Lewis Hamilton 7 Times World Champion

Chelsea14Ian

One cannot deny that he is a phenomenal F1 driver and if , or probably more correctly when , he breaks the record for most championships won he will undoubtably receive recognition from the establishment ; I however will not be cheering that , yes his ability is deserving of such recognition but the way he has put his head above the parapet with his BLM stance and attended the rallies when such was prohibited under the covid-19 regulations displays a lack of respect toward the same establishment .

there is no room for radical politics in sport much can be achieved for good without taking that stance , take Marcus Rashford if he were to be awarded some kind of recognition I would wholeheartedly support that .

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

there is no room for radical politics in sport much can be achieved for good without taking that stance , take Marcus Rashford if he were to be awarded some kind of recognition I would wholeheartedly support that .

So it is not acceptable for one sportsman to campaign against racism and inequality but it is perfectly acceptable for another to tell government how it should spend YOUR money. One who's salary would buy 11 children school meals every minute, night and day.

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

So it is not acceptable for one sportsman to campaign against racism and inequality but it is perfectly acceptable for another to tell government how it should spend YOUR money. One who's salary would buy 11 children school meals every minute, night and day.

Totally acceptable to campaign for equality and racism , and something I support ,what IMHO is not acceptable is the way in which he felt he should do it .

Whilst one chose to put pressure through the media to get the government to reconsider their stance , the other chose to take part in illegal demonstrations .

Lewis Hamilton could have achieved the same media coverage using the same legal route , and not have caused the controversy that he has 

Both sportsmen earn huge salaries (some may say receive as opposed to earn) , and as such what they choose to do with it is up to them totally.

• Like 1

I fail to see the difference between wearing a t shirt and footballers taking a knee or making a salute, and you should be careful making statements which suggest he broke the law, which could be considered libelous. 

Whilst IMHO unwise, the BLM demonstrations which took place throughout May and June were deemed legal under the UK's right to protest, known as Article 11, which a high court judge ruled could not be repealed or rescinded by section 22 of the Corona Virus act. 

20 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

As a final comment , back to subject and congratulations for another successful season to Lewis Hamilton and his team 

Amen to that, though I never continue discussion in pm's (where it is my understanding the same TOS apply). If it cannot be debated in open forum then in my eyes it should not be debated. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Totally acceptable to campaign for equality and racism , and something I support ,what IMHO is not acceptable is the way in which he felt he should do it .

Lewis Hamilton could have achieved the same media coverage using the same legal route , and not have caused the controversy that he has 

Both sportsmen earn huge salaries (some may say receive as opposed to earn) , and as such what they choose to do with it is up to them totally.

But Hamilton doesn't live in the UK and doesn't pay UK taxes.. So until he does why should he have a say in anything in the UK..

• Like 3

What have I done.My reason for this post was simply to point  out,he's  outstanding achievement of winning  the seventh  F1 world championship.In all honestly there are many things Lewis does that I dont agree with.I feel he should be applauded for that achievement winning  seven times.

Well done Lewis.

• Like 5

Do you know what really gets to me. People with millions in the bank who race cars for a living getting  Knighthoods and then you hear of war veterans who have to sell their medals to survive. This country never fails to amaze me

If you read the 'My day' thread and the acts of kindness by Finny, Griff to name but a few, they deserve medals and so do our pesky Mods at times :default_biggrin:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

But Hamilton doesn't live in the UK and doesn't pay UK taxes.. So until he does why should he have a say in anything in the UK..

He pays his taxes in the UK.

He probably owns a property in the UK

They play the National Anthem every time he wins.

He often drapes himself in the Union flag.

I find his BLM campaign irritating,

I find his fashion sense weird,

But he is a seven times world champion and the first thing he does is to thank the fans, all fans, and his team.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

He pays his taxes in the UK.

He probably owns a property in the UK

They play the National Anthem every time he wins.

He often drapes himself in the Union flag.

I find his BLM campaign irritating,

I find his fashion sense weird,

But he is a seven times world champion and the first thing he does is to thank the fans, all fans, and his team.

His place of residence is Monaco, He has homes in Monaco, New York, Colorado.  He does not pay taxes in the UK. Except for a very very tiny proportion .

He has homes in Monaco, New York, Colorado.

Note the picture below, all of those companies are not based in the UK so none of that money will be taxed here..

Lewis-hamilton-income.jpg

9 hours ago, Gracie said:

If you read the 'My day' thread and the acts of kindness by Finny, Griff to name but a few, they deserve medals and so do our pesky Mods at times :default_biggrin:

I was with you until the last bit :default_norty: Only joking Mods :default_icon_kiss: but what about the Rockers. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

So people complain he doesn't pay UK taxes, but he is one of the highest UK tax payers.

People ask what has he done for charity? He financially supports a number of charities in the UK and around the world, he also donated US$500,000 to the Australian bush fires appeal. 

People criticise the sponsors on his overalls for not being British. What would you rather see, Jaguar? Rolls Royce? Bentley? Is it his fault that due to our governments ongoing policy of courting "overseas investment" that we have very few British companies left capable of sponsoring him?

People don't like his attitude, but his first comments after any race are for his fans, his team, the words "I couldn't do this without you" follow every race win. 

He has openly said a number of times he does not want to live in the UK because of the intrusion of the UK press, and who can blame him. He makes no secret of the fact that tax breaks in Monaco are also a factor. I wonder if those people berating him for living overseas are the same who posted their outpourings over the death of Sir Sean Connery, the famous Scot who lived the Bahamas, was extremely outspoken in the Scottish Independance debate despite not having lived there for decades and refusing to return to garner support in person because of the limited number of days per year he could spend in the UK before paying income tax? 

We don't all like everyone, there are people I don't like, but don't hide your dislike behind lies and falsehoods, man up and 'fess up and admit you just don't like the man, don't try and make it his fault. 

• Like 8