Latest Project - A Flappy!

floydraser

Star Yachts were the pond yachts of the toy shop when I was a boy, very simple, no RC or anything like that. Many did not have a rudder you learnt how to balance the sails to go straight. They had a large range from about 6" loa.

I had my collection for ever! moving to Norfolk with them.

Judith and I would often take some to Sherringham to sail them, there is a nice pond there. Over the last few years when some holidaying lad has taken an interest, with the permission of a parent I have given most I had away. I retain2 or 3. My favourite is Southern Star on the left of the picture which I bought in Swanage when I was 10. Original, very soiled sails including a round cigarette burn from me having a crafty "Weights". You could buy them in 5s.

They were made in Birkenhead and the factory had quite a large workforce.

20201120_082606.thumb.png.e06fa8647afc7fd271c155f833cfa517.png

My collection when we arrived in Norfolk. As I say just 2 or 3 left now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had intended to say that there was a Pond Yacht Builder who were very similar to Star with Norfolk roots.

Bowman yachts of Haisbro, their deck label was almost identical to Star's. Although they carried the name "Bowman Haisboro" they were infact made in Riddlington.

I think their production was very much more a cottage, one man and his dog affair because they don't come up for sale that much and normally make a lot more money than Star.

360_352770d8707632f4a4ccfb8da68c2188.jpg.ccb9e82d912016ea24ed571a8e3117e1.jpg360_34add186e5d6ec753fa815916fc0da10.jpg.1cee09cb2c60702c2bdf1278d457c493.jpg

Bowman boats, note the deck plaque similarities.

The hayday of Pond Yachting was probably the Edwardian era. They had some seriously large craft that nowadays bring seriously large amounts of money.

It is a shame that so many are just used for display now, but ponds a few now. We are lucky in Norfolk there is/ was a large following in Norwich and as I say Sheringham has a lovely well maintained pond. Cromer's is smaller but it is up and running every summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pond Yachts, especially Star and  to a lesser degree, Bowman, fetch very healthy prices right now, says someone who has bought and renovated one or too!  Nostalgia is a wonderous thing, sometimes profitable too. 

Trouble is that now other 'old boys' want to buy to renovate and the gap between knackered and pristine has closed, regrettably for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I think their production was very much more a cottage, one man and his dog affair because they don't come up for sale that much and normally make a lot more money than Star.

Always thought that Bowman were better sailing boats and yes, they do fetch good and often much better money, just a case of finding the right customer. Everyone and their dog knows about Star. The very sociable hours, as a kid,  spent beside various model yacht ponds have provided good and lasting memories. 

• Like 1

I thought this subject may provoke a bit of interest! :default_smiley-char054:

I'm a bit late because Friday morning is my running around after relatives time.

I wasn't actually present at the auction, it was live but online and no previous viewing was allowed. Here's the one and only pic from the online catalogue:

1100037926.thumb.JPG.8c9256f2694b42b6f11b817b5f33031d.JPG

As you can see it looks a bit sad and I guessed there was only one sail. There should be a stand but from the faded paint you can see where it went. No radio control but with the tiny systems they use for indoor model planes I wonder if it's possible to retro fit it without spoiling the lines?

Chris is of course spot on, she's an SB-5. SB being Super Bermuda. I thought it would be a bit of fun to have with the Grandchildren if it came in cheap enough which it did, but now as with the Denham Owl, I have accidentaly bought something of a classic!

There is loads of interesting and informative stuff about these yachts here: http://www.birkenheadstaryachts.co.uk/index.htm

I have already downloaded sail plans and sent a video link to the contact address. I have just had very long and informative email reply from a Gent who informs me these are getting very hard to find and it dates between 1972 and 1980. There's a list of boating ponds I don't remember seeing Sheringham on there, thanks for that Chris.

So I'll most likely video the work on it but I'm not sure I should show the links here anymore as I'm well and truly intimidated by grendel's skills.:default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1

Thanks for the link.

This collage is of my late wife and I racing a pair of Star Endeavours across the pond at Sheringham to each other. The google earth shows the pond. It is right at the western end of the front on top of the cliffs. A pleasant way to spend a couple of hours! In keeping with us being in a bygone age we would stop for afternoon tea at The Sea Marge in Overstrand on the way home.

20201120_142725.thumb.jpg.dec985b65cd2f32229e37786a6b27756.jpg

20201120_142759.thumb.jpg.904aa0643db93542fb62ebe282b6ac0a.jpg

• Thanks 1

Re radio control, might be possible, maybe a simple left and right system. Perhaps a set up out of a basic, toy car, You might need to do a spot of routing but I suspect that there is plenty of beef under the deck. Be aware though, she probably won't then be as collectable, so to speak. My Star days date back to the 1950's, give or take, they had less pretty hulls back then! You done good winning that auction, I'm in suitable envy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re radio control, might be possible, maybe a simple left and right system. Perhaps a set up out of a basic, toy car, You might need to do a spot of routing but I suspect that there is plenty of beef under the deck. Be aware though, she probably won't then be as collectable, so to speak. My Star days date back to the 1950's, give or take, they had less pretty hulls back then! You done good winning that auction, I'm in suitable envy.  

A relative flies indoor planes similar to this: https://www.tjdmodels.com/multiplex-funnycub-indoor-edition-00888-p-30496.html?cPath=12_29_79&page=2

The radio gear is tiny. Without looking into it I wonder if it's possible to fix it to the deck without spoiling the originality. The hull is hollow so it would fit inside but with a lot of work. I was lucky at the auction. Without viewing you would think people wouldn't want to pay too much for things but they do sometimes; you have to set your limit and stick to it. It cost me £25 with fees but it's a hobby and for that you pay. I'm already starting to get my money's worth though, with this thread and the video! :default_smiley-char054:

I'll be doing videos of the other stuff I bought at auction and so far there's an accordion, two cuckoo clocks, a back rest and a trumpet!

3 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Please learn how to play far away on the Trumpet! :default_biggrin:

That must be a very popular tune; everyone asks me to play that just as I start to practise. They must think I'm good!:default_unsure:

The accordions better anyway as it sounds like several trumpets. You'll soon find out when I play it in Brundall. :default_hiding:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, floydraser said:

That must be a very popular tune; everyone asks me to play that just as I start to practise. They must think I'm good!:default_unsure:

The accordions better anyway as it sounds like several trumpets. You'll soon find out when I play it in Brundall. :default_hiding:

Thought I heard thay you were planning on moving the owl elsewhere, anything to get out of buying me that pint eh!

:default_biggrin:

Being of strange mind the thread  led me to believe it might be of   image.png.4d510da196dd4aedce7c0bdd16a092f2.png

A Great Western Star class locomotive.

Or this a Star class keelboat on Wroxham broad

image.png.2b5880784acb03558f1a4d195a2b3206.png

Horning sailing club have radio control racing one afternoon/evening  a week but they only race the laser RC model.

• Like 1