Wifi Booster Reccomendation

I'm more into vintage electronics so I might be talking rubbish - but my theory is that an analogue signal (like old radio) can be boosted because it is weak but all there if that makes sense. Digital however is basically a binary signal so it's either there or it isn't. That's why you get the 'Norman Collier' effect with DAB radio etc. In other words if a signal is not there or bits missing it can't be boosted. 

As usual more than happy to be shot down, just a theory :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

With digital signals the way the signal is emitted can mean that being too close to the transmitter is bad. A digital signal can still be strong or weak, but unlike analogue where a device will make the best of whatever signal it gets, with digital a device either has enough data or it doesn't, so you don't get fuzzy snowy pictures on digital TV for example, either you get a picture, or if the signal is too weak it will break up and stop. 

The same is true with digital data, although once you have sufficient signal to create a connection the strength of the signal can still effect the data width available and therefore download and upload speeds. 

What you need is a wireless repeater, which connects to the marina wifi then creates a new signal that you connect your phone and other devices to. They do come in different "flavours" and the decent ones are not cheap so I would be inclined to get some basic information from the marina, such as what devices they use, then seek professional help as to what type of extender to use. 

The strength of an extender is that they have much more powerful receivers and antennae than your mobile phone or tablet, so can maximise what signal is available, however if there is no signal the best devices in the world will not help you. The best have the option for external antennae which could be important in your situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1