Lewis Hamilton 7 Times World Champion

Chelsea14Ian

Lewis Hamilton is not an island, he is part of something far, far bigger.....:default_coat:

Sorry. I think that the business that is Lewis Hamilton is so large that he himself would rely on advisors when it comes to things other than driving a car. Or should that be prarsites? Anyway, I would guess that the court case was probably a lawyers idea in the first place.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 19:07, Poppy said:

I see it in the Fail, Hardly surprising they got something wrong - several things in fact.

As you may have gathered, I'n ot a LH fanboy. Perhaps you are

I’m a fanboy, and proud to be. Don’t get me wrong I fully understand his flaws, but hey - who’s perfect?

never understood the British way of bashing our own. If he was German or French or from most other parts of the world he would be treated like royalty, but we prefer to always put the boot in. Odd behaviour IMO.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HemsbyPie said:

I’m a fanboy, and proud to be. Don’t get me wrong I fully understand his flaws, but hey - who’s perfect?

never understood the British way of bashing our own. If he was German or French or from most other parts of the world he would be treated like royalty, but we prefer to always put the boot in. Odd behaviour IMO.

So it's about 'flag waving' , is it ? :12_slight_smile:

• Like 2

This is a real bete noir of my husbandTony who is a huge admirer of Lewis and cannot understand why he is not given the credit he surely deservesl HIs driving achievmentds are second to none it seems. But he gets none of the feting that is meted out to other sports  personalities. I can't believe it is race related in this day and age. So what is it?

Carole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, addicted said:

This is a real bete noir of my husbandTony who is a huge admirer of Lewis and cannot understand why he is not given the credit he surely deservesl HIs driving achievmentds are second to none it seems. But he gets none of the feting that is meted out to other sports  personalities. I can't believe it is race related in this day and age. So what is it?

Carole

Probably because he uses something with an engine in it which environmentalists don't like so it's not PC. Similarly, we have Olympic medal winning trap shooters you never hear about after the closing ceremonies.

• Like 1

Watch every tv advert nowadays .and whilst I have no time for racism or discrimination in any form there is a unnatural desire to accelerate cultural diversity and I believe this knighthood is more to do with bending the knee 

He lives in the tax haven Monaco ( even dodged vat on his private jet ) works for the germans so my question is how does this man benefit Great Britain enough to gain a knighthood 

Give it to a waggon driver who has worked through the lockdowns to make sure you and your family had food on the table in the recent hard times because without him you ain't got Jack sh...it 

Didn't see good old lewis offering his driving skills when the country needed him 

Finny

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Probably because he uses something with an engine in

i think maybe thats the way a lot of people think,  did he win the race or was it the car,  could another driver have won if he had been driving,  similar to frankie dettori winning a big race,  did he win the race or was it the horse

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, finny said:

and whilst I have no time for racism or discrimination in any form

There are many perfectly acceptable forms of discrimination,

13 minutes ago, finny said:

there is a unnatural desire to accelerate cultural diversity

No, It's completely natural to be impatient when waiting for improvement.

15 minutes ago, finny said:

how does this man benefit Great Britain enough to gain a knighthood 

Fair question. perhaps Sir Gary Sobers can answer.

• Like 1

Lewis has won more world championships then any other driver in this country. For that alone he deserves  a Knighthood. There are many in sport and for that matter in other walks of life,have active less then him and have received  Knighthoods.When all said and done he is a seven time world champion. 

• Like 2

Okay Lewis Hamilton  is the only driver to win world championships over three decades. Done so with two teams.When he went to Mercedes, which was up and coming yet not the best.He has done much to make the car the best in F1.Of course,it is a well organised team.From the top to the bottom. The best drivers tend to attract the best team.I firmly believe he is the best of the best,am sure he will go on to win more World championships. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gancanny said:

i think maybe thats the way a lot of people think,  did he win the race or was it the car,  could another driver have won if he had been driving,  similar to frankie dettori winning a big race,  did he win the race or was it the horse

Fiteams all use telemetry now. Not only are various performance factors captured and transmitted live to the team, but there are a bunch of engineers backhere in the UK who can make adjustments as they go.

Bottas has had significantly  more DNFs than Hamilton, and he has often complained of unexplainable power loss when doing very well.  

I wonder just how different things could be if there was no telemetry .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gancanny said:

Good questions raised there and as someone who tried karting and has done a few race track days I would like to put it this way.

You need the skill to put the car within an inch of the apex of a curve on every curve to achieve the fastest lap to get pole postion then during a race you need cat like reactions and concentration to try and hit those apexs again and again for over an hour.

In karting and lower formulas there are tighter restrictions so the machinary is closer matched and the better driver tends to rise to the top. Could another driver have won in the same car, yes. People talk about Max  who is a very fast driver but has been soundly beaten by a driver currently running round near the back in a Williams so as in life sometimes  it ain`t fair and equal.

22 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Lewis has won more world championships then any other driver in this country. For that alone he deserves  a Knighthood. There are many in sport and for that matter in other walks of life,have active less then him and have received  Knighthoods.When all said and done he is a seven time world

Johnathan Rea from northern Ireland is the current world super bike champion 6 times in row 2015 .2016 .2017 .2018 .2019 .2020 without any recognition- yet still one of the country's most successful 

He even pays his taxes 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I sort of get where finny is coming from; LH is still relatively young so hasn't finished achieving yet but his networking skills could be said to be lacking a little polish. 

he's 36 in Jauary. That's getting on for 'old' in that game.

3 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Lewis Hamilton pays his taxes in the UK, he happens to live in central europe, along with most F1 drivers.

The 800 odd support team also pay taxes in the UK.

Every penny that he should ?

"The criticism intensified with the publication of the so-called Paradise Papers, leaked documents from an offshore law firm suggesting that Hamilton had avoided tax on his £16.5m Bombardier Challenger 605 aeroplane. According to The Guardian and BBC, which analysed the confidential files, the documents revealed a £3.3m VAT refund after the luxury jet was imported into the Isle of Man in 2013."

More here https://www.ft.com/content/8a3ebde2-c64b-11e7-b30e-a7c1c7c13aab

• Like 1

I don't suppose his tax affairs are any different to any other Brit who earns the kind of money he does. Again, you would have advisors to take of that.

He upset Stevenage by saying something along the lines that he had dragged himself out of a slum. And he's still not affraid to express his views. If he is to represent GB as a knight I think they'll want to be sure he can maintain a squeaky clean image in the media.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Every penny that he should ?

"The criticism intensified with the publication of the so-called Paradise Papers, leaked documents from an offshore law firm suggesting that Hamilton had avoided tax on his £16.5m Bombardier Challenger 605 aeroplane. According to The Guardian and BBC, which analysed the confidential files, the documents revealed a £3.3m VAT refund after the luxury jet was imported into the Isle of Man in 2013."

More here https://www.ft.com/content/8a3ebde2-c64b-11e7-b30e-a7c1c7c13aab

A bit pointless keep quoting articles from publications that someone has to sign up to to be able to read.

But,

Congratulations on finding a SEVEN year old report on VAT,

That is a company payment, not a personal tax payment. Keep digging if you wish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

networking skills could be said to be lacking a little polish. 

There's an understatement if ever there was one on this topic

I don't like how he portrays himself as having had a tough upbringing when we all know once Ron Dennis had 'Found him' from then on it was privileged. 

He could improve his image by just being honest.

Plus trying to force his will on other teams / drivers 'Taking the knee' then getting annoyed when they don't bend to his will is another sore point.

Didn't the F1 supremo's recently take him to task for using his position with regards to BLM and bringing the sport into disrepute?

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1