Boats Hot Water Tanks

Andrewcook

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:
16 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder how many people died as a result of having the old Ascot style water heaters, either by Co or explosion

I should have been more specific. I meant to say "on boats."

I know that a lot of people had the front of their hair singed off when trying to light them - me included!

Frightfully dangerous things they were, on a boat.

Was it "Paloma" or a name like that which was frequently used on boats before the BSS scheme started?

My question remains however. was it a frequent occurrence that a fatality or serious injury resulted from the usage of these devices?

Second question. I know that within the diesel heating systems, there are some that feed radiators. Is there one that can be used to heat water for a hot water tank? or better still is there one that can do radiators AND hot water tanks? (and how many amps would the 12v pumps involved draw?)

The more questions I ask, the more I think of!

Eberspacher call it hydronic IIRC. Basically a regular eber burner with water heat exchanger instead of blown air, yes they can do hot water to run through a calorifier or radiators but wether they would be up to both I don't know.

You would need a separate circulation pump I would imagine which would all eat into your available amps.

Webasto do a similar system which pumps hot water through little radiators in each cabin and each radiator has a small fan which blows warm air into the cabin.  This can also be used (I am told) to heat hot water but on a hire boat the engine does that, so we didn't bother!  To be honest, they are a bit of a faff and each little radiator is another fan to break down and need replacing.  We also had problems with air locks in the pipes now and again. The whole set up is a bit noisy as well.

If you want a real all singing central heating system then you need the Kabola, which is a mini version of the oil fired heating in a house and supplies household type radiators in each cabin, plus hot water at all times, day and night. I have worked on hire boats with these and they are very effective but expensive on parts if they break.  Problem would be the cost of installation which I imagine would be prohibitive, if you are not building it into a new boat.  Peachments in Brundall have fitted them for Haines and could quote you if were interested.

• Like 2

I have fitted a couple of the Webasto wet systems Vaughan talks about and love them.

A combination of radiators, where there is room, and blown air heat exchangers where it's a bit tight will be a good combination.  A loop to the calorifier is well worth it.

To cope with air locks I find a couple of strategically placed abv's  (automatic bleed valves) make a tremendous difference.

Pressurise to 1bar like a domestic combi boiler and away you go.

• Like 1

I have a hydronic Ebo on Sunbird, does hot water, radiator, and hot air matrix, no problem. You do need a twin coil calorifier, one coil off the engine, one for the Ebo heating circuit. Mine is not pressurised in any way, just a small header tank above the highest point of the system. No pump needed, it's all in the Hydronic unit.

I have fitted two webasto 50 water heaters on my two previous boats one of the few things i got full value from the first one i had ran  blown matrex's worked fine but was heavy on battery last boat just heated the water marvelous bit of kit very economical BUT when it went wrong,  it was just a diode on the printed circuit,  i had to buy the heat exchanger just to get a new printed £10=00 circuit board, i couldn't replace the diode as the circuit board was encased in a tough plastic film, so instead of 50p it was over £300=00. on my presant boat i have a Hurricane boiler( similar to Kobola) that are used in log cabins in Canada its in a bigger box but each item is replaceable individually if it goes wrong it is approx same price as Eberspacher but does take up more space but works just like household central heating,  very very pleased with it they are also popular on liveaboard canal boats, John

• Like 2