Ruby Light

andyg

Been looking at Ruby light from herbert woods. I didn't realise they had two classes of this type, do herbert woods mould these boats on site as they seem to have quite a number of this mould in their dayboat/ picnic boat fleet as well. Very smart looking two berth boat, looks nice and cosy. 

I think the Ruby Light is pretty much the same as the Adventuring Light class. I've been aboard one of those. They are cosy and would be good for winter I would imagine. They are quite compact though and the reduced beam from the usual 12 feet is quite noticeable. The side decks are narrow too. They certainly seem to be popular and HW are making the most of the moulding. 

A lot has been said about new hire boats always being bigger. This looks like a great example of a new compact design. One you can see being attractive to private buyers in the second hand market in decades to come. Silverline/Barnes also have something similar as a compact 2/4 berth. A future Hampton Safari? That said upwards of 200 of those were built to populate a healthy second hand following. Will this class of boat prove anything like as popular?

• Like 1

Herbert Woods had this one on display in their car park a few years back. The notice at the back advertised it for sale at 77k - I'm guessing this was the dayboat variant. I think they are certainly trying to make the most out of the one hull. 

I wouldn't rule out trying one at some point in the future although Mrs Nog as chief mooring officer was not keen on the narrow decks. 

But as has been mentioned given the air draught and beam it would have the best chance under the bridges although Woods do say it will only pass under Potter at extremely low tide. 

HW1.jpg

HW2.JPG

HW3.JPG

• Like 1

Very reminiscent of a Hampton in my view and that's no bad thing. It's good to have compact boats being built to contrast with the majority of larger ones. This made me chuckle on the Herbert Woods description: "Will pass under Ludham, Wayford and Wroxham bridges subject to weather and tide conditions with the canopy lowered". Mmm, so where exactly is the canopy? 😊

• Like 3

Always been tempted by this design. It's good to see a small relatively affordable boat being built in times when virtually all other new craft are flybridge, 45 ft or fitted out like an apartment and priced accordingly. One day I may hire one as it has one of the lowest air drafts of any recent hire boat and the ability to go under Wroxham and possibly Potter is a rare opportunity these days. So far I have never quite got to booking it as it is slightly compromised when it comes to space and comfort, so far I have stuck with the Opal 28 and Heritage 286 craft which are just that bit wider and longer whilst being only an inch taller when it comes to getting through Potter although these days that could be vital. 

Woods have 5 of these so far 2 Adventuring 2017, 2 Princes 2019/20 and 1 Ruby 2020 although I suspect atleast 1 more Ruby is in the pipeline at some point. Plus they have 9 Starlight day cruisers and a number of private builds including 1 based on the Fens whose owner was very happy with it.

Neil

• Like 3

Unfortunately I am pretty sure they don't allow single helms which is a shame. I imagine it's fairly easy to handle and 3 of the 5 built come with bow thrusters which would make life easier for single helms if they were allowed. Still an elderly couple or first timers shouldn't have any troubles with them particularly with the low aft step and sheerline/freeboard. My only concern is with the slightly narrow decks and being narrow beam they are a little cosy inside, still as has been mentioned they are a very comfortable modern alternative to the Hampton 25. A classic Mini of a boat which personally only the Sheerline 740 has got close in terms of space and practicality for its size so far.

Neil

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Herbert Woods had this one on display in their car park a few years back. The notice at the back advertised it for sale at 77k - I'm guessing this was the dayboat variant. I think they are certainly trying to make the most out of the one hull. 

I wouldn't rule out trying one at some point in the future although Mrs Nog as chief mooring officer was not keen on the narrow decks. 

But as has been mentioned given the air draught and beam it would have the best chance under the bridges although Woods do say it will only pass under Potter at extremely low tide. 

HW1.jpg

HW2.JPG

HW3.JPG

Is that 77k for the finished boat .? The asking prices of the new small heritage branded re works of old design are eye watering. Just can't see how they justify or command such high prices. I very much doubt they sell too many 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Is that 77k for the finished boat .? The asking prices of the new small heritage branded re works of old design are eye watering. Just can't see how they justify or command such high prices. I very much doubt they sell too many 

I didnt look too closely, sorry but I suspect that was for a day boat variant. I'm guessing a full fit out would set you back well over 100k and probably then some. 

I may be wrong (and happy to be proven so) I have a feeling some of those Heritage ones are based on the old Alphacraft moulds. These were bought by the Barnes Brinkcraft brothers. The build appears to be done by Viking (not sure if they are connected to BB). If you want to buy a mould from them I gather the price is eye watering as is the finished product. My perfect boat (apart from Swan Royale) would be Swan Reflection and it would be great to get a new build when the lottery comes up but not at those prices! 

14 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Kris Cruisers on the Thames had a new 2 berth this year built by Haines in Norfolk. Looks like the old Alpha mould (but I'm not an expert). Looks like a very nice single level 2 berth, not as compact as the HW boats.

Just had a look at the Kris one, nice boat, yes I would say that's an Alpha mould. Looks like the 35 foot version a la Swan Radiance. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Just had a look at the Kris one, nice boat, yes I would say that's an Alpha mould. Looks like the 35 foot version a la Swan Radiance. 

It is indeed, their older version has been sold and is back on the broads in private hands. Paul has high hopes the new boat will let well, I don't think he will have any problems there. Still an expensive way to build a hire boat I would assume,that said it looks a cracking boat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyg said:

£77k, I think that may have been for Go West, which was a used boat. The first new one I saw had a navy blue hull and was priced at £98k, the next one was £120k. They were day boats with overnight capability i.e. heads with shower, galley with hob, oven? and fridge. The settee converted like a sofa bed into a large double. Finish was good, nice soft furnishings and plenty of nice little touches. Could be a modern version of the Hampton Safari if they can sell enough.

You can just make out the 77k sticker on the rear door of one of my photos. That was taken in February 2016. 

I wish I'd investigated a bit further as I've no idea what the fit out (or lack of) was. Trouble is I'm a seasoned fender kicker, I couldn't afford the mudweight! :default_biggrin: