dock marina by Tower bridge in one go, however we were close to running out (But did have plenty of beer onboard)

Our recent Lads week, we had the heating on most of the time, including on low setting overnight too. Not so much to keep us warm but to try and keep the inside dried out and us too as it flippin rained what seemed like constantly.  This put the fuel consumption up considerably

MM - If you are considering fitting a larger diesel tank or a secondary one, you should take into account the trim of your boat, a permanent list is the last thing you need to add into the equation and ballast may have to be considered.  

Being at the end of the week, 'B.A' ended up with a list to port, caused by the black holding tank being well used on the port side and the nearly empty diesel tank on the stbd side. (Plus I'm convinced with had all the the 'Larger' crew member on the Port side too) A pump out and a splash n dash for diesel cured this one

Griff

• Like 1

Thanks Griff, another thing I shall hold in mind. I'm not worried about the black tank as I shall be storing the food & booze on the same side. As one empties, the other fills and vice versa.

If, as seems likely I shall be living on the boat for a while, I shall be doing so as a continuous cruiser. In the winter when days are short and nights are long, Possibly I shall try to find a friendly boatyard with a temporary space with leccy perhaps.

I have only few fixed rules for me. 

Nobody seeing the boat will have any reason to think it's a liveaboard. Nothing on the bank, nothing on the roof, and it will be cleaner than old Nyx (I'll have more time to keep on top of that). I want people to look at new Nyx and mutter "Lucky ******"

In the main season I shall not just use two or three BA 24hr moorings, I shall cruise! I hope that when the rivers are quieter, the BA might be a little more relaxed about 24hrs, but still no **** taking.

Generally I shall be doing this on the Northern waters and I'm going to need a postal address. I'm not sure how I go about this.

as I say, this way of life is likely, but not a given, and I'm treating things on the basis that I do have a home address.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thanks Griff, another thing I shall hold in mind. I'm not worried about the black tank as I shall be storing the food & booze on the same side. As one empties, the other fills and vice versa.

If, as seems likely I shall be living on the boat for a while, I shall be doing so as a continuous cruiser. In the winter when days are short and nights are long, Possibly I shall try to find a friendly boatyard with a temporary space with leccy perhaps.

I have only few fixed rules for me. 

Nobody seeing the boat will have any reason to think it's a liveaboard. Nothing on the bank, nothing on the roof, and it will be cleaner than old Nyx (I'll have more time to keep on top of that). I want people to look at new Nyx and mutter "Lucky ******"

In the main season I shall not just use two or three BA 24hr moorings, I shall cruise! I hope that when the rivers are quieter, the BA might be a little more relaxed about 24hrs, but still no **** taking.

Generally I shall be doing this on the Northern waters and I'm going to need a postal address. I'm not sure how I go about this.

as I say, this way of life is likely, but not a given, and I'm treating things on the basis that I do have a home address.

Hello John, 

Have you thought of a P.O.Box Number?

https://www.ukpostbox.com/blog/po-box-addresses-in-the-uk

Regards

Alan

4 hours ago, annv said:

If you did fit another tank you could then fill it with duty free red diesel just!! for heating. John

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Heating is not duty free Annv, it is reduced to 5% I think.

The duty on fuel used for heating is 10.70 pence per litre. The VAT is 5%.

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

If, as seems likely I shall be living on the boat for a while, I shall be doing so as a continuous cruiser.

Then you need to think seriously about solar panels.  Also make sure the calorifier tank is well insulated, so that you have hot water for longer periods.  You would be better to be on propane gas, as it still operates down to about minus 11 degrees (from memory) but butane gas will not work if it gets below freezing point. Changing a gas regulator and the cooker jets, is not a big job, but must be done by a Gas Safe fitter.

Geoffrey and Steve have an excellent solid fuel stove fitted in the saloon on The Corsican, which is a boat of the same type as yours.  They had to do a serious installation, so Geoffery told me, but it passes the BSS.  Maybe worth asking him.

• Like 1

If not solar panels then definitly some sort of advanced charging solution for the domestic batteries I would say, so that they will charge quickly, keeping the needed engine running time to a minimum.

I am quite interested in the Sterling alternator to battery chargers for this but have no direct experience of them as yet.

I can vouch for solar panels.  We are now on our third generation of panels for 'B.A' - They certainly help with the domestic batteries - Talk with Robin, he's the guru on this subject for us

Strongly seconded for the calorifier being well insulated.  We still have enough hot water the morning after the day before cruise for showers etc

Griff

• Like 3