Evening Light 2

PAULG

We had a few problems at Dilham this year - on three visits the mooring was rammed with abandoned canoes, all tied by the bow with varying lengths of blue string. A certain amount of nudging was needed to wind No Worries and she's only 27'.

50 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The turning point is directly opposite the moorings. It won't be tight for a boat like yours. I was on the one you see here, which is the same model as you are on and there was plenty of room to turn, even if someone is moored there.

Dilham8.jpg

Great picture taken by a drone !

I agree with David. I took a 42 footer up there this year and turned with no problems.

One mistake less experienced folk make when turning in a tight space is simply not to turn the rudder enough. With the boat at a standstill, turn the wheel hard over and give a good burst of throttle to get water moving over the rudder. Bow thrusters are a great help of course. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 11:40, grendel said:

it does mean you can head up there late as once they all leave there is space overnight

They appear to be hire canoes, so I wonder if it's some  sort of designated itinerary for a group to meet up there for lunch at the Cross Keys.

On 17/11/2020 at 14:03, PAULG said:

I have booked for the 5th June overlooking the fishing season had not started :default_crying1animated:

Hopefully the bloody virus will have done one by then

I'm sure you'll (and us) be fine by then Paul. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I think the fishing normally starts on the 15th. If it's any consolation the rivers are usually quieter then after the May Bank Holiday. Lots of daylight and (usually) good weather. I'm afraid I'm not a fishing fan and often go at that time for the above reasons!! No offence of course!! :default_biggrin:

Hope you'll report back with your holiday tale and piccies!! :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RS2021 said:

3RR

Three Rivers Race

Just in case the OP is not familiar, this is probably the biggest yacht race in the Broads calendar and usually is held  the first weekend in June. it starts from Horning but will work up to Potter Heigham among other places. It is a great spectacle if you like flappy things - no doubt Mr Q and others could give advice. I think by the time they get to Potter they will have split up and spaced out so no great problem I would think. :default_sailing:

24 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Three Rivers Race

Just in case the OP is not familiar, this is probably the biggest yacht race in the Broads calendar and usually is held  the first weekend in June. it starts from Horning but will work up to Potter Heigham among other places. It is a great spectacle if you like flappy things - no doubt Mr Q and others could give advice. I think by the time they get to Potter they will have split up and spaced out so no great problem I would think. :default_sailing:

Bugger😬

:default_biggrin:  don't worry Paul - I'm not sure if anything definite has been organised yet! As I understand it the race starts from Horning on Saturday morning and contestants have the option of how they tackle the course - it covers Ludham Bridge, Acle Bridge and Potter Heigham Bridge hence the 3 rivers bit. Its all about tactics which order you tackle them in. It shouldn't bother you too much - just keep well over to the right hand bank if you see flappy stuff ahead or even better adjourn to the pub! :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

I read time and time again how difficult it is to turn in a narrow spot such as Dilham (10 point turns etc etc ) but all you have to do is to moor up and turn it on the ropes!! No sweat no bother and no hassle.

Same as Upton but despite having a bow thruster using your ropes is the simplest option most times. There is often a slight breeze or current in most places, but even if there isn't how hard  it to push  the bows off as far as you can and the walk the stern up until you can get the bow rope back - if your rope isnt long enough just join two bits together! Boats do float - how hard do you think it is???

One thing you won't do is any damage to anyone else by thrashing backwards and forwards - or is it a macho thing?? Whats the hurry - you probably have all the time in the world, relaxing as you should be!

P.S. I reckon your odds on getting to Hickling are about 50/1 at the best. Its not just the airdraft but the width most of the time - if its 12' beam your chances are lessened considerably - 6'10' and a 9/10' beam and you woould have more chance but they don't make boats like that any more!!!

• Like 1

The canoes mostly come from Banks Boats at Wayford and that would be the recommended route for them rather than up towards the Tonnage Bridge especially as they expect you to pay going up there.

However you can go by canoe, or you could a couple of years ago, fork left when you come to the bit where cruisers go right and up that narrow backwater - not so far to stagger to the pub. On the map shown earlier its actually shown as the canal but its not nowadays other than in a canoe - the Dilham bit went to Dilham Mill but that was only a short bit through the Bridge I believe.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

:default_biggrin:  don't worry Paul - I'm not sure if anything definite has been organised yet! As I understand it the race starts from Horning on Saturday morning and contestants have the option of how they tackle the course - it covers Ludham Bridge, Acle Bridge and Potter Heigham Bridge hence the 3 rivers bit. Its all about tactics which order you tackle them in. It shouldn't bother you too much - just keep well over to the right hand bank if you see flappy stuff ahead or even better adjourn to the pub! :default_beerchug:

Sounds like a plan. We came across a few this year no problem.

I had the vision of it just being rammed with them.

we don’t pick the boat up while Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1