'Pencil' and 'Spider' cracks in GRP

We noticed a few of these last week along where the GRP joins onto the Aluminum awning rail, they are no longer than 2cm, mostly vertical, with a couple of places grouped to form a spider configuration, they look just like pencil lines, but nothing will shift them, and i doubt they go full thickness as theres no interior water ingress and the damp meter readings are all within normal range.

So the question is, what can we do or use to get rid of them, and to prevent any re-occuring in the future? If they are just Gelcoat cracks, is it possible to somehow paint over them or use some kind of touch up paint? :)

Julz :wave

Stress cracks in the gel coat Julz, short of grinding them out and redesigning or re fixing stuff to remove the stress and recoating there's nothing you can do permanently, apart from quite literally "painting over the cracks" that is.

Thanks for the reply David cheers i thought that was the case, but just wondered if there was a product out there which would cover them up slightly, we did take quite a bashing in the wind last week with some force 7s blowing along the Menai straights, along with lashings of heavy rain.

It was also so sad to see the remains of Dickies Yard, one of the main new boat dealerships and chandlers in the area, which had been burnt out by a fire since our last visit a few months ago, and by the looks of things will not be returning to reopen in the same location, the land now destined to be a redevelopment area for some posh appartments according to the planning notices pinned to the boarding. We found some good slipway facilities though at the new Conwy marina, they have worked hard at the upgrades of berths there over the last few years since the housing complex was built, and now have floating pontoons with EHU, and some very fine craft moored there, nice to see it so busy at this early part of the season, and watch all the salty bottoms having so much fun :dance

Any good cleaner and polish will remove the dirt from the cracks and make them less visible but it's all really just painting over the cracks, fortunately it's only cosmetic, I say only as they do get worse over time and if the dirt gets really engrained then a V groove and re gelling is the only way, even then matching the colour is a nightmare.

I might just get brave and try the CIF out on one small crack in an inconpicuous place and see what happens :naughty::lol::lol:

I was told about some stuff called 'Creeping Crack Cure' by an old seadog on the Marina, but being as he was a wooden fishing boat owner, i then doubted that he had tried it out for himself on his own craft! :lol: