3 Tiers

12 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Bad news Peter, All shops open up 3rd December, no excuse. :default_biggrin:

I like online shopping, I have a bandsaw and sash clamps on the way for Christmas :default_xmas3:

I like online shopping.

That tap on the door. The weekly shop from Stressco's 

The Amazon delivery.

The postman and the binmen. 

Tesco is now encouraging thier delivery drivers to stop, have a little chat with thier customers. We do and enjoy our weekly meeting.

Christmas will be a difficult time for many. More difficult than we can ever imagine however I do believe that this forum will provide for some if not many, a focus on that which will ultimately be achieved.

Boats, Cruising, Sailing, the rivers, the broads, the people, in the year which will follow.

Andrew.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, My situation is a little different.

I do admire what you are doing to look after your friend’s Mum. That’s just about the best example of love and friendship.

Love and friendship would normally be why we want to bring Dad down to MK, but everything is so topsy turvy at present. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

my Christmas day is likely to  be at my parents, as i am part of their support bubble, i might get to see my sister as she lives round the corner and is the rest of their support bubble, i am needed as the only one with transport for the big monthly shop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveP said:

Agree 100% with this, I emailed my MP yesterday to suggest he thinks about his employment status after the next election. He says he's already complained to Boris, sadly I don't expect common sense to break out any time soon.  That's the original post I was replying to.

At the last election nobody of any political persuasion voted for their MP on the basis of their ability to handle a pandemic. At the next election it will be all over and the same should apply as there will be different issues to address. Anyone voting retrospectively because of this...  well, I'd be banned if I said it!:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I have a bandsaw and sash clamps on the way for Christmas

on that note i have made several engineering purchases, first a number of involute cutters for my mill, then an arbour to mount them onto the mill, now i have managed to get a dividing head on ebay so i can cut gears, i think the word is oops.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Anyone voting retrospectively because of this...  well, I'd be banned if I said it!:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Competency to lead effectively based on recent history sounds to me like a factor worth considering when exercising ones right to vote....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Competency to lead effectively based on recent history sounds to me like a factor worth considering when exercising ones right to vote....

Yes, I agree with that, but it's impossible to judge whether anyone else would or could have done better. Differently yes, but would it have been better.

No doubt that when we have the full story viewed with hindsight, there will be those who try to make party political gains. Some of the points that will be raised will be valid... No, change that to "most of the points will be valid", but what we will never know is what other actions other parties would have taken.

We can rest assured that if something another leader thought, turned out top be a bad idea, we will never be told.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry but I thought this forum is non political, given that the thread is still running all I can say is thank god Corbyn and Trump are not running the country, if you want to blame anyone then point your accusations at those that nick picked the law or those that think they are above it, they are the ones spreading covid not the government.

Fred 

I haven’t mentioned Government or Politics... As yet.. it’s the idiots who advise The government... Yes I could nick pick at the ones who didn’t follow the Rules especially The Protests from travelling all over the country to one place NOT caring at all or not respecting others but if I do that I could be called a racist... I could go on and on and Bournemouth beach episode... and so on ....

My original OP is to why where I live comes under a Tier 3 when my neighbours up the road are Tier 2...  So it comes down to not researching into actual high level areas and closing down a small area but shutting down a whole big area...

But it’s going to be ok for everyone for 5 days to travel over the UK to visit who we want... And spread the virus in mass..  So in the New year we will be in yet another Lockdown due to the 5 day mass spread.. But then you get shut up and live with it.... Easily said and done .. No body has mentioned Mental Health issues at all... I know a few people who haven’t ventured out Since March suffering from depression and misery not been able to have family visits or see love ones..

Since the start of this pandemic I have followed every Government guide lines regarding COVID 19... and continue to follow them... Even tho that I had the virus earlier on in year and was very ill with it..

• Like 4

I sort of get your point SC, and yes, it is very easy to read party politics into some posts, including your own, and probably some of mine, however carefully we write them.

We know that the government is in a "no win" position party politically speaking, and yes, the vast majority of the country is running within the spirit of the law, sometimes at the risk of their own health.

Where I do find myself a little lost is your point "Nobody has mentioned Mental Health issues at all."

Maybe old age is making me an 'old grump' but it seems to me that mental health issues have been mentioned interminably. I seem to hear nothing else on TV, and the papers are full of it.

