Lewis Hamilton 7 Times World Champion

Chelsea14Ian

21 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I think its difficult to compare sports men and women from one age to another. For me theres no doubt  Lewis is the best for this age.To win seven world championships, from 2008 to 2020 is incredible. 

Agreed but I think we should also tip our hats in the direction of the excellent engineering which provides the design and reliability of modern cars. Lewis himself is always first to acknowledge the team behind him.

I often wonder how many more races would have been won by Nigel Mansell had his Ferraris been more reliable during the turbo years. Same goes for other drivers too I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Agreed but I think we should also tip our hats in the direction of the excellent engineering which provides the design and reliability of modern cars. 

This is what F1 excells at and so many ideas trickle down to the cars we drive today. Thankfully the Brabham Fan car as it was known nor the Tyrrell 6 wheeler were allowed to race.

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

often wonder how many more races would have been won by Nigel Mansell had his Ferraris been more reliable during the turbo years. Same goes for other drivers too I guess.

I know what you mean but Mansell drove for Ferrari at the start of the 3500cc normally aspirated era, I have a feeling it was the then pioneering semi-auto gearbox that let him down in '89 follwed by Prosts arrival in '90 which left Nige firmly in the number 2 slot for that season.

I know loads of useless triva about F1 up untill about 2000ish but don't ask me anything current cos I wouldnt have a clue!

8 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

This is what F1 excells at and so many ideas trickle down to the cars we drive today. Thankfully the Brabham Fan car as it was known nor the Tyrrell 6 wheeler were allowed to race.

I thought the 6 wheel Tyrrell did a couple of seasons and even had a win?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I thought the 6 wheel Tyrrell did a couple of seasons and even had a win?

2 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I thought it was banned after three races but I should of fact checked.

I thought it did race so I checked, JA has it, two seasons and one win for Scheckter Sweden '76.

• Like 1

I am no great fan of Hamilton the man but in watching F1 for many, many years I do think he is the best so far.

He plays fair like an English man is supposed to, saying that he is 1 point away from a ban! 

The claim he has the fastest car is just like saying the best footballers play for the best teams.

Hamilton's advantage is he races himself no one else, he wins through skill in not giving up unlike his team mate.

The only one I can think that was like that was Prost.

They never crashed into someone to stop them winning. they never had a team mate crash into someone to let them win.

F1 is the ultimate team game, would you drive for 2 hours on a motorway hoping somebody had tightened the wheel nuts properly?

The ones to watch, in my mind are Russell and Le Clere, Max needs another 10 years to mature.

Max has the second fastest car and the best handling but only wins when his pit crew calls the best tactics.

paul 

• Like 3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8966063/Lewis-Hamilton-loses-three-year-legal-battle-ban-luxury-watchmakers-Hamilton-brand.html

Hamilton International, part of the Swatch Group, provided evidence that they have been selling watches bearing the name since 1892.

Sums up his personality for me . Clearly suffering from a severe dose of helioproctosis !

Why didn't they countersue and insist Hamilton changed his racing name!!

9 hours ago, Poppy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8966063/Lewis-Hamilton-loses-three-year-legal-battle-ban-luxury-watchmakers-Hamilton-brand.html

Hamilton International, part of the Swatch Group, provided evidence that they have been selling watches bearing the name since 1892.

Sums up his personality for me . Clearly suffering from a severe dose of helioproctosis !

Why didn't they countersue and insist Hamilton changed his racing name!!

I remember Posh Spice trying to stop Peterborough FC from calling themselves the Posh!

Over inflated egos comes to mind!

• Like 3

F1 is the ultimate team game, would you drive for 2 hours on a motorway hoping somebody had tightened the wheel nuts properly?

Of course, all of us do this daily unless you have replaced yours tyres yourself.  The difference is we are all cruising at 70mph max (Allegedly) not 200mph+ with gentle curves not cornering around tight bends at eye watering speeds pulling 4G.

The closest (And it's a mile off) any of us will ever get to experiencing this is if you have a proper big road bike akin to my mighty Tiger

Griff 

Typical Daily Fail artical from a month ago in a week where there is talk of him receiving a gong.

Whilst his lawyers should of not started the court action I believe it was started when the watchmaker started using the chequered flag in advertising, however this is something that they are entitled to do as the offical timer for the F1 Red Bull racing team but haven`t done before.

Bad advice given by the lawyers who get paid whatever the result.

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Typical Daily Fail artical from a month ago in a week where there is talk of him receiving a gong.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/20/court-rejects-hamiltons-bid-to-stop-watch-maker-using-his-surname/  

20th November.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-lewis-hamilton-loses-three-years-long-legal-battle-against-luxury-watchmakers/

19th November

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hamilton-vs-hamilton-f1-superstar-lewis-hamilton-loses-legal-battle-with-hamilton-watches/

20th November  "In a ruling this week"

Nothing   to do with 'gongs'.

3 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

So why print the article now when it say`s Last months ruling.

Happy to agree to disagree on this.

The ruling on the appeal by Lewis Hamilton's company was handed down this week. The original ruling was made in February. I can see no reference to 'Last Month's ruling' in any of the links provided by me - or in the on from the Fail .

Before you start judging people you need to understand this story fully, as it seems people are reading some small part of it as reported by the tabloid press and jumping to conclusions. 

Lewis Hamilton's company first applied to trademark his name, Lewis Hamilton is respect to product endorsement, something which many public figures do. It was Swatch that objected based on the fact that they felt it was too closed the the Hamilton watch trade name which they owned. 

Hamilton's IP44 company responded by trying to stop Swatch marketing Hamilton watches with perceived association to him, such as changing the font of their branding from their traditional script to one identical to that which he used to have on his car, and the chequered flag motif. They are not the official timekeeper for formula 1, or any of it's teams, that is TAG Heuer. Is it unreasonable of Lewis Hamilton, or his company to try and stop somebody else associating themselves, deliberately or otherwise with his success? The problem for Lewis is that the name is theirs, not something that was ever in dispute and the chequered flag is a generic symbol and very difficult to prove as being used with any fixed association. I do believe he was on a hiding to nothing in trying this case, but it's his money, if he wants to spend it on lawyers that's his business not mine, and not yours. 

many celebrities have successfully trademarked their names in relation to cosmetics, perfumes etc, to vilify Lewis Hamilton when trying to do the same is grossly unfair and extremely bigoted. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I`m looking at the first link provided by you Poppy. I can`t see February but can see December mentioned and the decision was handed down last month.

This is becoming tiresome, why won`t you simply agree to disagree.

I see it in the Fail, Hardly surprising they got something wrong - several things in fact.

As you may have gathered, I'n ot a LH fanboy. Perhaps you are