Thinking Out Aloud...broads Authority

Cheesey69

11 hours ago, Upcycler said:

So for one year it wont hurt for wildlife to be in the drivers seat instead of boat owners and hire companies.

It's a point of view and this is a forum, so no problem there!

I would contend though, that the wildlife we enjoy on the Broads is there, and thrives there, because of the way it is managed.  In most places the sight of that wildlife can only properly be enjoyed by water.  This is the reason why I am happy to pay my river toll even though I can't use the boat this year.

I wonder what sort of wildlife there would be if we just let it all go back to a peat bog?  That may be one of the RSPB's favourite dreams but there would be no public access for anyone to enjoy the wildlife!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I would contend though, that the wildlife we enjoy on the Broads is there, and thrives there, because of the way it is managed.

So very true. As it is there is so much of the Broads that is boat free, see here:

https://www.norfolkbroads.com/story/what-are-the-norfolk-broads-1159/

In my view, the Broads continually evolves and our furry friends have an established place and indeed are part and parcel of the Broads experience. Without mentioning what the Broads isn't I will repeat what the Broads is, it is the Broads. 

41 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

I have heard from different programs on the tv how certain birds are nesting closer to the broads bank and seals have been seen in the Thames. Surely lock down has given wildlife breathing space on the rivers? 

Seals have been in the Thames for years and even up the Lea nothing new there.

Fred

15 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Seals have been in the Thames for years and even up the Lea nothing new there.

Fred

I saw a clip recently with Bill Bailey/Thames/Seals on paddle boaters boards. Was this some kind of fake entertainment as I have never ever heard of seals being seen in the Thames?

21 hours ago, Upcycler said:

I saw a clip recently with Bill Bailey/Thames/Seals on paddle boaters boards. Was this some kind of fake entertainment as I have never ever heard of seals being seen in the Thames?

Dont know about the clip but Seals have been in the Thames for years including breading colonies towards the estuary.

Fred