Now we worry about loneliness of the elderly. Perhaps had we worried about it a little more before the pandemic, we'd be in a far batter place. but no. The elderly have been lonely for many years now.

We worry about the children not being able to get out in the fresh air and playing sport with each other. Odd that! for the last 20 years those young people have been sitting in their bedrooms concentrating on how many "friends" they have on Facebook.

No. All this worrying about other peoples mental health is little more than a smoke screen used by those intent on stirring up unrest.  

Sorry, I know this sounds like a rant from someone who doesn't care. It isn't. It's a rant from someone who is wondering why everyone else suddenly cares.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lockdown 3 or any of the tiers wont be a problem on January 1st because after Brexit no one will have any money to go out and spend anyway.

Really? My work diary has been rammed full all year, still is and is currently booked right into the middle of March, I'm running 4 x months in front of mysen.  What I could do with is an eight day week with a thirty hour day.  All these clients of mine are managing their available funds quite well it seems.

Griff

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I sort of get your point SC, and yes, it is very easy to read party politics into some posts, including your own, and probably some of mine, however carefully we write them.

We know that the government is in a "no win" position party politically speaking, and yes, the vast majority of the country is running within the spirit of the law, sometimes at the risk of their own health.

Where I do find myself a little lost is your point "Nobody has mentioned Mental Health issues at all."

Maybe old age is making me an 'old grump' but it seems to me that mental health issues have been mentioned interminably. I seem to hear nothing else on TV, and the papers are full of it.

Now we worry about loneliness of the elderly. Perhaps had we worried about it a little more before the pandemic, we'd be in a far batter place. but no. The elderly have been lonely for many years now.

We worry about the children not being able to get out in the fresh air and playing sport with each other. Odd that! for the last 20 years those young people have been sitting in their bedrooms concentrating on how many "friends" they have on Facebook.

No. All this worrying about other peoples mental health is little more than a smoke screen used by those intent on stirring up unrest.  

Sorry, I know this sounds like a rant from someone who doesn't care. It isn't. It's a rant from someone who is wondering why everyone else suddenly cares.

I get where you're coming from MM. The term "mental health" and "mental health issues" have become two of those over used "trump cards" that it has become very difficult to question. If someone says they have mental health issues is it ok to ask them to be more specific? Would it be ok to ask if they have seen a doctor about it? A young person on a news article about affordable homes said that not being able to buy a home was affecting their mental health. 

Maybe we should stop using the overall term and go back to reffering to indivdual issues.

We didn't have "mental health issues" back in 1992, is it possible to claim retrospectively?:default_coat:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Lockdown 3 or any of the tiers wont be a problem on January 1st because after Brexit no one will have any money to go out and spend anyway.

Really? My work diary has been rammed full all year, still is and is currently booked right into the middle of March, I'm running 4 x months in front of mysen.  What I could do with is an eight day week with a thirty hour day.  All these clients of mine are managing their available funds quite well it seems.

Griff

Hi Griff. I looked around the forum and couldn't find a "tongue in cheek" font there. :default_biggrin: Sorry for the confusion.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, floydraser said:

We didn't have "mental health issues" back in 1992, is it possible to claim retrospectively?:default_coat:

The term grew out of a move to try to destigmatise a whole range of health problems including everything from a phobia to bipolar. It has helped many people seek help who before would suffer, often their whole lives, rather than seek the help they desperately needed.

I'm not in fact disagreeing with you and MM because, like in so many other things, the press and lazy journalists seize upon it and use it as a buzzword until all the original benefit of the term as a descriptor is lost.

One day hopefully all ailments will simply be "health problems" without need to focus on where exactly they are located.

• Like 4

I looked at the map which colours individual towns and villages by there condition above or below average, which is largely what determines the tier you are in, and everywhere seems to be above average. We are above average despite there being no cases in the two villages which make up our little section of the map. 

Now I'm no mathematician but surely not everywhere can be above average?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, floydraser said:

At the last election nobody of any political persuasion voted for their MP on the basis of their ability to handle a pandemic. At the next election it will be all over and the same should apply as there will be different issues to address. Anyone voting retrospectively because of this...  well, I'd be banned if I said it!:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Quite true  nobody did but I don't remember any candidate promising to cancel any very hard won civil rights either but that's what they've done. My post also said that my MP had already complained to Boris indicating that he agreed with me . It'll all be over at the next election? .My grandchildren will be paying for this lunacy for donkeys years, long after we're all gone.Voting retrospectively? thats what happens at every election isn't it , it's the only way we have to keep them honest.

• Like 1

Might just be my imagination but is there not a massive "Elephant In The Room" here ?

I might be missing something but I have seen nothing even hinting at New Years Eve celebrations.

Does not the Christmas easing of restrictions end some 3/4 days before ? If Christmas results in nationwide spikes what will New Year do ?

Somehow I don't see your usual party animals passing up the chance to kick 2020 into touch, not that 2021 will be any different to start with at least, it's a huge time for pubs and clubs.

Surely the "Powers That Be" have it under consideration, or are we in for more last minute patching ?

Whatever, here at MB Towers we shall continue to keep our heads down until vaccination, and beyond, courtesy of Tesco's priority deliveries (Charge now £5.50, was £2.00). No choice really with my copd and Daffy Dear's asthma.

Psychicsurveyor's post on pleasing all the people (Not) is so so right, I can't say we should please ourselves because that is clearly a major part of the problem.

Which is why Gracie says it so much better - Take care and stay safe.

• Like 3

I try to avoid these virus discussions as there are a lot of areas where I remain unconvinced about the way it is being handled.

But of one thing, I am certain!  Here in France, all was well and the virus was contained in the Paris area and the north east corner around Alsace.  There was some also in Bordeaux, which is a huge city.  Then all of a sudden, July arrived and everyone charged off for their sacrosanct summer holidays on the beach.  Within a week, the virus was all over France.

There is no question at all I am afraid, that holiday travel spreads the virus, so Christmas is set to be no different.

I am also mindful that my father was one of only 57 servicemen who escaped the fall of Hong Kong to the Japanese, on Christmas Eve in 1941.  The last thing he ever saw of Hong Kong, as he escaped in his MTB, was his own house, on the cliffs above Stanley Bay, in flames.

Christmas is lovely, for most, but it is by no means essential.

• Like 4

Ahh yes, Christmas get-togethers Vs New Years Eve get-togethers. There is a considerable difference between these two celebrations. Putting the religious significance to one side for a moment, to keep within the ToS, it is the manner by which these two dates are celebrated which causes the problems.

Christmas is a family affair. Relatives all getting together and arguing round a substantial meal then falling asleep through whichever Bond film is being shown.

New years eve tends to be people who wouldn't normally give the time of day, hugging each other in amongst complete strangers, then hugging them.

So, the first involves killing your relatives where the second involves killing total strangers. This will never be acceptable.

• Like 7

If one accepts that the "Christmas Cull" is what the gutter press and populace desire and expect, then it makes sense to start with as low a position re: infection/hospitalisation as possible. Hence the stricter tier system this time round. The headline this morning is that hospitals would be overun without them.

As for elderly loneliness, it is a difficult one, but I am afraid it is, in most cases, symptomatic of the ageing process. None of us like to think as we enjoy life with our soul-mate that one day, one or the other will be left alone. So we don't plan for it. I knew 10 months before that I would be alone, I am a planner, forward thinker by nature and occupation and thought that I had it canned. But I had it wrong. I am afraid there is no one-stop solution, everyone is different. There is a gulf of difference between chosen solitude, which can be very positive and loneliness.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

You are like my son,   so busy , trying to employ extra staff but it is a joke.    Just cannot get skilled people.    So it is not all doom and gloom.

• Like 1

You know over all I think it makes people feel better being able to talk about things like the dreaded Covid and this Forum is great for allowing us to do so whether we contribute or not. It's kind of settling to know what others feel and think but I'll tell you this much, there's no way a James Bond film will be showing in my house :default_biggrin: x

• Like 3

But how many "run-off-my-feet" individuals does it take to replace 8000 jobs + 10000 in the supply chain. When Nissan pull the plug on Sunderland, as they will if there is no deal. They will not close, they can't, the planning is measured in years. There will just be no new models go to that plant and one, The Leaf, is not the freshest of electric offerings now. Something like 80% of Sunderland production goes overseas.

The UK has to trade and I am afraid alot of busy sectors reported recently do nothing for our Balance of Payment figures. I seriously worry that the source of this boom in many buoyant areas is fuelled by the single biggest fiscal miscalculation in years. Osbourne allowing access to pensions. Furthermore rising unemployment, taxes, etc will not be felt until Q3 2021 at earliest.

• Like 2